2017 World Baseball Classic (USA is WBC Champion, 2021 Bracket on bottom of Page 9)

RoughRiders99

X3VtR0e.jpg

1) Australia

Australia is a veteran World Baseball Classic participant, having been involved in all three versions so far. They also have several players that are currently playing in the big leagues, such as Grant Balfour, Liam Hendriks and Luke Hughes. Their best finish in the WBC was 12th place in 2009. Their overall record in the WBC is 1-8. However, they failed to qualify for the WBC in 2017, so they’ll host Qualifier 4 in hopes of getting back there. Their uniforms set haven’t changed much, except for the wordmark, which is more modern and sleek, keeping up with the times.

1mH0gdK.jpg

2) New Zealand

After some research on the country, I discovered that they’re one of the few countries that actually doesn’t use their flag colors for their sporting apparel. The majority of their sports teams tend to wear all black. Most of their nicknames have the word “black” in it. So I decided to go extremely simple with them and use only black and white. I really like this. I know it may seem a tad boring, but I think it works for the country. The fern is a country symbol that’s already in use for several of their sports teams. Scott Richmond was the first New Zealand citizen to reach the major leagues, in 2008. They did well in the Qualifying Rounds in the 2013 WBC, but lost in the finals to Chinese Taipei.

FQ3c37N.jpg

3) South Africa

When they first participated in the 2006 WBC, it surprised everybody, as they have never sent a player to the Major Leagues. The highest a South African player has ever gotten in the minor leagues has been Triple-A, Mark Miller, in the Cincinnati Reds’ organization in the late 2000’s.* Ever since, the country has participated in all three WBCs, but in 2013, eventual WBC participant, Spain, eliminated them in the Qualifying Rounds. For this set, yes, I’d admit that their uniforms are quite similar to Australia, but I decided to mix it up a little bit and gave them a “flag stripe” on the sleeves and green shoes as well. Also, instead of a yellow panel on the batting practice jersey, they have the flag sewn in.

* - According to Wikipedia

8Edfpyh.jpg

4) Pakistan

For the first time ever, Pakistan will be sending a team to the Qualifying Rounds. They won their Sub-Qualifier. They beat Indonesia in their first game, then lost to Sri Lanka, but reached the finals by heating host Thailand in the third game. They got their revenge by beating Sri Lanka in the final game. The team was led by New York Met farm-hand shortstop Umar Zubair, the first ever Pakistani to reach the Major leagues.* They will be placed in a tough pool with Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

* - Fictional

8tsQnkd.jpg

goOQU1b.jpg

Author’s Note: Didn’t realized how GREEN this pool was! Haha. Anyway, up next would be the actual World Baseball Classic pools! Yes, that includes the USA, Japan, and all those big-name countries! Not sure when those will come up, but it might be a few days. Just stay patient, and enjoy the series!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun side note, the New Zealand nation baseball team is sometimes called the Diamond Blacks.

I really like these. I ike the fern on the chest of NZ. The Aussies are nice. SA is good, although it's an interesting move to put both green/yellow teams in the same qualifier. No comment for Pakistan, since we've seen them before.

And regarding what you said about flag colors, Italy and Australia also.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Well done. Now, correct me if I'm wrong , but i dont think south korea was in the wbc this year.

No, they were. They actually beat Chinese Taipei and finished 2 and 1, but Chinese Taipei and the Netherlands beat them out for the top 2 spots in the 1st round.

Can't wait to see what you do with the bigger-named countries. You were using a simulator, right? That means that Sweden has the same chance to win this tourney as the States and Japan?

Well, that depends. I downloaded a roster from Operation Sports for me to use in MLB The Show. A guy created several countries, but not ALL of them. I think he made only 20 or so. For example, Team USA is the Braves, Canada is the Reds, China is the Twins, etc. So as for the “non-normal” countries, such as Sweden, will be assigned some random team with a bunch of nobodies, so they have a lesser chances to beat the better countries, because, you know, the odds ARE against them. But these rosters are a bit unique though. They have the best possible players on each teams, like Stephen Strasburg and David Price on USA, Yu Darvish for Japan, and so on forth.

Well done. Now, correct me if I'm wrong , but i dont think south korea was in the wbc this year.

No, they were. They actually beat Chinese Taipei and finished 2 and 1, but Chinese Taipei and the Netherlands beat them out for the top 2 spots in the 1st round.

Yup, they were in the tournament. South Korea got knocked out by the “Team Quality Balance” formula. This is the formula: (TQB=(runs scored (RS)/innings batted (IPO))–(runs against (RA)/innings pitched (IPD)))

This thread has reignited my interest in the WBC. I don't agree with how you have the 2017 tournament structured or which teams will be playing, but the your uniform designs and presentations are great. Can't wait to see the rest of this project.

How would you structure the tournament and who would be playing whom? I’m not questioning your or anything. I’m just curious about your insight! Because I might as well say this, but I’m starting to think about 2021 already! Haha. Not saying who/where/what will be involved in it. The only thing that I’ve though about 2021 is that I want a round (Subs, Qualifiers or Round 1, haven’t decided) to be played in Hawaii. Yes, you heard me. Hawaii!

By the way, thanks everybody for the feedbacks! As for some of the bigger-name countries, some of them may look similar to what they fielded in previous WBCs, some of them may be different. Who knows? We'll see when I get there! :-)

Okay, first let me expand on my comment of “not agreeing” with your tournament structure. I really like your concept of the 2017 WBC, but I don’t think it will grow by so much. At a glance it didn’t look realistic, but after a closer look I have changed my mind. There are only a few details that I would change:

1. The Bahamas are not likely to be invited; I would consider Chile or Honduras for their spot. A real shame, because you created such a great uniform for them.

2. Venezuela or any of the other MLB-centric teams will stay in the western hemisphere; knowing how possessive MLB team front offices are, I just don’t see your Pool C happening. It would be simple enough to just swap Venezuela and China, but the later probably won’t play in Taiwan. So, China may probably be sent to South Korea, Venezuela goes to Pool B and the Netherlands goes to Pool C.

3. Your hosts are very realistic, but I feel that the Dominican Republic will finally get to host a WBC round and the WBC Steering Committee may oblige the Champion Nation’s wish. I also think that the WBCSC will avoid U.S. hosts in favor of growing the game in emerging nations. The Czech Republic and Sweden hosted rounds in the 2009 Baseball World Cup and I believe the former will be co-hosting the European Championship with Germany next year.

4. Ireland appeared to be misplaced to me; they are a minnow in the European circuit. Then I remember folks saying the same about Israel, and then I remembered how lax the WBC player eligibility rules are and Ireland as well as Greece could transform into juggernauts in their respective sub-qualifiers. With passport players Ireland will be formidable, without them; replace them with the Ukraine.

Here are my picks for your sub-qualifiers:

A: Nicaragua by a few miles, Argentina by a half mile in second, Ecuador by a nose in third & Bahamas

B: Ireland with a passport heavy roster wins, Sweden, France & Belgium

C: Greece with a passport heavy roster wins, Czech Republic, Russia & Croatia

D: Indonesia edges Pakistan to advance, Sri Lanka places third guided by a Japanese manager to soundly defeat the hosts.

Overall, excellent work

By the way, sorry for discussing baseball in a graphic design thread. So here goes, I would consider adding a gold (New Orleans Saints gold) brim to Pakistan’s hat to match their national cricket team.

I uploaded in the The Show Roster Vault a WBC 2013 roster with 30 teams. It has all the teams that played the WBC, the ones that played in the qualifiers plus Greece and Argentina. All teams have accurate rosters based on the WBC while Greece and Argentina are based on their last international tournaments they played.

It's under my username if you want to use it to sim this.

I'm still fixing minor things, so I might upload a small update every 2 or 3 days.

omPKiUS.jpg

Canada

Canada, a team that could be full of MLB Superstars with the likes of Joey Votto, Ryan Dempster and Justin Morneau, has never advanced past the first round of the World Baseball Classic. They had to qualify for the 2013 Classic. Their overall record in the entire World Baseball Classic history is just 3-5. Their highest finish was just ninth place in the first annual Classic, in 2006. They’ll host the first round in Rogers Centre, home of the Blue Jays, in the largest city of the country, Toronto.

Canada was a fun team to work with for me. Sometimes I like how countries would use a third color that isn’t really in their description, and Canada is one of those countries; with black.

ypANFV0.jpg

Dominican Republic

The defending World Baseball Classic champion had a change to host a round, but there weren’t any suitable facilities that would fit MLB’s interests, so it’ll be in Canada. They went undefeated in the previous incarnation, beating Puerto Rico in the finals. Their overall WBC record is at outstanding 14-4. They made it to the Semi-Finals in 2006, but ended up finishing fourth, losing to an island rival, Cuba. Their only hiccup came in 2009, when the underdog Netherlands upset them. But with their powerhouse players, they will look to make another championship run.

There isn’t much change to their set. I did make the blue and the red a little bit darker in order to match their flag better. I also added the seal from their flag to the chest.

BOK8gTU.jpg

Italy

In the 2013 Classic, Italy surprised some people, being a heavy underdog, they won their Pool in the first round, beating Canada and Mexico. However, they couldn’t make any noise in the second round as they lost to the two eventual finalists, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. They ended up finishing seventh overall, finishing in the top half of the 16-team field. In 2009 and 2006, they finished 10th. But for 2017, they might have a better chance with their experiences and will be led by the Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo and the Twins’ Chris Colabello.

I know they essentially look like the Dodgers’ clone, but I really, really liked how they look in the last WBC, so I went with they had.

W5uZjNl.jpg

Israel

In Qualifier 1, Israel won in the first round, defeating the Philippines, 5-3. Then Israel beat Ecuador in the final play-in game to advance to the final game of the double elimination bracket. Israel controlled Brazil, the only team in the qualifier to have previously contest the WBC, winning the game 8-3, to clinch a berth in the 2017 Classic. The team was led by a pitching rotation of Trevor Rosenthal, Scott Feldman and Andrew Werner. Ethan Berger* saved all three games for Israel and posted 0.00 ERA.

Don’t really need to say much about this set, as you’ve already seen this before.

* - Fictional

CQv8Hbw.jpg

qadjxwS.jpg

Archived