EuroBasket 2013

Philsphan

Hi everyone,

After finishing the Global Baseball League last summer, a baseball league that spanned North America, South America, Asia and the Caribbean, I knew my next project would be a European Basketball League.

For the past 3 years, I have been developing identities, simulating games and brainstorming for a European Basketball League. Every year, teams are promoted and relegated from the flight, so I present to you, EuroBasket 13!

The EuroBasket was founded in 1968 to meet the demand for a club continental league in basketball. Unlike FIFA's Champions League, which is a tournament that picks the top teams in each national league, the EuroBasket replaced national leagues and European basketball teams are all somewhere on the EuroBasket ladder. Not including the top flight, EuroBasket has 10 lower divisions. The 20 teams that makes up the EuroBasket all play twice, a home and away series, to determine the leagues champion. The EuroCup, a competition open to all teams similar to the FA Cup, acts a sort of playoff.

*all real history of basketball in Europe are non-exsistent for the purposes of creating a fantasy league.

Mediterrania

Mediterrania, named after the Mediterranean Sea, is a team based in Barcelona. Mediterrania was founded in 1968 and was one of the original top-flight teams. Long the most popular team in Barcelona, Mediterrania has been hurt by the rise of their crosstown rivals, Catalan. Mediterrania has 6 league championships, symbolized by the 3 stars above their crest. Nicknamed the Counts, Mediterania uses maroon and cream in their color scheme. Maroon pinstripes are signature to Mediterrania and they have utilized them in every uniform set throughout their history. Enjoy!

Mediterrania_zps180cc64e.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool idea for sure! I'm glad to see you back making concepts. It is interesting to see a basketball league modeled after European soccer, I have thought about doing someing similar with other sports. As for the concept, I like how the color scheme fits the team and location. As for the jerseys, they seem to me to be modeled after soccer jerseys, only on a basketball template. Is the look you were going for?

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Cool idea for sure! I'm glad to see you back making concepts. It is interesting to see a basketball league modeled after European soccer, I have thought about doing someing similar with other sports. As for the concept, I like how the color scheme fits the team and location. As for the jerseys, they seem to me to be modeled after soccer jerseys, only on a basketball template. Is the look you were going for?

Yes, I'll be using traditional soccer-style patterns on a basketball template. I won't be using sponsors at all and mostly, scripts will be on the front of the jerseys. However, I didn't go to primary and clash jerseys as I stuck with the NBA-like white home and colored away.

Catalan

Catalan, previously mentioned in the Mediterrania post, plays just outside Barcelona beneath the Pyrenee Mountains. Sky blue mountains are the main symbol of the team but red and yellow, the colors of Catalonia, are also featured, especially on the away/clash. Catalan has begun to attract more high quality players in recent years and won their first EuroBasket championship in 2011. Before that, Catalan was a team that was in and out of the EuroBasket and Division 1. The Barcelona Shootout, the derby between Catalan and Mediterrania famous for last second shots and excitement, has been one of the most watched basketball games in Europe over the past few years.

Catalun_zpsa70d051d.png

Paris

Nicknamed the City of Lights, Paris is a team that has enjoyed great success, but also attracts a ton of media attention. Hated by most most of Europe and adored by the French, basketball players on Paris are like movie stars. Although success and winning sometimes get overshadowed by player created drama, Paris has won 2 championships and have never been relegated out of EuroBasket since their 1968 formation. Paris uses black, white and pink in their color scheme. For a glamorous team, Paris wears simple and classy uniforms with a classic logo. Paris plays in a new, gigantic stadium with snazzy features like the largest video scoreboard in Europe.

Paris_zps6e30d70f.png

Guest darkpiranha

Yet another great series. Loving the hand-drawn style, too.

Only thing I'm not loving so far (and it may be more a result of the lack of detail in this hand-drawn style) is the Mediterrania logo. Took me a minute to reverse my perception, because what I was seeing was a bald guy on his hands and knees vomiting, lol. Finally I recognized Italy and figured out what I was looking at. My brain wants to see the water darker and the land lighter. I'd consider making the sea maroon and letting it bleed all the way to the edges and let the landmass be white and just let it turn into the rest of the white part of the logo, rather than having the landmass look like an odd island shape.

Looking forward to the next ones. What's your schedule going to be? Do you have the whole league ready to go and are just releasing one or two per day? Are we going to get any of the lower divisions?

Yet another great series. Loving the hand-drawn style, too.

Only thing I'm not loving so far (and it may be more a result of the lack of detail in this hand-drawn style) is the Mediterrania logo. Took me a minute to reverse my perception, because what I was seeing was a bald guy on his hands and knees vomiting, lol. Finally I recognized Italy and figured out what I was looking at. My brain wants to see the water darker and the land lighter. I'd consider making the sea maroon and letting it bleed all the way to the edges and let the landmass be white and just let it turn into the rest of the white part of the logo, rather than having the landmass look like an odd island shape.

