Gimp vs. Inkscape: Which should I get?

LAWeaver

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right now, I'm debating whether or not I should get either Inkscape or Gimp to make my concepts. I have been using Word Art from Microsoft Office and recoloring logos from the Mothership, but as I have progressed in my current series, it seems as if less and less people are giving me feedback on my concepts, mainly because I use logos from other teams and not my own. So I have decided I should get either of these two programs (they're free, so they're my best option; currently have a Photoshop trial but its like a monkey doing a math problem). Anyone who has used one or the other, or even both, have any advice on which I should use? I really appreciate any feedback on this!

EDIT: Also, what is up with the orange links to random stuff? Anyone else getting these? Its from a site called Tidy Network. It looks like a google ads thing

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

From my experience, GIMP is an easy all-in-one photo manip program that is good in just about everything. There are tons of a templates out there that are compatible with GIMP (.psd templates work just fin). Think of it as a stripped down Photoshop. However, Inkscape is more focused. Think a stripped down version of illustrator. It's good with vector shapes, creating and designing logos (if you know what you're doing) and is a good alternative to work with .ai files (Illustrator) which many of the high-end templates are in.

It depends on what you're looking for in a program. If you're looking for the well rounded program, go with GIMP. If you're specifically interested in working with vectors for your concepts, go Inkscape.

OttawaSenators.png

Considering they're both free, there's no reason why you should choose one over the other. Get both and you'll be covered.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Here's where I'm at: I tried to download GIMP, but it froze my computer and it didn't finish downloading. All it put on was adware, which is now gone. I will try and do inkscape tomorrow.

Here's a bonus question- is there a way for either of these programs to trace a logo I have hand drawn?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived