Photography Logo - Any suggestions?

elsephen

Now here's the thing, while you showed three images of Safari animals in logos, and they all look good, two of them have logical ties to the animal. Zimplats is an African company, and African Pride, well do we need to say more? There's a perfect use of a cliche image that works. Why Ken Luallen was using what looks like an impala, it might go back to his roots and he might have bloodlines from Africa that he's proud of. The funny thing, is he's actually changed his logo, so obviously the animal head wasn't working. You can make the elephants work, but you shouldn't have to sell it. If you have to sell it, then it needs work. Here's what you can try, focus on the heads and the trunks making the heart and you might have that out of the box design that works and no one questions it. If you use just the head and trunks, then the focus is on the heart, and I think that's a winner right there. To me, the trunks and the heart are the stronger emotional part of the image and what you should focus on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using elephants, but maybe a slogan as part of the logo would help if everyone is giving you second thoughts. Something like "Never forget your most precious memories." I don't think "elephants never forget" is the first thing people think of when they see an elephant logo, but probably 95% of the people know the saying; maybe a slogan gets everyone on the same page.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using elephants, but maybe a slogan as part of the logo would help if everyone is giving you second thoughts. Something like "Never forget your most precious memories." I don't think "elephants never forget" is the first thing people think of when they see an elephant logo, but probably 95% of the people know the saying; maybe a slogan gets everyone on the same page.

Actually, when I see an elephant, I think of Dumbo, "You can fly!" *shrug*

Actually, when I see an elephant, I think of Dumbo, "You can fly!" *shrug*

I guess there are worse things lol?

To the OP, I had an idea regarding the way someone said the elephants should be different sizes/different in some way. It'd be pretty cool if a smaller elephant had to stand on its hind legs to get its trunk to reach the other elephant to make the heart? I really like the idea, but I feel like by the time the sizes worked, it'd be more like parent-child instead of husband-wife. Maybe do that for your wholly-owned subsidiary baby photography business?

@ elsephen, you made some great counterpoints. But I will point out that some very serious marketing horsepower has put the Geico and Starbucks logos on the map.

For having been overdone, the stereotypical logo for any business has the advantage of telling the customer immediately what the business is. That was my point really - until and unless someone sees the word photography in your logo they will not know what line of work you're in. The other posters who suggested tying in some of your logic with an appropriate tagline make good sense.

I hope it's clear I meant no disrespect and wish you the best whatever you decide about the logo. You asked for feedback and I answered candidly based on my first impression of the logo. After reading your rebuttal, I thought, "This person has thought this through and makes a good case." But keep in mind that customers won't know your reasoning. The logo has to convey it and that's why a tagline would be a great addition.

Last thing, don't know if this was one of your changes but in the original version the elephants seem to be floating in the air. Maybe bring them down to look like they're standing on the "top" of the next element?

As an aside, I went to Ken Luallen's site to see his new logo. That guy has a great eye and does terrific work.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The sad thing is I think a beautifully concise and perfectly matching tagline at the bottom would have been "Never Forget". It matches the elephant logo and the photography business wonderfully and it communicates everything that needs to be said without a wasted syllable. But obviously...

i think the biggest problem is just a complete lack of unity

you have 3 completely seperate elements and none of them really fit together. In all there is no visual continuity, you have these two elephants floating above a word mark that i think looks more at home on cafe or bakery. not to mention the love heart you squeezed in the negative space

simplify the whole thing, try using only the elephants and maybe some simple type. maybe consider changing the stance of the elephants aswell, im not sure what it is but it looks off..

The sad thing is I think a beautifully concise and perfectly matching tagline at the bottom would have been "Never Forget". It matches the elephant logo and the photography business wonderfully and it communicates everything that needs to be said without a wasted syllable. But obviously...

and this ^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Now here's the thing, while you showed three images of Safari animals in logos, and they all look good, two of them have logical ties to the animal. Zimplats is an African company, and African Pride, well do we need to say more? There's a perfect use of a cliche image that works. Why Ken Luallen was using what looks like an impala, it might go back to his roots and he might have bloodlines from Africa that he's proud of. The funny thing, is he's actually changed his logo, so obviously the animal head wasn't working. You can make the elephants work, but you shouldn't have to sell it. If you have to sell it, then it needs work. Here's what you can try, focus on the heads and the trunks making the heart and you might have that out of the box design that works and no one questions it. If you use just the head and trunks, then the focus is on the heart, and I think that's a winner right there. To me, the trunks and the heart are the stronger emotional part of the image and what you should focus on.

Those "connections" are pretty vague and required you putting 2 and 2 together.

:) Much like this one does.

I originally planned to do just the heads, but once I began working on it, I just didn't like how it was working out.

It's really doesn't have to shout "PHOTOGRAPHY!" or "Here's why I'm using Elephants!"...

I get it- we're taught that, and in many cases- it's very relevant.

@ elsephen, you made some great counterpoints. But I will point out that some very serious marketing horsepower has put the Geico and Starbucks logos on the map.

For having been overdone, the stereotypical logo for any business has the advantage of telling the customer immediately what the business is. That was my point really - until and unless someone sees the word photography in your logo they will not know what line of work you're in. The other posters who suggested tying in some of your logic with an appropriate tagline make good sense.

I hope it's clear I meant no disrespect and wish you the best whatever you decide about the logo. You asked for feedback and I answered candidly based on my first impression of the logo. After reading your rebuttal, I thought, "This person has thought this through and makes a good case." But keep in mind that customers won't know your reasoning. The logo has to convey it and that's why a tagline would be a great addition.

Last thing, don't know if this was one of your changes but in the original version the elephants seem to be floating in the air. Maybe bring them down to look like they're standing on the "top" of the next element?

As an aside, I went to Ken Luallen's site to see his new logo. That guy has a great eye and does terrific work.

I covered this earlier. I get where you guys are going with "Consumers are stupid- you have to spell out for them that they're looking at a photography logo".

But in this case, I don't.

With photography- no one books you by seeing your logo first. Plus, again, without making it extremely cheesy with a lens, shutter, etc... that's a hard concept to cover anyway. So instead, I made the logo based on the name. Which becomes a brand whole. If that makes sense.

As in- Ken Luallen's new logo... it's the generic initials logo. What about it says photography?

:) Nothing.

In all honesty, a photography company doesn't need a logo (outside of watermark).

i think the biggest problem is just a complete lack of unity

you have 3 completely seperate elements and none of them really fit together. In all there is no visual continuity, you have these two elephants floating above a word mark that i think looks more at home on cafe or bakery. not to mention the love heart you squeezed in the negative space

simplify the whole thing, try using only the elephants and maybe some simple type. maybe consider changing the stance of the elephants aswell, im not sure what it is but it looks off..

and this ^^^^

Can kind of feel you on this. Other than the "Never Forget" 9/11 slogan which would just cheapen the look.

The heart isn't squeezed in. It's subtle. Subtle is ok.

I may try simplifying it a bit and seeing what happens.

Archived