Dallas Buckaroos: NHL Expansion Team from the 1980s

thebigeh

Back in the Eighties, when the idea of National Hockey League expansion from 21 teams was bantered about, I drew up a logo and uniform concept of a team called the Dallas Buckaroos, because the Texas city was considered a prime location at the time. It was based along the lines of the the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, whom they'd be sharing Reunion Arena with. It was to look conservative yet different. Kind of like Texas.

Now since then, the Minnesota North Stars relocated to Dallas in 1993 and became the Dallas Stars and have been there for 20 years, winning a Stanley Cup along the way. But I thought I'd show everybody what might have been if the Dallas Buckaroos had become a reality in the Eighties.

Logo:

DallasBuckaroosLogo1.png

Home Uniforms:

DallasBuckaroosHomeUniform.png

Road Uniforms:

DallasBuckaroosRoadUniform1.png

C&C.

Needs Cooperalls. Also looks too Whalers. Try RWB with a blue base.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I always liked Renegades as a Mavericks co-tenant, myself, but Buckaroos is pretty good too! I especially like the idea of an expansion team in Dallas rather than the dear old North Stars.

I like the logo. It looks kind of like a country club logo. Bookman Swash is kind of the Red Wings' thing, which I think you'd find out if you took the concept further and made a wordmark, but it still works as just a B. I'm just not sure, like Nashy said, about doing green and royal blue when the Whalers were already doing it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To those who wondered why I didn't incorporate blue into the uniforn design, I thought it would look too much like Hartford's color concept when I made the original design in the mid eighties. Also, the green, silver, and white combo would make the silver stand out more - I came up with it before the LA Kings changed to silver and black, the first NHL team to add silver to their identity. And by doing so, the blue would help to make the logo stand out as the centerpiece of the uniforms.

To those who wondered why I didn't incorporate blue into the uniforn design, I thought it would look too much like Hartford's color concept when I made the original design in the mid eighties. Also, the green, silver, and white combo would make the silver stand out more - I came up with it before the LA Kings changed to silver and black, the first NHL team to add silver to their identity. And by doing so, the blue would help to make the logo stand out as the centerpiece of the uniforms.

Okay, that makes sense to me now.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

For the road unis, I think the main logo could change to white just like you did with the shoulder patches.

Funny, when I recreated this on my computer, I wasn't sure if the logo on the road uniform had a white map of Texas or a green one with a white outline (they were drawn and colored on paper at the time and I don't have them with me) I did them the way you suggested and then remembered I did them with the green map and white outline. I change them before I submitted them.

But for you, I'll give you the ones with the white map of Texas, as I was about to do:

DallasBuckaroosRoadUniform2.png

always thought Dallas Stars should become Dallas Lone Stars

kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-93334.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived