MLS 2018 - NYCFC (8/23)

hendocfc

Here we go again... same story as my 2017 version; changing only the kits due to change; except this time I'm simply going with which kits did not change in 2017 instead of concrete information.

Let me just say that I'm largely going to be using similar templates to my 2017 thread - so I'll be alternating between shoulder and side stripes at will.

The teams are going to appear in random order,so let's start with the first design I finished... Seattle Sounders.

WWwI9Bi.png

Rave green shirt,blue shorts,green socks. The tapering,shale to royal blue gradient stripe on the front is an abstract - VERY abstract - reference to the Puget Sound,from which the team takes its name.  The Seattle flag logo returns from 2016 to take its place in the jocktag,together with the "SOUNDERS F.C." in the back neck.

Up next - DC United

Since nobody's posting anything... I'm moving on to the second one straight away. 

DC United it is - classic look,all black with red details and white bands on the neckline-cuffs. Thought of this as a "natural progression" from their last two home shirts,both of which have been equally simplistic. The jocktag is the flag of DC and the back neck features the "District of Columbia" sign off off the new '17 secondary kit.

JsYWClS.png

Up next - San Jose Earthquakes

I like the idea for Seattle, but the gradient is too strong and it looks really busy. Maybe just make it a solid blue. And for DC it needs something else. Just white cuffs and red adidas stripes isn't really a design, it may as well be a black T-shirt with a DC United crest slapped on it. Add something that makes the kit unique to the club or the city, and you could have a decent design going for you. Keep up the work though, and don't be discouraged by lack of comments. Just keep doing your thing

soflo copy.png

I'm not really bothered by the lack of comments,I just don't want to have to spam the thread! Lol anyway,for Seattle you might be on to something... I'll try see if I can tweak it a bit after I finish the series. Same for DC,I originally tried several sublimation options but felt nothing really worked,if I manage to think of anything more interesting I'll apply it to the kit. The Quakes are coming later today... expect red. Lots of.

San Jose Earthquakes... as I said,expect lots or red.

FH1RUfe.png

This is basically in the same vein as the new primary; an enlarged version of the crest graphic printed on the front. This time I've put it at the top of the shirt instead of the bottom and coloured the whole shirt in the red/white they've used for their change tops ever since the rebrand,even though this is a brighter red than the one they use.

Next: FC Dallas

Hmm, not sure about that Quakes kit. I think some more white accents could do wonders, but I think the biggest issue is the execution of the pattern. It ends very abruptly, and the sponsor logo's legibility is sacrificed by the high contrast of the red base and white pattern.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Yeah I might add some white since I'll also do a round of tweaks/updates this time,although much later. Do you think it'd work better if I flipped the colours on the adidas trim/pattern and made the sponsor white? Will try to think of something but I'll leave it until the updates.

So let's continue with The (Not So) Great Southern Redmen. (or Hoopmen?). FC Dallas it is... the shirt features a front graphic combining the tonal hoops they've been using for the past five-ish years with a Sampdoria-inspired horizontal graphic using elements from the Texas flag. The jocktag features the "DTID" line from the new secondaries and the back neck sign off features the "LH" graphic as a tribute to ex-club owner Lamar Hunt - the same they've put in the sleeves this time round.

Kh7l4Uz.png

Up next tomorrow - Toronto FC

I'll try that in the updates round for sure... 

I introduce you to... my Toronto FC 2018 secondary kit non-proposal.

DqOA97i.png

The premise for this kit was to use the two shades of onix in a fashionable,"trendy" way; more of an Adidas kit than a Toronto kit,given Toronto don't really have a distinguished kit history anyways. In order to achieve this goal,I lifted off the Olympique Lyon 2014 away shirt design - faithful to adidas' recent design recycling habit - with the diagonal colourblocks,and gave it a henley/grandad collar. Maple leaf jocktag,"All for One" back neck graphic. Nothing more to say...

Next team - New York (or perhaps New Jersey?) Energy Drinks. I don't hate them,it's a teaser.

I could really get behind this. If you're purposely using a darker shade of red though, I'd like to see the crest and MLS logo recoloured to match. I much prefer when TFC use either of their greys as a base for their clash, and this is a nice new take on it.

Anyway... here's another team; the Red Bulls.

bIDSnrB.png

Their usual navy/yellow combination,however with a bit of a twist. While surfing the footy shirt web lately I came across this Lotto design  from 2006. I immediately started thinking that if I streamlined and simplified it it could work as a Red Bulls change kit design,having more than a passing resemblance to the energy drink can's design. So here we go... I know some people suggested removing the "New York Red Bulls" wordmark on the back,but they use it so I am as well. The jocktag features a ribbon in Metrostars' colours with "est. 1996" on it; a callback to the history this club tends to forget.

Up next: Minnesota United

Thank you!

Announcement time: After I finish all the teams... the series will not end.There will be a pause until mid-summer,when the 2018 templates are going to be revealed/leaked,according to usual schedule. After that,I will tweak all designs to suit the confirmed 2018 adidas designs,and possibly tweak details like the SJ pattern etc.

So let's go to Minnesota United,and a new secondary... A pretty simple design,it features twin stripes in the left side behind the badge alluding to the famous "Twin Cities" moniker. Jocktag features the "L' Etoile Du Nord" banner from the Minnesota seal... that's about it.

HbnLw7r.png

Going to treat you with two teams this morning! Yes,you read that correctly,NYCFC secondary is also here! Orange,with navy sleeves and 5 shiny stripes in the front panel in reference to the 5 NY boroughs,silver jocktag monogram,and the back neck features a "This City Never Sleeps" sign off.

rcg5qeO.png

Up next: New England Revolution.

Lots to catch up on here! My favorites from this recent batch would have to be Toronto, I'm such a sucker for that gray combination they've got and your design executes that well. Also love that your MNUFC take is a little different than the usual, very classy. And NYCFC is a pretty interesting variation, too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived