New Ohio State Logo

rmackman

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That definitely looks better than the mock-ups we've seen. Interesting that they seem to be trying to use their athletic identity to brand themselves academically. To me, it screams "bush league" when a school doubles up on the same mark for academics and athletics.

Uugh I agree. I hated when UMiami decided to go this route 3-4 years ago. Definitely think it "cheapens" the University as a whole, making athletics the priority -- and reflects poorly of the institution when scandals arise.

Interestingly, I think an identity like Wisconsin's could be even better/classier if the athletic teams adopted the official Wisconsin "W" logo.

That definitely looks better than the mock-ups we've seen. Interesting that they seem to be trying to use their athletic identity to brand themselves academically. To me, it screams "bush league" when a school doubles up on the same mark for academics and athletics.

Uugh I agree. I hated when UMiami decided to go this route 3-4 years ago. Definitely think it "cheapens" the University as a whole, making athletics the priority -- and reflects poorly of the institution when scandals arise.

Interestingly, I think an identity like Wisconsin's could be even better/classier if the athletic teams adopted the official Wisconsin "W" logo.

Agreed. At least Miami's U looks like something that could've been designed as an academic mark, though. Still, I think if schools must standardize their marks, the academic identity should inform and influence the athletic identity, not the other way around.

I don't think that's that uncommon for THE to be apart of a university's name. My diploma from Ohio University says THE OHIO UNIVERSITY.

The stressing of the THE started with E Gordon Gee in the early 90's because he wanted the school to have a thing.

I would say adding "The" to "University of (name/state)" is pretty commonplace on diplomas but we're talking about the only university that actively brands itself itself with the word "Thee" when its format is in "(name/state) University"

Archived