Looking forward to the next ones. What's your schedule going to be? Do you have the whole league ready to go and are just releasing one or two per day? Are we going to get any of the lower divisions?

I just noticed the vomitting dude and now I can't unsee it.

I have about 13 teams ready to go so Imnot done but I'm close. Until I run out of teams, I will be posting one a day with updates coming on the weekends in addition. For instance this weekend, I will flip the colors on the Mediterrania logo.

I am not currently planning on doing lower divisons, but if I see a lot of comments and interests I will.

Bordeaux

Compared to their fellow Frenchmen, Bordeaux is a very modest team that spends its years going in between division 1 and EuroBasket. Bordeaux was founded in 1980, got the nickname "The Musketeers" and plays in a nice, brand new arena. In 2012, Bordeaux won the EuroCup as a team from division 1, a feat not accomplished since 1997. In addition, Bordeaux was promoted to EuroBasket. Sporting teal checkers on their home kits, the Musketeers have a distinct and recognizable brand. Bordeaux last beat their French rivals in the 2012 Euro Cup semifinals.

Bordeaux_zpsf1c3299f.png

Valencia

Spain's 3rd best team has only once been relegated to division one. That is not only a testimony to the quality of Spanish basketball, but also a testimony to Valencia. After being founded in 1976, Valencia began Tories through the divisions with a stellar youth program. While some players would leave for bigger clubs, many stayed out of loyalty towards the club. Valencia plays in an old, small gymnasium and wears red, yellow and white on their home primaries but maroon and gold on their away clashes. Valencia has never won a EuroBasket championship, but has won 2 EuroCups and 8 Spanish Cups.

Valencia_zps7454bea0.png

Only thing I'm not loving so far (and it may be more a result of the lack of detail in this hand-drawn style) is the Mediterrania logo. Took me a minute to reverse my perception, because what I was seeing was a bald guy on his hands and knees vomiting, lol.

Im seeing more of a snake vomiting with Italy as its tongue lol Like what you have going on Philsphan. Keep it up!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Milano

Milano is Italy's team. A frequent Italian Cup winner and team that wears Italy's colors, the Azzuri are adored by Italians across the country. (xcept Torino, but we'll get to that tomorrow) Milano's sucess hasn't translated as well into international competition as they have often choked in finals or decisive games. However, since their founding in 1977, Milano has won 2 EuroBasket championships. Milano plays in a high-tech arena and sports simple uniforms.

Milano_zps14fa643a.png

Torino

As much as Milano is Italy's team, Torino is not. Hated by all Italians outside of Turin, Torino has fans spread across the European continent due to their success in EuroBasket (5 championships) and the EuroCup (6 cups). Founded in 1972, Torino hasn't won an Italian Cup since 1988, (probably due to hostile environments) an embarrassing streak for one of Europe's top clubs. Torino wears orange stripes, the stripes part coming from Juventus and a plain orange and black away/clash. Torino is nicknamed the Ferraris and the company Ferrari is the namesake of their stadium, the Ferrari Dome.

Torino_zps25c24c82.png

Great to see you back at this sort of stuff. You've improved, getting away from complicated and unrealistic stripings and trims, which is excellent. And your habit of making "home" and "away" uniforms look really different from each other works a LOT better for European leagues. It's still killing me that you haven't learnt Inkscape--I know you had some technical issues at that end, but I hope one day they get resolved so we can see your work in all its glory. Aside from what folks have already mentioned, I really don't have much to say. However, "Catalan" really should be "Catalunya"--how you have it now is like naming a team from Scotland "Scottish" instead of "Scotland."

rATMcmK.png

Thanks guys! Glad your glad to see me back. Yeah, I understand a lot more about making home and aways now. For Catalan, I kind of imagined that the team was original referred to as "The Catalonians" and it just got shortened to Catalan.

And I kind of like my hand-drawn style because it is unique, (some would say refreshing) and my work is getting better.

Munchen

Munchen was founded in 1985, and they have achieved moderate success over the years. Munchen has faired especially well in the EuroCup, winning 3 cups and has won one EuroBasket championship. The Defenders, as they are nicknamed due to their proud defensive tradition, have a unique pattern of big brown stripe/small red stripe which they utilize in their away/clash and in their logo. Munchen plays in a modern arena and has some of the best fans in the EuroBasket because they are not too rowdy or crude, but certainly love and support their team.

Munchen2_zpsec950b47.png

I love the second uniform, but did you spell München wrong because it only says Muchen?

Oof...That is so embarrassing. I will update it but yeah, I thought I was being so cool by using different languages spelling. I knew I would ending up screwing something up.

EDIT: updated ^^^

Update as I promised:

Mediterrania2_zpsb4f752c0.png

Archived