Boozer going to Utah

the_cynic

I know I mentioned this in the "The Utah Jazz GM suffers from Dementia!" thread but it looks like Carlos Boozer is leaving Cleveland for Utah for 68 million over the next 6 years!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Here's a follow up link.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Wow, this must be the hour of stupidity, because that's 3 things that have caused me to cuss out loud...

Utah is gonna be dead broke in a few years, because they're just throwing money away... The G.M. must be named Mr. DuMass

I dont know I think Utah is gonna be pretty good for the next couple years with a front court of Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, and Mehmet Okur. You all might say Okur hasn't done anything productive yet but he has shown a great upside last year and the season before. Last year proved AK47 is the best all-around defensive player in the league and that Boozer is a double-double power forward for years to come. If Harpring can stay healthy and contribute they might get up to a 6 seed for the playoffs.

The other controversy (besides the questionable sum of money offered by the Jazz) is over a reported handshake deal Boozer had with the Cavs where they'd make him an unrestricted free agent and he'd sign a generous contract with them. The Cavs went through on their end, and Boozer found more money elsewhere.

It was naive of the Cavs to expect him not to try to see what he could get on the open market, but a deal's a deal and Booze backed out. Any other thoughts?

Yeah I read that Boozer had a verbal agreement with the Cav's front office that if he became an unrestricted free agent that they could get him for the mid-level exception so it doesnt count against the cap. But this is Carlos Boozer we're talking about, this is probably the 2nd best player on your roster. He's going into his 3rd year in the NBA and he already has averaged a double double. 15.5 and 11.4 a game isn't a mid-level exception player, especially for a sophomore. When you get production like that you sign them to big contracts. I think it was ignorant on the part of Clevelands front office to do this, but Boozer was misleading with his agreement, so I dont really know who to blame in this case.

Earth to the Jazz front office:

Contrary to your warped beliefs, Carlos Boozer is not the second coming of Karl Malone.

Wish to inform us of any costworthy moves before you makes fools of yourselves publicly (again)?

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Utah is gonna be dead broke in a few years, because they're just throwing money away... The G.M. must be named Mr. DuMass

Wow, that's for offering your opinion Mr. Basketball. How do you explain the rest of the world praising Kevin O'Connor and his efforts? Boozer is a big time player and 11.3 million is a bargain to get an up and comer for 6 years!

I dont know I think Utah is gonna be pretty good for the next couple years with a front court of Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, and Mehmet Okur.  You all might say Okur hasn't done anything productive yet but he has shown a great upside last year and the season before.  Last year proved AK47 is the best all-around defensive player in the league and that Boozer is a double-double power forward for years to come.  If Harpring can stay healthy and contribute they might get up to a 6 seed for the playoffs.

Amen! Finally, somebody with some actual intelligence! :notworthy:

but Boozer was misleading with his agreement, so I dont really know who to blame in this case.

I don't know if Boozer was misleading, the negotiations started on Monday.

Retired Number's To Come

Earth to the Jazz front office:

Contrary to your warped beliefs, Carlos Boozer is not the second coming of Karl Malone.

Wish to inform us of any costworthy moves before you makes fools of yourselves publicly (again)?

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It means that the Jazz have been throwing a lot of money at some very untested free agents. If they all really pan out, it could be big... but if the opposite happens, they're saddled with a lot of cap-choking salary to pay.

Wow, that's for offering your opinion Mr. Basketball. How do you explain the rest of the world praising Kevin O'Connor and his efforts? Boozer is a big time player and 11.3 million is a bargain to get an up and comer for 6 years!

Boozer might be at least somewhat sensible in terms of Utah's recent signings... however that doesn't mean the GM's so smart. Kevin O'Conner may be brighter than we give him credit for... but he may also be as dumb as we think he is right now. Also, he was the #2 option in Cleveland (not exactly the start of a HOF bid), taking feeds from LeBron. Needless to say the quality of PG in Utah is not the same... so we'll have to wait and see.

(And don't assume you know more about basketball just because someone ripped your team.)

I dont know I think Utah is gonna be pretty good for the next couple years with a front court of Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, and Mehmet Okur. You all might say Okur hasn't done anything productive yet but he has shown a great upside last year and the season before. Last year proved AK47 is the best all-around defensive player in the league and that Boozer is a double-double power forward for years to come. If Harpring can stay healthy and contribute they might get up to a 6 seed for the playoffs.

Amen! Finally, somebody with some actual intelligence! :notworthy:

Utah may be good in a few years, but Harpring's a big question mark, Okur's very much untested, AK47 will command a big salary in a few short years, and if Utah keeps throwing money at the supporting cast, they might not have enough to solidify their backcourt, not to mention resign the Kirilenko in a couple of years.

(And don't assume someone knows something about basketball just because they praised your team.)

but Boozer was misleading with his agreement, so I dont really know who to blame in this case.

I don't know if Boozer was misleading, the negotiations started on Monday.

I'd say telling Cleveland he'd resign if they allowed him to become a free agent, and then jumping ship as soon as he realized someone would bid on him, is somewhat misleading.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It means that the Jazz have been throwing a lot of money at some very untested free agents. If they all really pan out, it could be big... but if the opposite happens, they're saddled with a lot of cap-choking salary to pay.

Well you know, the Jazz do have experienced people within their offices that have experience when certain players have potential or not. It would be pretty stupid to think that Boozer doesn't have potential. He's already proven himself and besides, you take a risk when you sign anybody to a long-term contract.

Boozer might be at least somewhat sensible in terms of Utah's recent signings... however that doesn't mean the GM's so smart. Kevin O'Conner may be brighter than we give him credit for... but he may also be as dumb as we think he is right now.

O'Connor dumb? :lol: Trust me, I have experience with O'Connor and he's not "dumb"!

Also, he was the #2 option in Cleveland (not exactly the start of a HOF bid), taking feeds from LeBron.

Well look at O'Connor now, he sure out-smarted them! Besides, that's just Cleveland buddy. It's not like they have a long history of success in their front office. As far as I'm concerned, Cleveland doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

Needless to say the quality of PG in Utah is not the same... so we'll have to wait and see.

It's called, they're a "young team". Talent has to start from somewhere and then grow. John Stockton didn't just come into the NBA and average 1,000 a season!

(And don't assume you know more about basketball just because someone ripped your team.)

:lol: You assume too much!

Utah may be good in a few years, but Harpring's a big question mark, Okur's very much untested, AK47 will command a big salary in a few short years, and if Utah keeps throwing money at the supporting cast, they might not have enough to solidify their backcourt, not to mention resign the Kirilenko in a couple of years.

Just incase you didn't notice, that's what happens in sports. You get players that are very talented early on and then when they produce big they command big contracts. The key is getting players when they're at the point where they're about to produce big but at that time you can pay them much less then in the future.

(And don't assume someone knows something about basketball just because they praised your team.)

And don't assume that they necessarily don't know anything about basketball just because they praise my team.

I'd say telling Cleveland he'd resign if they allowed him to become a free agent, and then jumping ship as soon as he realized someone would bid on him, is somewhat misleading.

To an extent. Put the fault on John Paxton for sitting on his butt!

Retired Number's To Come

Well you know, the Jazz do have experienced people within their offices that have experience when certain players have potential or not. It would be pretty stupid to think that Boozer doesn't have potential. He's already proven himself and besides, you take a risk when you sign anybody to a long-term contract.

Thing is, the general consensus is that the huge chance they've taken on these players won't pay off.

Boozer might be at least somewhat sensible in terms of Utah's recent signings... however that doesn't mean the GM's so smart. Kevin O'Conner may be brighter than we give him credit for... but he may also be as dumb as we think he is right now.

O'Connor dumb? :lol: Trust me, I have experience with O'Connor and he's not "dumb"!

There's plenty of good sports minds that have made plenty of bad sports/business decisions. Glen Sather is one of them, Isiah Thomas another.

Also, he was the #2 option in Cleveland (not exactly the start of a HOF bid), taking feeds from LeBron.

Well look at O'Connor now, he sure out-smarted them! Besides, that's just Cleveland buddy. It's not like they have a long history of success in their front office. As far as I'm concerned, Cleveland doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

This has nothing to do with front offices, and everything to do with the statement that Boozer's proven goods worth more than $11 million per. IMO, he's not... yet.

Needless to say the quality of PG in Utah is not the same... so we'll have to wait and see.

It's called, they're a "young team". Talent has to start from somewhere and then grow. John Stockton didn't just come into the NBA and average 1,000 a season!

Perhaps not, but having a LeBron quality PG certainly inflated Boozer's stats. Certainly Arroyo can grow into the position, but I'm betting you won't see double teams on Arroyo leaving Boozer wide open anytime soon.

:lol: You assume too much!

5. Do I? "Wow, that's for offering your opinion Mr. Basketball. How do you explain the rest of the world praising Kevin O'Connor and his efforts?" isn't exactly a statement of respect of a more knowledgeable basketball fan by any stretch of the imagination.

Just incase you didn't notice, that's what happens in sports. You get players that are very talented early on and then when they produce big they command big contracts. The key is getting players when they're at the point where they're about to produce big but at that time you can pay them much less then in the future.

Very good point. The Minnesota Twins' recipe for success. However there are sincere doubts about some of these players. However instead of getting these players young and talented and pre-big contracts, there getting 3rd and 4th year players with questionable (or in Boozer's case, more than decent) talent for price tags that seem quite a bit too high. The way I see it, instead of getting good cheap young guys, they're getting decent expensive young guys.

And don't assume that they necessarily don't know anything about basketball just because they praise my team.

I haven't, and I'm planning on keeping it that way.

To an extent. Put the fault on John Paxton for sitting on his butt!

It's a cutthroat place, NBA free agency is, it's the way it is. It's just too bad greed so often overpowers honour in this day and age.

Edit: I have no idea why the IB Code isn't working, sorry.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Get it right then. :lol:

Retired Number's To Come

SFX has done the right thing. Pelinka's by no means squeaky clean, but Boozer seems to be the biggest jerk there.

When you hear he won't even listen to his old college coach, then you know the greed, money, and lifestyl have gone to his head.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

First off, how do we even know what's being reported is true? Maybe the Cavaliers are in the wrong? And I'm not just offering this because I'm a biased Jazz fan who's taking Boozer in as one of our own. I'm a little apprehensive about the situation myself.

Yeppee! Here's the big 1500th post!

Retired Number's To Come

First off, how do we even know what's being reported is true?

Maybe it isn't true, but usually where there's smoke there's fire. And why isn't Boozer deny-deny-denying it? Why aren't the Jazz? If I were to speculate, I'd say because there's quite a bit of truth to it all. Wouldn't surprise me.

Shane Battier was the class of that Duke team anyway...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

all i gotta say is.....

when you (carlos boozer) look a blind man (gordon gund) in the eye and make a verbal commitment to his team, then jump ship at the first chance, you (carlos boozer) will eventually get what's coming to you.

enjoy your career in utah, sport (carlos boozer). you earned it!

What gets me about this is that it's kind of a "he said, she said" situation. There were supposedly only 6 people in the room at the time of the reported meeting on Jun. 30 and one of those is a undisclosed source. It's just really weird. And why would Jim Paxson sit on his butt from July 1st to July 8th? He should have went back to his office after the Jun. 30th meeting and created the contract.

when you (carlos boozer) look a blind man (gordon gund) in the eye and make a verbal commitment to his team, then jump ship at the first chance, you (carlos boozer) will eventually get what's coming to you.

Then again, back to the "he said, she said" situation. Gund is saying Boozer promised and Boozer is saying he didn't make any promises or commitments. How do we know who's really lying when both people seemed to have upstanding reputations.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived