Super Bowl Observations By a Local

hjwii

I work and live in the French Quarter. So, the Super Bowl is two days away, and I have a few observations I'd like to pass on...

1) The generic Super Bowl Logo, in all it's silver and grey dullness, is lost in the streets of New Orleans. In the past, there were brightly colored, unique logos that could be seen from great distances. And there would be merchadise with that logo everywhere: sweats, jackets, t-shirts, caps... I'm a logo/uniform nerd, so I'm looking for it, and I'm not seeing it. I did walk into a shop to consider buying a sweatshirt, but the silver/grey on a black shirt is just not appealing to me:

p13936979dt.jpg

Please bring back unique logos...

2) Even though tickets are costing $1,500.00 and hotel rooms are $750.00 a night, the majority of the jerseys I see on the street are fakes. Did they spend all their money getting here and on tickets? Or, is $300.00 to much for a shirt to wear on Bourbon Street that might get puked on?

3) Driving pass the Superdome on media day, I saw 3 different people wearing basically the same jersey: one half 49ers, the other half Ravens. The name on the back of the jersey: Harbaugh. The number: 47. And all look like the right fonts and numbers. I wish I could have taken a picture, but that would have been irresponsible while driving.

4) The City of New Orleans has whored itself out to the NFL. Many public areas (Jackson Square, Woldenberg Park, any open sapce around the Superdome) has been taken over by the NFL or some other corporate entity. Streets are being closed everywhere. Off ramps on the interstate are no longer accesible. And then the NFL tried to incorporate a "clean zone" so many blocks around the Dome and downtown, which basically said that no business could have advertising/promotions that was not NFL sanctioned. I think that one's still in court.

Talking to the small business owners here in the Quarter, they are worried that the amount of activity the NFL has set up away from the Quarter is hurting them. I think there is a lot going on down here in the Quarter, but a lot has been pulled to the riverfront, away from the heart of the Quarter. That said, I'm not sure where things like the NFL Experience ($25 a person) could be held, other than in the convention center. But, I can see that there are busses pulling up to the hotels and taking these people elsewhere, out of the Quarter.

Hopefully, the money brought in by the Super Bowl will help the city's coffers, but, right now, if you don;t live and die by the NFL, it sucks to be a citizen in New Orleans.

5) Seen a lot of these signs up around town:

vilma23s-1-web.jpg

I hope those businesses practice what they preach....

Overall, this Super Bowl, from a resident's point of view, is just flat. But, that's just my observation...

Great observations. I agree about the SB logo. I used to collect programs and pins, but why do that now when it all looks the same?

I can see the argument for consistency, but somehow I believe that there is a degree of laziness on the leagues part.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

vilma23s-1-web.jpg

Pathetic.

It's somehow Goodell's fault that Payton & Co. lied through their teeth to the league?

People always want someone/something to blame. It's always the "someone else did it" mentality.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

vilma23s-1-web.jpg

Pathetic.

It's somehow Goodell's fault that Payton & Co. lied through their teeth to the league?

People always want someone/something to blame. It's always the "someone else did it" mentality.

Or as I like to call it "Livin the American Dream"

Archived