METRO FOOTY or AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL

Alphabet Man

snivelling assistant- look master quick, that discrimihater has a new 'friend'

saintsfan- well yes, and judging by his knowledge of sports related websites he is a dam site more useful than mine!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you've got to bounce it every 10 or 12 metres (about there) and the umps i know but now they ar wearing all colours of the rainbow which i don't like ( i actually liked the all white combination that lasted 150 years nearly)

Footy you have to kick the ball or handpass it to a teaammate or opposition(in extreme cases that they can't get rid of it) you have to tackle a player down for a ball up.

come to Melbourne and i'll show ya how to play our great game

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The rules are pretty simple. I've had a kick, though we weren't using a full field, nor were we really tackling hard or anything. I even kicked two goals!

In authentic Aussie Rules (eg, the AFL), each team plays with eighteen players on the field, and four more on the interchange bench. Players can sub in and out at any time.

There are four posts at each end of the oval-shaped ground. Kicking the ball between the middle posts is a goal, worth six points. If the ball hits one of the posts, goes between the outer posts, or is kicked through by a defender, it's called a "behind," and is worth one point. Scores look like this:

Brisbane 10.12 72 d. Sydney 11.2 68

Yes, you can lose to a team even if you kick more goals than they do.

The name of the game is ball movement. If you are tackled, you have to make an attempt to move the ball--otherwise, the opposing team gets a free kick. Moving the ball is done in one of three ways:

- Kicking: You can kick the ball to a teammate. If they catch it on the fly, they can take what's called a "mark"--a free attempt to kick the ball from that spot. The opposing team can also take a mark from your kick if they catch it on the fly.

- Hand passing: You can't throw the ball, you have to hand pass it. The ball is held in one hand, not tossed up (this isn't volleyball), and punched with the other hand as a fist.

- Running: You can also run with the ball, but I believe the ball has to touch the ground every 15 meters or so.

If the ball goes out of bounds, it is thrown back in by the official. If the ball is kicked out on the fly ("on the full"), the other team will get a free kick.

Pretty basic, really.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

One last question. What's Gaelic football? I've heard about it on here but I have no idea what it is. I used to live near chicago and I never really heard about it but I guess its big up there.

Gaelic Football can be described as a mixture of soccer and rugby, although it predates both of those games. It is a field game which has developed as a distinct game similar to the progression of Australian Rules. Indeed it is thought that Australian Rules evolved from Gaelic Football through the many thousands who were either deported or emigrated to Australia from the middle of the nineteenth century. Gaelic Football is played on a pitch approximately 137m long and 82m wide. The goalposts are the same shape as on a rugby pitch, with the crossbar lower than a rugby one and slightly higher than a soccer one.

The ball used in Gaelic Football is round, slightly smaller than a soccer ball. It can be carried in the hand for a distance of four steps and can be kicked or "hand-passed", a striking motion with the hand or fist. After every four steps the ball must be either bounced or "solo-ed", an action of dropping the ball onto the foot and kicking it back into the hand. You may not bounce the ball twice in a row. To score, you put the ball over the crossbar by foot or hand / fist for one point or under the crossbar and into the net by foot or the hand / fist in certain circumstances for a goal, the latter being the equivalent of three points.

Each team consists of fifteen players, lining out as follows: One goalkeeper, three full-backs, three half-backs, two midfielders, three half-forwards and three full-forwards.

Players wear a jersey with their team colours and number on the back. Both teams must have different colour jerseys. The goalkeepers' jerseys must not be similar to the jersey of any other player. Referees normally tog out in black jerseys, socks and togs.

Goalkeepers may not be physically challenged whilst inside their own small parallelogram, but players may harass them into playing a bad pass, or block an attempted pass.

Teams are allowed a maximum of five substitutes in a game. Players may switch positions on the field of play as much as they wish but this is usually on the instructions of team officials.

Officials for a game comprise of a referee, two linesmen (to indicate when the ball leaves the field of play at the side and to mark '45'' free kicks and 4 umpires (to signal scores, assist the referee in controlling the games, and to assist linesmen in positioning '45' frees).

A goal is signalled by raising a green flag, placed to the left of the goal. A point is signalled by raising a white flag, placed to the right of goal. A '45'/'65' is signalled by the umpire raising his/her outside arm. A 'square ball', when a player scores having arrived in the 'square' prior to receiving the ball, is signalled by pointing at the small parallelogram.

Gaelic Athletic Association

North American Gaelic Athletic Association

CGP.gif

Now that we've got Gaelic football out of the way, how does Hurling work (as in the sport)

I've pasted the Gaelic Athletic Association description below. My description is that it is Lacrosse with no remorse.

