MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

Concluding the NL today with the Giants. 

The Giants have one of the best looks overall but fall at times due to sheer clutter. There's no reason for them to have the same stripes of two different widths for home and away. There's no reason for the gold trim, no reason for the two different grey jerseys, and no reason for a black alternate. This is a team in need of simplification. 

So that's what I've done. I've kept the home uniform mostly as is. I ditched the gold trim, added a new and less cluttered number font, and created a new sleeve patch out an old championship logo. For the roads, I've cut down to just the SF logo since "SAN FRANCISCO" is painfully long. I've also matched the striping with the home uniform since I've always preferred the pre-2012 version of the striping. I kept the orange alt but simplified the stripes. 

Enjoy!

Alternate.png

Away.png

Home.png

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants turned out great.  I love that new sleeve patch. I agree that "San Francisco" is too long to look good on a jersey, though I do like the script version that they've never worn on a jersey. Having said that, the simple "SF" logo is much more effective.

Looking forward to the AL East!

Good Morning! Fourth of July was super busy so I did not get a chance to post. 

Kicking off the AL East is the Orioles. I really like what the Orioles have now so really it was just a matter of tweaking a couple of things. '60s script. '70s stirrups. '80s cap. Current stripes and sleeve patch. Ditch an unnecessary black jersey/cap. This might have required some of the least thought of any concept I've done.

C&C as always!

Cheers!

Home.png

Away.png

Alt.png

Extra post today because of the 4th of July holiday. 

The Red Sox present one or two questions. I love the old Ted Williams era uniforms with the double soutache and blue undersleeves but I also love the current look with its simple lines and emphasis on red as a way of distinguishing themselves from the Yankees. So I ended up leaving the home uniform the same aside from using the classic stirrups (which they never should have abandoned in the first place) because ultimately its what they've had success with. I brought back the Splendid Splinter uniform as a throwback/Sunday alt complete with all red cap logo. I also kept the red jersey because I honestly might be the only person on the planet that likes it. 

When it came to the road uniform I made what is probably going to be an unpopular decision. I really loved the all navy roads they wore from 2008-2013 with the plain grey pants. I know I'm in the minority but I think that was one of the best designs in baseball and its a shame they got rid of it just because fans thought it resembled the Yankees too much. I think the better way to differentiate themselves from New York is to bring back the 70's red cap for the roads. I've seen them go with the Fisk-era set for a few games and while nothing can top the classic look, those were early double knit era masterpieces. So I've used the red cap for the roads along with the navy script and I think its a winner. Feel free to disagree but I think its perfect. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home.png

Sunday - Yanks.png

Alternate.png

Away.png

Double-whammy today! That Sox road set is the best of both worlds. I, too, was a big fan of the all-navy road uni, so I really like that you worked it into this set. As we speak I'm actually working on a Red Sox concept that utilizes a red top.

I'm expecting big changes for the Bronx Bombers. ;)

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

Just a thought...What if you made either the home or home alternate have "BOSTON" on the front as they did with their Boston Marathon tribute uniforms?

I thought about it but the "BOSTON" design seems much more like a special event and not a regular thing. I figured the home needed to say "Red Sox" and I didn't want to duplicate what the Cardinals do with their fauxback. It seemed appropriate to me to just leave the "BOSTON" design as an unofficial, one day treat. 

Archived