Is the NHL expanding?

Beluga4

The Bettman Plan: When Gary Bettman was hired, he outlined a plan to make the league a lot more profitable. The necessitating and corresponding successes of Gretzky in Los Angeles and the weakening Canadian dollar caused a lot of expansion and relocation to the Southern United States.

Since then, the Canadian dollar has regained lost value and we have seen Northern Expansion (MIN & CBJ) and relocation (ATL to WPG).

If an expansion city has a high potential for future growth, it became a good idea to place a team there (Phoenix, Atlanta, Miami, etc.), but the Islanders move to Brooklyn has suggested that a "proven and reliable hockey fan base" may be a factor just as important as a city's growth prospects. Atlanta is the definition of this problem that exists for the NHL (a major urban hub and two failed hockey franchises).

"Northern" expansion: If "Southern" expansion was a reaction to the falling value of the Canadian dollar in the nineties, "Northern" expansion (and relocation) is a reaction to unproven hockey markets.

***Would the NHL take a pro team away from a Southern tropolopolis to rebuild with proven hockey hotbeds only for Atlanta to be persuaded into getting a team again?

I've heard that the KHL wants to expand to 64 teams by the next decade. Wikipedia. Right now, there are 28 teams scattered from Prague to just north of the North Korean border (Vladivostok, to fly from Prague to Vladivostok is to fly from Kansas City to Buenos Aires). Most of the arenas probably hold less than 10,000, but that hasn't stopped the KHL from expansion plans...

Would you rather have a 24-team (16-team, 6-team...) NHL, based in the hottest of hockey hotbeds or a 64-team (125-team...) NHL/AHL league that can provide all hockey towns with a team?

Would you rather your city have an NHL team or not have to watch a watered-down NHL on TV?

I think I vote for the 64-team league...

Archived