There's a link below to metro areas that have football / hurling clubs.

Club Link

Hurling is a game similar to hockey, in that it is played with a small ball and a curved wooden stick. It is Europe's oldest field game. When the Celts came to Ireland as the last ice age was receding, they brought with them a unique culture, their own language, music, script and unique pastimes. One of these pastimes was a game now called hurling. It features in Irish folklore to illustrate the deeds of heroic mystical figures and it is chronicled as a distinct Irish pastime for at least 2,000 years.

The stick, or "hurley" (called camán in Irish) is curved outwards at the end, to provide the striking surface. The ball or "sliothar" is similar in size to a hockey ball but has raised ridges.

Hurling is played on a pitch approximately 137m long and 82m wide. The goalposts are the same shape as on a rugby pitch, with the crossbar lower than a rugby one and slightly higher than a soccer one.

You may strike the ball on the ground, or in the air. Unlike hockey, you may pick up the ball with your hurley and carry it for not more than four steps in the hand. After those steps you may bounce the ball on the hurley and back to the hand, but you are forbidden to catch the ball more than twice. To get around this, one of the skills is running with the ball balanced on the hurley To score, you put the ball over the crossbar with the hurley or under the crossbar and into the net by the hurley for a goal, the latter being the equivalent of three points.

Each team consists of fifteen players, lining out as follows: 1 goalkeeper, three full-backs, three half-backs, two midfielders, three half-forwards and three full-forwards. The actual line out on the playing field is as follows:

Goalkeeper

Right corner-back Full-back Left corner-back

Right half-back Centre half-back Left half-back

Midfielder Midfielder

Right half-forward Centre half-forward Left half-forward

Right corner-forward Full-forward Left corner-forward

Players wear a jersey with their team colours and number on the back. Both teams must have different colour jerseys. The goalkeepers' jerseys must not be similar to the jersey of any other player. Referees normally tog out in black jerseys, socks and togs.

Goalkeepers may not be physically challenged whilst inside their own small parallelogram, but players may harass them into playing a bad pass, or block an attempted pass.

Teams are allowed a maximum of three substitutes in a game. Players may switch positions on the field of play as much as they wish but this is usually on the instructions of team officials.

Officials for a game comprise of a referee, two linesmen (to indicate when the ball leaves the field of play at the side and to mark '65'' free kicks and 4 umpires (to signal scores, assist the referee in controlling the games, and to assist linesmen in positioning ''65' frees).

A goal is signalled by raising a green flag, placed to the left of the goal. A point is signalled by raising a white flag, placed to the right of goal. A '45'/'65' is signalled by the umpire raising his/her outside arm. A 'square ball', when a player scores having arrived in the 'square' prior to receiving the ball, is signalled by pointing at the small parallelogram.

CGP.gif

Why is the word for soccer very similiar to 'football' in other languages, rather than using that language's words for 'foot and 'ball''?

Example: In Spanish, it's futbol, but the word for foot is not fut, it's pie.

That will have something to do with slang I'd have thought. Thats ahat they heard the game was called when they first picked it up, so they tramslated the sounds, rather than the words in to Spanish/portugese. (Although I believ in Portugese 'Futebol' is not pronounced 'football', rather 'fuchabol'.

I can tell you were the word 'soccer' comes from though. It is a shortening of the word 'association'. (officially soccer is association football, as its rules were drawn up bythe Football Association.)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

hurling: :puke:

just a joke :D

:lol: I was going to do that. But that would have been obvious.

Oh! I tried to explain to my dad where the word soccer comes from. He didn't believe me. I've known that for a while. I even asked a TV station where the word came from.

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh good....the US are getting to know all about real Football or footy or Australian Football or Australian Rules Football or Aussie Rules or Ausball

the only real football is nfl and cfl

No! The only real football is soccer. :D I love Aussie Rules, but soccer is call "football" in most of the world.

football(soccer)is only used by british people

EDM_1489.gif

Oh good....the US are getting to know all about real Football or footy or Australian Football or Australian Rules Football or Aussie Rules or Ausball

No! The only real football is soccer. :D I love Aussie Rules, but soccer is call "football" in most of the world.

No, football is used in French also, and is the literal translation for the many languages in the world's game. Soccer is only really used in Canada, Australia/New Zealand, and the good ol' US of A.

No, football is used in French also, and is the literal translation for the many languages in the world's game. Soccer is only really used in Canada, Australia/New Zealand, and the good ol' US of A.

close enough but in the good ole us of a look at this:

maisoc.jpg

EDM_1489.gif

Don't forget Ireland

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived