NCL (National Chess League)

FunnyHeadlines

So I decided that I wanted to start a fantasy league. As I was thinking about what sport to do, I thought about chess. Sure, it's not a sport, but it is a competition between two sides that could produce some awesome logos because of the pieces used. So I came up with a format for a team game. Basically there are four players on each team, labeled 1st board, 2nd board, 3rd board, and 4th board. They are arranged by skill, the best at 1st board. There are also two alternates, in case someone gets ill and cannot make it to a match. During a match, there are four "games". The two 1st boards play each other, the two 2nd boards play each other, etc. A win in a game counts for 1 point, a loss counts for 0, and a draw counts for 0.5. Each team will name a captain (not necessarily 1st board) that, along with the team's coach, players can ask questions as long as the answer does not provide advice on the game or does not provide an advantage over the opponent. Each players can offer a draw twice a game and may resign at any point. As for rules for the games, touch move is in effect (for more on what that is, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch-move_rule), as well as en passant (for more on what that is, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant). Each game will also be game in 120, except for the title match, in which it is game in 150. Draws are allowed, unless it is the title game. In the title game, if the match ends in a draw, a game between the 1st alternates is played. If that ends in a draw, then the two 2nd alternates play. If there still is no winner, then the coaches will play a game. If they, too, draw, then the team that, in regulation (meaning just the games between the boards), has more capture points wins. Capture points are calculated by added the points given to a particular piece that has been captured up. A queen is worth 9 points, a rook is worth 5 points, the bishops and knights are both worth 3 points, and pawns are worth 1 point. If still no team has won, the team with the most combined time left on their clocks at the end of the regulatory games wins. If there is still no winner, the two first boards play again. If still no winner exists, then the two 2nd boards play. This continues until the 2nd alternates are reach and then it repeats until there is a winner. If there are any more questions about how it works, feel free to ask.

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I can dig this. As long as you don't call all the teams, the Kings, the Rooks, the Bishops etc. Co-ed or just men? How would you be sure who's the best, 2nd, 3rd and 4th on each team. Take for example the Tigers are playing the Lions. Say the Lions have the best player in the entire league, has never lost a match, just phenomenal. The rest of the lions, we'll say, are average, with 1 that's a bit better than the other 2. Now, couldn't the Lions just say their real worst player, is their best, and just basically throwing the game against the unbeatable lion? That way, the tigers can save their best 3 players, 1 being their best player, to play the 3 worst Lions, and win 3-1. I could see teams playing around the rules here.

Also, instead of all these tiebreakers, why not just have 5 boards?

Lastly, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with the asking questions to the coach. If he's not helping you at all, what would you be asking? "D'ya end up seeing that movie the other day?" Not quite sure what you were talking about there. Anyways, I applaud you for trying something different, of course we've seen a curling thread, JMurr's NAVO thread, a water polo league, so I like this trend, in trying something a bit different.

Bring on the concepts and Good Luck!

Yeah, I can dig this. As long as you don't call all the teams, the Kings, the Rooks, the Bishops etc. Co-ed or just men? How would you be sure who's the best, 2nd, 3rd and 4th on each team. Take for example the Tigers are playing the Lions. Say the Lions have the best player in the entire league, has never lost a match, just phenomenal. The rest of the lions, we'll say, are average, with 1 that's a bit better than the other 2. Now, couldn't the Lions just say their real worst player, is their best, and just basically throwing the game against the unbeatable lion? That way, the tigers can save their best 3 players, 1 being their best player, to play the 3 worst Lions, and win 3-1. I could see teams playing around the rules here.

Also, instead of all these tiebreakers, why not just have 5 boards?

Lastly, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about with the asking questions to the coach. If he's not helping you at all, what would you be asking? "D'ya end up seeing that movie the other day?" Not quite sure what you were talking about there. Anyways, I applaud you for trying something different, of course we've seen a curling thread, JMurr's NAVO thread, a water polo league, so I like this trend, in trying something a bit different.

Bring on the concepts and Good Luck!

I. Co-ed or men?

Since chess is really old, I'm starting the league in the 1870s. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that it is initially only men. ;)

II. How would you be sure who's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on each team?

I probably should have explained this, but in the world of chess there is something called a rating that each player gets from the WCF (World Chess Federation). But my idea was that the coach would decide arbitrarily.

III. Now, couldn't the Lions just say their real worst player, is their best, and just basically throwing the game against the unbeatable lion?

Yes, this is called sandbagging, and it is done by high school teams throughout the US.

IV. Also, instead of all these tiebreakers, why not just have 5 boards?

Say the Tigers win boards 1 and 2 and the Lions win board 3 and 4, and the match ends up depending on the 5th board. The Tigers' 5th board accidentally stalemates his opponent and the game is a draw. Now both teams have 2.5 points and it's still a draw. Any number of boards there can still be a draw.

V. If he's not helping you at all, what would you be asking?

I didn't say he couldn't help, I just said he couldn't give an advantage over the other team. Say the 3rd board is the only game left going on. The Tigers won boards 1 and 2 and lost board 4. However, board 3 does not know that because another rule is that it must be quiet in the playing room. So he signals for his coach to come over for a quiet conversation. A director (basically a ref) comes and monitors the conversation. During the conversation, the coach just tells board 3 that all he needs is a draw for the Tigers to win, making the score 2.5 to 1.5. Hearing this, the director approves the conversation. It's logistics things. It may also be a question about the rules.

YAY, CHESS!!! And, anyway, to me, chess is a sport. I'll be following this.

True, ESPN has showcased chess before :D

October 3, 1876, a 54-year-old man from Charleston, WV, Michael Jacobson, a successful business man who owns a bank in New York, NY, announces the founding of the NCL, or National Chess League, a game he has been fond of since he was 3.

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

October 23, 1876, Michael Jacobson announces first of initial four teams will be in New York, NY, where he resides.

October 27, 1876, Jacobson announces that the second team will be located in Philadelphia, PA and owned by his childhood friend from Charleston, 55-year-old Ronald Mistry, who is now a lawyer in Philadelphia.

December 11, 1876, Jacobson announces that the New York team will be called the New York Kings. Since it is the league's first team, he names it after the game's premier piece. It is also named after the district on Long Island.

December 16, 1876, Mistry announces that the Philadelphia team will be called the Philadelphia Liberty, after the city's nickname, "The Cradle of Liberty".

December 21, 1876, Jacobson announces that the fourth and final team in the NCL (for now) will be located in Toronto, ON. It will be owned by a business partner of Jacobson’s, Alexander Tanner, a 52-year-old from Chattanooga, TN who owns a bank in Toronto.

January 20, 1877, Jacobson releases the rough draft of the Kings’ primary logo.

1877KingsPrimaryRoughDraft_zps95b1ad8e.j

(I know it's extremely simple and took no effort, but logos from this time period were extremely simple and I'm trying to keep it that way)

Also on this day, Tanner announces that the Toronto team will be called the Toronto Whales, an allusion to the Princess of Wales Theatre.

Well, maybe a bit less curvy and more defined? Looks a tiny bit like a blob now.

Which one?

January 21, 1877, Jacobson announces that the Kings’ home matches will be played in Central Park if the weather permits. If it is too cold (judged by the director) or there is precipitation then they will be played in Carnegie Hall.

January 22, 1877, The board of directors is founded, with Jacobson being Chief Director.

Archived