JMurr

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Checkers, Challengers, and Standards all sound like 19th century names, but Monsters sounds like something from the mid-late 20th century. I suppose it's not that far off from Giants, which was conceived in the 1800s, but hopefully there's some team history that can explain how they got such an unusual (for the time, anyway) name.

Also, I think the Milwaukee Auditorium would make for a more appropriate curling venue than Borchert Field.

EDIT: I now see the Auditorium isn't quite as old as I thought (1909)... carry on. :D

Checkers, Challengers, and Standards all sound like 19th century names, but Monsters sounds like something from the mid-late 20th century. I suppose it's not that far off from Giants, which was conceived in the 1800s, but hopefully there's some team history that can explain how they got such an unusual (for the time, anyway) name.

Also, I think the Milwaukee Auditorium would make for a more appropriate curling venue than Borchert Field.

EDIT: I now see the Auditorium isn't quite as old as I thought (1909)... carry on. :D

Glade you brought this up. Yes there are back stories for every one of the teams I will be doing. They all can be read as they stand right now on an old thread I started called “Pocketball”. This was my original intention for these teams were to use them in a league for a made up sport. However for various reasons I switched to this “Pro Curling” project. Do note however that if you read the stories on “Pocketball” some adjustments will be made to accommodate the change in sports. For instance it has been pointed out to me that the official sport of Saskatchewan is curling so it would make a lot of sense for a team to exist there.

In the meantime let’s address your question regarding the Milwaukee Monsters. The owner of the team is William Cameron Coup. Coup, who made his home in Wisconsin, was a circus and side show promoter. He is largely credited with the creation of the three ring circus. He was also a business partner of P.T. Barnum.

When Coup creates the Milwaukee franchise he draws upon his side show business as inspiration for the team name. One of Coups shows was called The New United Monsters Show. This is where the name Monsters comes from. I do see it as never being a popular name, so without giving too much away the names time in use is very short lived.

Thanks for following.

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

And the race is heating up, with a huge upset of the number 1 seed losing to the bottom feeders.

Again, the answer to this question might just be because this is long ago, but... Why are there ties. I f there is a tie, they play the 11th end, just as if they were keeping going. Hammer is normal, but it's just like a sudden death; first point wins.

Up until recently leagues like the NHL allowed ties to stand following games. Even today the NFL has recently allowed ties to stand. Of course these were cases in which the tie was allowed to stand following extra time that still did not result in a clear winner, but none the less allowing ties to stand is not unheard of in pro sports. I like the idea of ties myself, I think it adds an interesting twist to team’s records. A half game hear or there might be the difference between getting into the post season or not. So for now I am going to allow ties at the end of 10 Ends to stand. The only exception to this rule is this, in the post season there must be a resolute winner, so games will play on into extra Ends until a winner is decided.

Week6-MilwaukeeMonstersClevelandStandard

Week6-PittsburghChallengersBostonChecker

1894 - Week 6 Standings (Final)

Pittsburgh Challengers 4&2

Milwaukee Monsters 4&2

Boston Checkers 2&3&1

Cleveland Standards 1&4&1

So the two teams that will be playing in the Title Match are Milwaukee Monsters v. Pittsburgh Challengers

Archived