Fictional History of SFL (AFA Universe) 1975: The SFL will return in November 2016

FFWally

Personally I'd love to see two divisions in the Isles. London, Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff? Edinburgh, Dublin, Glasgow and Belfast.

Greens vs. Orange. Highlanders vs. Bulldogs oh so many rivalries you can create in those lands.

The British Isles were the most greatly influenced by Vikings, and will get a pretty strong team base. Northern Germany, France, Belgium and Nederlands as well... of course, After the wall falls the Soviet Block will get some love as well. And the other Nordic countries will all have at least one team.

There will be a few Swedish teams move as the league gets stronger.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1972 Offeason Musings

The first play in for L2 teams was disrupted by the Vikings Victory, as they were the number 2 team and an obscure rule gives a reining champion an automatic exception to the relegation round.

​In the other relegation game Linkoping beat Norkoping 37-20 on aggregate. Meaning Linkoping stays in the SFL for 1973

We have also learned that the new London team may not be an expansion club, and could be an established team moving after the 73 season.

The league in signing London agreed to not add another team from the British Isles for two years, meaning the soonest another team from the islands could be added is 1976.

The league began in 1964 as the Swedish Federation of American Football, and with the inclusion of Oslo and Copenhagen, changed to the current SFL in 1969, but with the announcement of London joining the league in 1974, it appears the league will make yet another name change as it becomes more of a European league. Rumors of Dublin and Edinburgh joining London in 1976, as well as another SND (Sweden/Norway/Denmark) team being added with London.

AEsir_zpsjugjsj01.png

IMO,Aesir dosen't sound too well.I think AFE would be better.

Also,will there be a Football Games Euorpa?

If you have any ideas,PM me.

American Football Europe (AFE) is a strong possibility, right now I am playing with some ideas.

just playing with possible logos, the Aesir is to keep the Scandinavian roots in the league name.

Eventually the league has to expand into the larger European cities, much the way soccer grew from virtually non-existent in the late 1960's in the USA to larger numbers than American football.

Helsinki is at the top of the list. and there are no plans for expanding in Sweden, if an L2 plays in, there will be power shifts.

What about Reykjavik, Helenski, and Dublin would be a good way to keep the global footprint growing.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

Breaking News - SFL Founder, Anders Bergström suffers Major Heart Attack

Ft. Worth, TX - Uppsala team owner and SFL founder Anders Bergström was admitted to Harris Hospital this afternoon after suffering what league officials are calling a major heart attack.

Bergstrom is in Ft Worth visiting with TCU Coach Warren Fain about the continuing development of American football in Europe. Fain is said to be considering a position within the SFL.

Bergström, 58 is a heavy smoker and drinker, so the heart attack does not come as a surprise to those around him. He is expected to remain in Harris Hospital ICU for several days and will undergo further treatment to clear four severely blocked arteries.

Ander's son, C.L. Bergström will take control of Hammer day to day activities until his father is cleared by his personal physician who is flying to the States to oversee his care.

Rumors have it that Bergstrom was in the USA for more than a coaching interview, and Uppsala is looking for an AFA partner team to give the Hammer's a leg up on their competition.

While the league is playing down the severity, sources within the Hammer organization say that C.L. has been taking on more responsibilities as his fathers health has deteriorated over the past 2-3 years.

The 37 year old C.L. Bergström is Harvard educated, and has a MBA from Uppsala University, and upon the founding of the SFL has been a major player in the continuing expansion of the league. It was his marketing acumen that led to the London deal, and as the oldest son, he is responsible for his fathers empire.

There are concerns that if Anders does not recover quickly, C.L. will make drastic changes to the Hammers, including a team wide overhaul, and that includes requesting that the Kommun takes a more active ownership stake in the team. The current ten year lease runs out in 2 years and C.L. is in talks with Solna Kommun about relocating if a stadium deal can't be reached during the 1973 season.

A.B. has developed a reputation of being more focused on the league and less focused on the team, and while C.L. had worked in the league office until 1971, he has been critical of the direction Uppsala football has taken since the early championships.

The next few weeks will be very interesting.

Anders Bergström Update

Dr McGrory, Chief Cardiac Surgeon at Harris Methodist Hospital is addressing the media:

Today at 0935 Anders Bergstrom was admitted with indications of a heart attack.

During his examination he suffered a MI, and was immediately given life support by our amazing staff.

He was shocked back into a stable rhythm, and taken to surgery, where we discovered four arteries with 80-95% blockage, I quadruple bypass was done and Mr Bergstrom is now in ICU.

Any questions?

Bob Jones - Ft Worth Star Telegram - Is it true that Mr Bergstrom was in full arrest when he arrived at Harris?

McG - NO, as I said, he was showing signs of distress, and did not go into arrest until he as being examined.

Fred Barnes - Dallas Morning News - How long will he be here?

McG - At this time we are worried about today, Mr Bergstrom's heart was in very poor condition, and while we did a very good job of correcting the immediate problem, he is 70 pounds overweight, and a heavy smoker. He is in good care, but not out of the woods yet.

Anders Johansson - Swedish American Daily - Will A.B. he able to return to Sweden soon?

McG - Like I told Fred, we need to get through tonight, and tomorrow... after we get 48 hours post op, we will look at how soon he is able to travel. This isn't the 1990's, we don't have a machine we can hook up to him to monitor his heart that leaves the hospital. I would expect him to be at Harris for at least 10 days.

Bob Jones - FWST - Is it true you lost him on the table?

McG - Yes, as we were rolling him into the operating room he coded for a second time. Mr Bergstrom is a very lucky man, had he waited another 5 minutes to go to the Hospital, we would be having a very different conference.

McG - Thank You, and we will have another update on his condition at noon tomorrow.

League reaction was unanimously sympathetic, and Bergstroms room was filled with Flowers, and bottles of his favorite Aquavit, and Cuban cigars...

Both cigars and all but one bottle of Aquavit were passed along to Texas Stallions coaches and management.

The day before the heart attack, Orebro owner Carl Lindholm boarded his private jet for a trip to Pittsburgh, and a meeting with Miners brass about player exchange, but upon arrival in the Steel City, heard the news of Bergstrom's heart attack and after a brief meeting with the Miners, left for Ft Worth, where he was during Bergstrom's surgery.

CL commented to Swedish press: "While AB and I have a very intense rivalry, and have at times been less than friends, it was his leadership that has given all of us this amazing opportunity. And for that I have incredible respect for the man.So, I will be here until he wakes up, I want him to know that we have important things to do, and its not time for him to go... just yet" he said with a smirk.

Bergstrom's health was the lead story on SVT1 and even the King sent a hand signed card and offer of the use of the state transport wing, and cardiac care for his return to Sweden.

Quick update.... Anders Bergstrom has yet to regain consciousness, and will remain in ICU for at least another 48 hours.

Dr McGrory commented briefly to the media:

"Mr Bergstrom was in poor health when he came to Harris, and his excess weight, as well as decreased lung capacity due to decades of smoking has put him at risk. We are taking every step possible to assure his return to health, but it is going to be a long road ahead."

When asked, he responded that Bergstrom's chances of a full recovery were about 60/40, and that if he made it through the next 48 hours, it would increase to roughly 90/10.

Archived