NHL Gets Snubbed

Shmee

Jeremy roniek (<spelt that wrong i think) said it last night on teh best damn sports show period (one of my favorite shows) he said "in baseball basketball or fotoball you can just pick up a ball and go play, hockey is a much more expensive sport" peopel woudl rather buy a $6 ball than a $35 stick a $112 dollar net and $5 for a three pack of balls/pucks and for teh goalie...well im not even gonna get started in naming all those...its alot more expensive if you REALLY want to play also..thats i big part of it IMO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, JR actually said something smart. That's a change.

With that said, what he said is correct and is backed up when you look at the NHL demographics. Most hockey fans have disposable income. They can afford to pay a couple thosand to play in a league (or for their kids to play). What the NHL needs to do is promote the game in the suburbs more and get more of those kids to start playing the game and build a fanbase.

Wow, JR actually said something smart. That's a change.

With that said, what he said is correct and is backed up when you look at the NHL demographics. Most hockey fans have diposable income. They can afford to pay a couple thosand to play in a league (or for their kids to play). What the NHL needs to do is promote the game in the suburbs more and get more of those kids to start playing the game and build a fanbase.

Sorry, bud, usually on hockey matters your on the ball, but not this time.

That is the PROBLEM with the NHL right now: Most hockey fans DON'T have much disposable income. They can't afford the high priced tickets.

Hockey is VERY expensive, and I could only play in rec leagues and that becasue my family wasn't the richest on the block by any means.

That is a very big stumbling point for hockey, I agree with JR.

Franklin is starting to do that with their $7 sticks and $30 nets and so is the NHL with their annual national Street challenge held every year

I think you missed my point. If feel the nhl should forget about getting city kids to play. The game will never fully appeal to these kids because they just can't afford to play on ice. Theres nothing you can do about that. A rink is expensive to run plus ice is in high demand. Hockey isn't a sport you can play whenever you want. You have to have dedication because a lot of time practices are at 5 in the mourning.

Say what you want, but street hockey just isn't the same as ice hockey. There just something lacking in it that isn;t there when you go play pick-up football, baseball, or basketball.

edit:

I didn't disagree with what JR said, what he siad was right. I know ticket prices are too expensive and they need to come down.

yeah listen to this i went to one game in 2001 for teh bruins 2nd row seats highest priced seats (besides luxary and junk) $75 dollars in 2002 i wenrt to 14 row back seats in 2001 they were $50 in 2002 they were $85 and teh 2nd row seats were now $110 tahst a big raise.

yeah listen to this i went to one game in 2001 for teh bruins 2nd row seats highest priced seats (besides luxary and junk) $75 dollars in 2002 i wenrt to 14 row back seats in 2001 they were $50 in 2002 they were $85 and teh 2nd row seats were now $110 tahst a big raise.

You think that's bad. The Devils regular season prices for season ticket holder for the lower level is $90. Come playoff time it is over $100 dollars and for the Cup finals they are over $150. And they wonder why they don't draw.

Franklin is starting to do that with their $7 sticks and $30 nets and so is the NHL with their annual national Street challenge held every year

I think you missed my point. If feel the nhl should forget about getting city kids to play. The game will never fully appeal to these kids because they just can't afford to play on ice. Theres nothing you can do about that. A rink is expensive to run plus ice is in high demand. Hockey isn't a sport you can play whenever you want. You have to have dedication because a lot of time practices are at 5 in the mourning.

Say what you want, but street hockey just isn't the same as ice hockey. There just something lacking in it that isn;t there when you go play pick-up football, baseball, or basketball.

edit:

I didn't disagree with what JR said, what he siad was right. I know ticket prices are too expensive and they need to come down.

I just meant on the disposable income. Hockey's a blue collar sport. I know what you meant in the other post.

I just meant on the disposable income. Hockey's a blue collar sport. I know what you meant in the other post.

Ok, your right. I used the worng verbage. I think we can agree that most hockey fans are middle to upper class.

I just meant on the disposable income.  Hockey's a blue collar sport.  I know what you meant in the other post.

Ok, your right. I used the worng verbage. I think we can agree that most hockey fans are middle to upper class.

Well.....maybe where you live, I guess. You'd know better. Not here, certainly...

Actually I love playing street hockey--that's not the same as ice hockey of course--but hen we were kids we were the NHL stars anyway, and street hocley--just on your own street or down the block or at a friends only needed a stick and a tennis ball--those weren't too much as you could get a cheap stick, someone always had a tennis ball, and if no onoe had nets you just stcked something up, we played year round...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

so the Americans invented American football, and the Canadians invented Canadian footbal--and in a sense they are their countries versions of Australian rules football!

Just to clarify... rugby isn't an Australian game, I believe it was invented in England (but I really have no idea, it's just an assumption). Australian Rules Football is a completely different game (massive here in Australia but largely unknown everywhere else in the world).

so the Americans invented American football, and the Canadians invented Canadian footbal--and in a sense they are their countries versions of Australian rules football!

Just to clarify... rugby isn't an Australian game, I believe it was invented in England (but I really have no idea, it's just an assumption). Australian Rules Football is a completely different game (massive here in Australia but largely unknown everywhere else in the world).

Rugby was indeed 'invented' in England, when a pupil at Rugby school (a happy coincidence there!) called William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball, and ran with it, during a game. Actually modern day rugby probably is the most similar game to the medieval style of football, where villages would have to get the ball to a point in a neighbouring village (often a point near a pub!!)

However I think Stampman was merely saying that CFL and NFL play a similar cultural role to AFL, NOT that the games are linked or originate from each other!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Rugby was indeed 'invented' in England, when a pupil at Rugby school (a happy coincidence there!) called William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball, and ran with it, during a game. Actually modern day rugby probably is the most similar game to the medieval style of football, where villages would have to get the ball to a point in a neighbouring village (often a point near a pub!!)

However I think Stampman was merely saying that CFL and NFL play a similar cultural role to AFL, NOT that the games are linked or originate from each other!

Correct, I was saying the cultural thing--I am aware of the British origins of Rugby, and was pointing out the variations--not only do Australia, Canada,and the US have their versions, I hear the Welsh do too, but know nothing beyond that...

So Australian rules football is to Australia and to Rugby, what Canadian & American football are to their countries and to rugby...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

So Australian rules football is to Australia and to Rugby, what Canadian & American football are to their countries and to rugby...

Maybe I'm missing your point, but rugby is also wildly popular in Australia. My counselors for the past six years at summer camp have been from Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa and the biggest event of every summer for these guys was checking up on the Tri-Nation Tournament, a 3-team Rugby contest between their respective countries.

That's a bit different from North American football's relationship to rugby on this continent, where the sport is only really popular among college students.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Well Whetehr or not rugby is popular there--and I know it is--I used to work with a guy form New Zealand who is a big rugby fan and he would talk about rugby in New Zealand and in Australia, and the rivalry, etc...

But he understood the comparison to Aussie Rules football (or footy, as he called it), so if a New Zealander, recognizing they are NOT Australian(he hates getting called Australian), can see the comparison, and grant it's validity--I think that legitimaizes it--he was the first one I actually tried the comparison out on...

I hear ya, Stamp. All I have to say now is...

"When I say Aussie, you say Oi!...Aussie!"

"Oi!"

"Aussie!"

"Oi!"

"Aussie Aussie Aussie!"

"Oi Oi Oi!"

That will never grow old in my book.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I hear ya, Stamp. All I have to say now is...

"When I say Aussie, you say Oi!...Aussie!"

"Oi!"

"Aussie!"

"Oi!"

"Aussie Aussie Aussie!"

"Oi Oi Oi!"

That will never grow old in my book.

It already has for my former co-worker!

Archived