The Kansas City... Mohawks?

nash61

Came across this on HF Boards... thoughts?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1207325

0717101551-00.jpg

Before the Kansas City Scouts were known by that name, they were the Kansas City Mohawks. Kansas City straddles the Missouri/Kansas border, and seemingly anything that takes place with the city has to involve both...there's a cultural split between the two. "Mohawks" is a nod to that. "Jayhawk" is used to refer to the University of Kansas athletic teams; the term comes from "Jayhawker", which goes back to the Civil War era. Basically, a Jayhawker was part of the anti-slavery faction...I won't get into the whole history, but Kansas was a flash point for the slavery debates all during the 1850s. "Mohawks" for an NHL team was a combination of both the Kansas and Missouri sides..."MO" is Missouri's postal mailing code, and "Hawk" is short for "Jayhawk".

The Mohawks had a logo, wordmark, and letterhead all drawn up and ready to go. With about two weeks to go until the official unveiling of everything, the Chicago Black Hawks ownership (Bill Wirtz) got wind that the Mohawks logo was going to be a side-facing Indian head. He went to the NHL and objected that there was only going to be one side-facing Indian logo in the league, and it wasn't going to be some snot-nosed expansion team.

Abruptly forced to change everything, the Mohawks became known as the Scouts. The logo was changed to the familiar one, a new wordmark and letterhead were drawn up, and so on. The controversy was forgotten shortly afterward. I didn't even know about this story until a few years ago. What I also didn't know is that there were two prototype jerseys that were made up for the official press conference; I'd never seen either.

In 2010, I had the opportunity to view both of them, which reside in the personal collection of a jersey collector and historian. I remember snapping pictures of the white (the other one, which was either blue or red, wasn't available), but I had no idea where the picture was. I've had to do a system restore on my computer twice in the last two years, and figured it lost forever. Fast forward to today, when I was moving some files around. Lo and behold, I found one picture of the white jersey.

So, for what may be the first time for a wide viewing audience to see....feast your eyes upon the jersey that never was, the white home jersey of the Kansas City Mohawks.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

That's pretty embarrassing that Wirtz had to point out the obvious resemblance to them right before the unveiling. OITGDNHL!

In the NHL-WHA war, the identities didn't matter, just the markets.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived