Hull City Tigers redesign

joob

I've made my thoughts known elsewhere on the 'rebrand' and new name being foisted upon us, so I'll leave those to one side here and just focus on this design in isolation of that.

First, the tiger - it might sound daft but there are no stripes on it! I know you've gone for a silhouette look, but to me it's more black panther than tiger at present. I think the front leg also needs looking at, way it's bending looks rather unnatural at the moment.

The coronets - I think their shape could be improved on, they look a little too angular at the moment which for me jars with the smoother shape of the tiger. It's also very unusual to see the coronets used unstacked (as they appear on the coat of arms), but it's not totally without precedent.

You need to consider as well that if you're designing for this rebrand the plan (if you can call it that) is for us to be simply 'Hull Tigers' outside of the UK (and they'll likely be wanting to drop 'City' here too as soon as they can) so you'd likely just end up with just 'HT' on the crest if you're sticking with the initials alone.

Thanks for the feedback Jaffa!

For the coronets, I wanted to use the same ones that were used in the original crest. But I see what you mean, straight-edge vs curved-edge contrast doesnt make sense. When I get the time I will try and redesign it :)

Hull_old_badge.png

I rearranged the coronets in a stack and ditched the text for an updated version

SnIYnvo.png

I gave the kits a shot.

I like the home kit a lot so I didn't want to change much.

As for the away kit, I did an inverse of the home kit minus the stripes.

AKA3gPe.png

Good design so far. A few things I think might help though:

• The whole panther/tiger thing is a big issue for me. Stripes are needed when it is a tiger.
  • An image of a Football or "FC" or "Football Club". Right now it could be a logo for anything. (eg a chess club)

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Yep, I really think the tiger needs stripes - stripes are a huge part of the club's identity for one thing, and at the moment it's looking a bit generic big cat rather than magnificent tiger.

Thanks for the feedback Jaffa!

For the coronets, I wanted to use the same ones that were used in the original crest. But I see what you mean, straight-edge vs curved-edge contrast doesnt make sense. When I get the time I will try and redesign it :)

Hull_old_badge.png

Ah, the Hinchcliffe crest. Given the distaste for it amongst supporters it's probably no bad thing you've gone for a different style of coronet on your amended design. I much prefer them, although now there are four of them on the crest now whereas Hull's coat of arms only features three?

• An image of a Football or "FC" or "Football Club". Right now it could be a logo for anything. (eg a chess club)

I agree, although given that a big part of this whole kerfuffle revolves around the owner's dislike for the term 'AFC' (it's 'redundant' and 'lousy', by all accounts) the football is probably the path to take rather than the initials. Perhaps something to replace the fourth coronet at the bottom with?

On the kits, they're very similar colourwise - you'd certainly need a third kit in order to satisfy the League.

Archived