Carolina Hurricanes logo concept

Ti-Nick

It's definitely an interesting idea, with a nice homage to the Whalers (though I don't necessarily think that's needed or a even good thing). I think you could improve it by (1) adding a few more "arms" coming out of the C (hurricanes have many bands of rain, not just three or four); (2) adding a white outline, then a black outline that ends as it comes inside the ascender and descender of the C, but before it would interfere with the H; and (3) maybe italicizing the logo, for a more dynamic look, and since the winds from hurricanes tend to make things do that. (Not sure about that last one, but it would be interesting to consider.)

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

The red color combined with the shape reminds me of fire. Therefore this would work better as an alternate logo for the Calgary Flames (because it's a "C" and fire...) but you'd obviously have to take the hurricane warning flags out.

I really like how it looks like a logo from the 70's. Logos in the 70's were simpler, bolder, and more graphic with less detail. In my mind this is a plus, especially since how it seems sports logos have gotten less and less complicated ever since the Brooklyn Nets unveiled theirs a few years ago.

To further this point and to tell you the God's honest truth, the old Hartford Civic Center logo was actually the very first thing I thought of when looking at your logo, which is funny because that is the arena where the Whalers played most of their home games throughout their entire history. Note how it has a small H in the middle just like your logo. Here are a few images of the old Hartford Civic Center logo in various colors:

d977a2b76a6267e895771adc3afd6f12.jpg

fdbc9c69baeeed176e51d9a7dc40c790.jpg

c05305ba0ee7a366bc5052cb959ad220.jpg

The nod to their previous history as the Whalers with negative space H is really unique. But I think to make this different than the Cyclones logo, you could make it look more like a hurricane in nature like this:hurricane-jeanne-2004.jpgNotice how more than 3 arms protrude from the center. My suggestion is to add more arms onto the logo, while making them smaller, and have them come all the way around the logo. From what I can tell, this logo does have a lot of potential.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

The nod to their previous history as the Whalers with negative space H is really unique. But I think to make this different than the Cyclones logo, you could make it look more like a hurricane in nature like this:hurricane-jeanne-2004.jpgNotice how more than 3 arms protrude from the center. My suggestion is to add more arms onto the logo, while making them smaller, and have them come all the way around the logo. From what I can tell, this logo does have a lot of potential.

This! This! This! After I thought of the old Hartford Civic Center logo, the fact that it didn't look like a hurricane because it didn't have enough arms protruding out was my second though. That's why, combined with the red color, it reminded me more of fire.

It's definitely an interesting idea, with a nice homage to the Whalers (though I don't necessarily think that's needed or a even good thing). I think you could improve it by (1) adding a few more "arms" coming out of the C (hurricanes have many bands of rain, not just three or four); (2) adding a white outline, then a black outline that ends as it comes inside the ascender and descender of the C, but before it would interfere with the H; and (3) maybe italicizing the logo, for a more dynamic look, and since the winds from hurricanes tend to make things do that. (Not sure about that last one, but it would be interesting to consider.)

Great tips! I'll try something to see how it looks.

The red color combined with the shape reminds me of fire. Therefore this would work better as an alternate logo for the Calgary Flames (because it's a "C" and fire...) but you'd obviously have to take the hurricane warning flags out.

I really like how it looks like a logo from the 70's. Logos in the 70's were simpler, bolder, and more graphic with less detail. In my mind this is a plus, especially since how it seems sports logos have gotten less and less complicated ever since the Brooklyn Nets unveiled theirs a few years ago.

To further this point and to tell you the God's honest truth, the old Hartford Civic Center logo was actually the very first thing I thought of when looking at your logo, which is funny because that is the arena where the Whalers played most of their home games throughout their entire history. Note how it has a small H in the middle just like your logo. Here are a few images of the old Hartford Civic Center logo in various colors:

d977a2b76a6267e895771adc3afd6f12.jpg

fdbc9c69baeeed176e51d9a7dc40c790.jpg

c05305ba0ee7a366bc5052cb959ad220.jpg

That Hartford Civic Center logo is just awesome. I too am a big fan of 70's design. My favorite NHL logos come from the late 60's and 70's (Flyers, Sabres, Whalers, Nordiques, Oilers, Blues, etc). I'm definitely trying to do something 70's-ish with that Canes logo.

I'll try this. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
  • Atomic locked this topic

Archived