Lafarge's Penn State Yakball

MDGP

Well, it seems I've been eliminated by Alabama due to 25 tasteless pieces of sh--

Only joking! Congrats and good luck to dbroalexander and his phenomenal design in the Elite Eight. It was a great choice to advance, and teaches me the lesson to never again make jokes about Nick Saban, because it will always come back to bite me in the ass somehow.

Unfortunately though, those correct choices mean I'm out, so I wanted to post my design for some C+C by you voters.

PSUYakball_zps1e91c33d.png

Logos: Nothing particularly special here, just the normal Oval Lion Head, and S logos that are common at Penn State. The word mark was the biggest deviation, as it strays from our current wordmark. I'm in no way a fan of the mark, and I didn't use it anywhere, so I stuck with the Athletic Block used on the uniforms.

Field: The field was tougher than I expected, particularly which arena to have the team play in. Our basketball teams play in the Bryce Jordan Center, but I'm rather fond of Rec Hall, where I spend much of my time and where Volleyball plays games. In the end, I went with the BJC for logo purposes. Center court features the Lion Head, and mid court features the B1G logo and the BJC logo. The crease is blue with the secondary mark.

Uniforms:

First note, I loved when Nike used quotes on their uniforms, so for this I used the first three words of our Alma Mater, For The Glory.

Clash

The clash was actually the first uniform I created. It originally was strictly based on the football and hockey uniforms, featuring white striped sleeves. I added the wordmark and numbers to the front featuring silver outlines, which are common amongst most PSU and gives a nice collegiate feel. Then I started noticing lots of PSU T-shirts with the white stripe across the front, and I thought I'd try it out. I thought the look screamed Penn State, so I kept it. The shorts and socks are Navy, and feature white stripes. The Lion Head logo can be found on the shorts and above the nameplate. The uniform features Junior center Salvatore De Costa.

Home

Originally I had a matching uniform to the blue one, and didn't like it. Instead, I decided to look for inspiration from other sports, and I decided to loosely base the home design on a sport that I absolutely love, Women's Volleyball (Hell yes I am serious). I used shoulder stripes similar to their uniforms, and instead of the modern stripes, that curl under the sides (I tried it, couldn't make it work), so I went with a more traditional under arm stripe. Shorts and socks are white and feature Navy stripes, and the logos, like on the clash feature the primary logo. The uniform features First-Team All-American Sophomore Matt Robida, wearing #8. Incidentally, I felt that this had more of a primary uniform feel, so it got promoted to primary status.

That's about it, send me some feedback!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

If you're looking for some criticisms you're getting none from me. The set works perfectly with Penn State. Unfortunately it's the simplicity of Penn State aesthetics that cost you in the voting I assume, which ultimately was what knocked me out :P

Midway.png

Thanks for the comments guys, it's good to see that this was liked, and I'm really happy that I was able to come up with something that you think Penn State would actually use (Maybe when we start playing Yakball I can influence the uniform design).

Unfortunately it's the simplicity of Penn State aesthetics that cost you in the voting I assume, which ultimately was what knocked me out :P

This was actually my biggest concern when it came to my design, Penn State, unfortunately, doesn't allow for the major creativity that some of the other schools allowed.

Raysox, thanks a lot, and congratulations for garnering so much interest for Yakball and organizing an incredible tournament. I don't remember a contest with 32 contestants who quite frankly had a concept that'd be good enough to win. I was also hoping to post a series of international Yakball concepts that I've been working on for a long time (actually before you began posting your international series), and was hoping to get your permission to do so beforehand.

Anyone else want to give C+C? There's got to be someone out there with some criticism, and I want to hear it!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived