What's in a name? Hull City AFC to become 'Hull Tigers'

Jaffa

Free publicity for a relatively-unknown club that nobody would be talking about otherwise. I'd say the owner is doing his job well.

I wouldn't call them a 'relatively-unknown' club by any means.

Granted, we might not be as well known internationally as the likes of Manchester Hunter but most football fans will be well aware of us.

In any case, the publicity this debacle is attracting is anything but positive towards the Allams or the club.

I am opposed to the bludgeoning of history in changing the history behind a classic name, I can understand the idea that the owner could find appeal in the " North American" style name. A team called the Tigers from Hull could be referred to as the Hull TIgers. I cannot understand how anyone would think this would become the standard in English Football. What about teams who are not location based? It would be Ludicrous for Chelsea to be known officially as the "Chelsea Blues". Or the Tottenham Hotspurs. By Francis' logic, we could have the "Fulham Chelsea Blues" or the "London Crystal Palaces". Ludicrous stuff to say the least.

a_mcnabb_i.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time for a quick update...

Good luck. How organized are your supporters?

It turns out we're actually rather organised!

An action group has been formed, 18,000 leaflets have been handed out before matches and thousands of badges have been given away. The campaign has attracted a fair amount of attention from the media both home and abroad, and pleasingly a lot of opposition supporters are backing us too.

Anyway, it looks to have got a bit of a result. Owner Assem Allam has offered to meet with the action group's committee to discuss matters, this meeting is taking place later today. Personally, I'm doubtful he'll have changed his mind so easily but fingers crossed everything goes well and he can be persuaded that keeping the club's proper name is the correct choice.

Time for a quick update...

Good luck. How organized are your supporters?

It turns out we're actually rather organised!

An action group has been formed, 18,000 leaflets have been handed out before matches and thousands of badges have been given away. The campaign has attracted a fair amount of attention from the media both home and abroad, and pleasingly a lot of opposition supporters are backing us too.

Anyway, it looks to have got a bit of a result. Owner Assem Allam has offered to meet with the action group's committee to discuss matters, this meeting is taking place later today. Personally, I'm doubtful he'll have changed his mind so easily but fingers crossed everything goes well and he can be persuaded that keeping the club's proper name is the correct choice.

I think maybe he's realised how hair brained a scheme this was/is or at least that he needs to be seen to be consulting. Of course when the consultation says 'this is wrong' he may need to think again. Overall I'd be relatively optimistic that the team might still be called Hull City next season.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think at the very worst, this 'stunt' has got the club a little bit of publicity. Which is what Assem Allam was after (albeit in a different way).

Football clubs should be willing to compromise on certain things related to their traditions. For example Spurs having red (the main colour of their rival) in their sponsor logos. I hate it but if it brings some more funding to the club then it can be put up with to a certain extent.

I think changing the entire name of a football club is too far though. He would be wise to listen to this action group and quit while he is (almost) ahead. There are better ways of growing your club's brand than by removing a key part of its history. Even Mike Ashley renaming St. James Park the "Sports Direct Arena" was a much better move than this one would be.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I think at the very worst, this 'stunt' has got the club a little bit of publicity. Which is what Assem Allam was after (albeit in a different way).

Football clubs should be willing to compromise on certain things related to their traditions. For example Spurs having red (the main colour of their rival) in their sponsor logos. I hate it but if it brings some more funding to the club then it can be put up with to a certain extent.

I think changing the entire name of a football club is too far though. He would be wise to listen to this action group and quit while he is (almost) ahead. There are better ways of growing your club's brand than by removing a key part of its history. Even Mike Ashley renaming St. James Park the "Sports Direct Arena" was a much better move than this one would be.

I think Spurs fans were being a bit precious over the whole red in the sponsors logo thing. It's such a small thing really, plenty of clubs have rival clubs colours in their kits (Portsmouth wear red socks, Birmingham and Villa both have blue in their kits, albeit different shades, Man City often have red in their away kit etc etc). It hardly changes the identity of the club.

The issue is that the identity of the club is being squandered at the behest of an owner with apparently no feeling for the club's history. That's the issue here. And it's increasingly an issue in the English game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived