Hartford Football concept

cyandlux

Now, first off, my gf is very perceptive and tends to be right, all the time. She thinks the Robins face should be darker, while I like the white face. This is a tribute to Connecticuts state bird the American Robin, which is grey, black and red/orange....which Ive made into a gold hue.

robins5.jpg

The font is a tweak of some font I tweaked. :blink: I left out the Hartford for now since the font is somewhat original.

C&C

i agree with our friend with the Mr. Hankey avatar. The wordmark seems better suited for some kind of futuristic robotic theme than "Robins." I can almost see metal rivets in the leters. Something looks off in the bird too. There is a lot of unused space in it, and the lines that are there seem a little forced. Also, I think the eye looks odd. I'm not sure I can offer too many tips to improve it, but I think you should revisit that part of it. The little spikey thing that points up in the eye (I forget what that was called) just doesn't look right.

Also, I'd try to find a way to incorporate a ball and glove somewhere in the design :P

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I prefer the darker bird and the lighter letters. The gray and black letters do look like some kind of industrial metalworking company, but I don't get that vibe at all from the white letters with gray highlights. Those letters look almost avian to me, which I suppose is your intention.

Have you tried making the bird's eye a baseball?

20082614447.png

Actually I would probably prefer to see the bird be dark, not just gray. In other words, youtake the logo with the white head and basically make a negative image of it. Gray and yellow stay the same; white goes black, and black goes white. Do the same with the wordmark, and turn the chamfered corners to rounded ones.

LT

IMO this is a much better color scheme, although I think it could still pop even more with a white secondary outline inside the gray, or possibly just replacing all the gray with white. I can't explain why, perhaps its just that good artwork often has well defined dark, middle, and light tones. BTW, I also noticed the overall design is simplified, which I think is great.

LT

Though at the risk of looking like the Orioles, I'd suggest droppin the yellow in favour of orange......or red, given the "red breasted robin" moniker the bird sometimes carries.

As well, I like the font as a font, but it doesn't fit for robins, as has been touched on. Perhaps a more classic cursive style would work. I don't know, though....I suck at wordmarks.

Now, of the birds on your previous watermarked post, I'd go with the top one. Looking good so far, and I'd like to see where this goes.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

That first one in that set with the two-tone eye really pops. I like it a lot. The fourth one is nice as well, but prefer the first.

And yeah what the others said about the wordmark... it doesn't look like it suits a small bird.

liverpool-1.png

Im afraid of red because I dont want it to look too much like the Az Cardnals. I have been working with orange, but it doesnt seem to fit well against the other colors. I think the wordmark was too blocky, and I was thinking of something in the area of the Dolphin cursive or something just not so weighted.

very nice job on this concept...i like them all, but the gold probably looks the best, followed by the orange. that red is a bit too dark for this particular concept.

imho, the white one that you started with is better than all of the other versions. it really just shines.

either way, i can't wait to see the wordmark!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived