METRO FOOTY or AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL

Alphabet Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How the hell does Nova Scotia not count?

PS How far did the Oil get in the playoffs?

habs will suck for eternity

p.s. nocanad-med.gif

*Professor voice* That's quite a thesis, sir. Please PM me if you choose to discuss it further.

ANYWAY, back on topic.

Does the AFL have the same problem as major North American sports of one team buying most of the good players?

And PS, that is post 1500.

'Football' is used in Ireland to describe what you guys call 'soccer'. In france they either use 'balle de Foot' or 'football' depending on how nationalistic they are, in Spanish 'Futbol' and in Portugese 'futebol', in German 'fussball' only the Italians use there own word 'Calcio' which dates back to a similar game to the original football. 'Soccer' is hardly usded except for the USA, canada, and the Antipodes, (OZ and NZ)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

'Football' is used in Ireland to describe what you guys call 'soccer'.

Really? Maybe you have more insight on what the Irish use. But I have seen a few Irish news websites and they have "Soccer" sections. Is it only used to differentiate "soccer" and Gaelic football?

On the subject of Gaelic games, why goes the GAA not allow soccer or rugby matches at Croke Park?

Does the AFL have the same problem as major North American sports of one team buying most of the good players?
Perhaps an Aussie can help you on that . I think the AFL has a salary cap, but a couple of teams (Brisbane and Sydney) have a higher cap and some teams have a lower cap.

I saw, I came, I left.

no where a bit diferent....the only way you can play is to be drafted ie no signing players during season....you can switch teams by being traded or put into the pre-season draft

there are 3 drafts...the national draft for the kids from juniors and a pre season for recycled players from other AFL clubs and a rookie draft wgich is for clubs that can afford them (kangaroos can't afford them) a rookie can only play seniors if they are promoted...

the draft order is the previous seasons ladder reversed so 16th gets pick 1 however if a team wins less then 5 and half games they can get an extra prioriety pick before pick 1 (unless u r carlton)

Go Saints ( we just beat richmond)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

'Football' is used in Ireland to describe what you guys call 'soccer'.

Really? Maybe you have more insight on what the Irish use. But I have seen a few Irish news websites and they have "Soccer" sections. Is it only used to differentiate "soccer" and Gaelic football?

Essentially yes. 'Soccer' is run in Ireland by the Football Association of Ireland. Soccer has enough of a hold in Ireland to use the Football name, but galeic football probably uses just football from time to time!

As fior the grounds, well for big games Lansdowne Road is big enough for both soccer and rugby, I don't know the relative capacities of Lansdowne road vs Croke Park, but I assume they are similar. So I don't know how true it is to say that the GAA doesn't allow soccer or rugby at Croke Park, more that there is no need!

I'd have thought that if there is a salary cap that allows certain teams more space, it is a revenue share system- so that clubs who get higher attendances get a bigger cap limit. I know they have tried that out in British Rugby League and may well have copied the idea from Australia.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The AFL does have a salary cap (5.3mil per team per year from memory), but some of the non-Victorian teams get a 15% allowance on top of that for a couple of reasons. First (in the case of Sydney), because the cost of living is far higher than Melbourne. The second reason is because the whole competition is rigged to be a "level playing field", which is why the top team gets the last draft pick, etc. I believe the only two clubs to benefit from this are Sydney anf Brisbane.

Anyway, it seemed to do the opposite because Brisbane has won the premiership 3 times in a row without having to lose any players due to salary cap constraints. Essendon, for example, had to get rid of 3 of their best players in favour of draft picks because they couldn't fit under the cap... but Brisbane got to keep their champions because they could afford them.

Some teams also voluntarily run their salary cap at a lower rate to cut costs. Richmond is running at 97% of the cap I believe, and I'm sure the Kangaroos are even lower. They can't afford as many star players, but they stay alive financially.

So essentially we do have some clubs being able to afford better players than others, but its partly the other clubs' own choice.

Oh, and by the way... starting next year, Brisbane will no longer receive any concessions, so that should level the ol' playing field a bit more.

Archived