2014 NCAA Division I Mens Soccer

VictoriaGooner

The biggest climb of the week was by Providence (11 previous week 23) after picking up fours points against Marquette and Seton Hall in Big East play.

I attended the Providence College - DePaul University match this past Wednesday night. I accompanied my nephew and brother-in-law, as the former is on PC's soccer recruitment radar and seriously considering attending the school. It was an entertaining match, with the Friars besting the Blue Demons 2-1 to clinch a spot in the Big East men's soccer tournament. If the Friars manage to advance to the Big East tourney final four, I may head back to meet my nephew and brother-in-law for the semi-finals and championship at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania. Fingers crossed that the Friars make some noise in the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament, as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest climb of the week was by Providence (11 previous week 23) after picking up fours points against Marquette and Seton Hall in Big East play.

I attended the Providence College - DePaul University match this past Wednesday night. I accompanied my nephew and brother-in-law, as the former is on PC's soccer recruitment radar and seriously considering attending the school. It was an entertaining match, with the Friars besting the Blue Demons 2-1 to clinch a spot in the Big East men's soccer tournament. If the Friars manage to advance to the Big East tourney final four, I may head back to meet my nephew and brother-in-law for the semi-finals and championship at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania. Fingers crossed that the Friars make some noise in the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament, as well.

Providence has been progressively improving over the last three years. Their recruiting within the Northeast has been extensive from what I have been reading up on them. It is good to see the Friars clinching that Big East tournament berth. But even if they don't win the Big East title, I still believe that Providence will enter the NCAA tournament through an at-large bid. That is good to see your nephew is looking at considering in attending Providence. Nowadays, like college football and basketball, soccer recruitment from the high school ranks is pretty competitive with only the best of the best make it to the first teams. I am hoping that your nephew charms and impresses the coaching staff enough to get a chance in the Big East. Love to know if he makes it or not.

Do you normally watch college soccer or just went the once due to your nephew and brother-in-law? Cheers

Week 10 of the Top 25 was released today:

1. Syracuse

2. Indiana

3. Washington

4. Notre Dame

5. UNC Charlotte

Syracuse's deep roster plus strong finishing throughout the season so far has garnered them their first #1 spot on the Top 25 in 2014. As for the big climbers and big crashers over the last week:

Big crashers - New Mexico falling 10 spots (25 this week) after losing to both @ UAB 3-2 last Wednesday and home v Marshall 2-1 this past Saturday. In the Marshall match, the Lobos out shot their opponents Thundering Herd 31-7 and corners advantage 15-0 but lost to a goal in the final 10 minutes.

Big climbers - Maryland going to 17 this week (haven't been ranked in the Top 25 since Week 2. The Terps won both home fixtures this past week 5-2 v Hartwick and 1-0 against Big Ten rivals Ohio State, extending their win streak to 7 matches. The momentum is gaining for Maryland and at a good time with their final fixture of the season is coming against Rutgers midweek before the Big Ten soccer tournament this weekend.

Do you normally watch college soccer or just went the once due to your nephew and brother-in-law?

I'm a soccer enthusiast who follows the sport on multiple levels, including attending college matches. As I split my time between the east and west coasts, the collegiate contests I get to see are totally at the whim of the vagaries of my travel itinerary and schools' schedules. When I'm on the east coast, I'm most likely to attend a Boston College, Brown University, Providence College, or Salve Regina University game. On the west coast, I'm either watching Loyola Marymount University or UCLA. Every once in awhile, based upon where my travels take me and the amount of free time I have, I might be able to sneak in a match elsewhere.

Do you normally watch college soccer or just went the once due to your nephew and brother-in-law?

I'm a soccer enthusiast who follows the sport on multiple levels, including attending college matches. As I split my time between the east and west coasts, the collegiate contests I get to see are totally at the whim of the vagaries of my travel itinerary and schools' schedules. When I'm on the east coast, I'm most likely to attend a Boston College, Brown University, Providence College, or Salve Regina University game. On the west coast, I'm either watching Loyola Marymount University or UCLA. Every once in awhile, based upon where my travels take me and the amount of free time I have, I might be able to sneak in a match elsewhere.

I too am a massive soccer supporter,following all levels of the beautiful game including NCAA. I mainly support University of Washington but I also support Seattle University as they are both close to me here in Victoria for to travel across the border to see live matches. I wish I could get down to see more matches, hopefully UW or Seattle will host a NCAA tournament fixture this year...I will probably head down.

Archived