NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

18 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I hope Arizona figures it out.

It's been almost thirty years my guy 

23 minutes ago, SCMODS said:

You relocate Arizona to Houston, keeping them in the Western Conference and without asking Detroit or Columbus to move to the West. 

🤬 the Red Wings. In a just world the Coyotes would move to Quebec City, the Red Wings would be moved out West again, and told to kick rocks. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Time is a social construct my guy 

So is money but that somehow doesn't make the twenty-seven consecutive seasons in the red and millions upon millions lost any easier to justify. 

• Like 4

Just now, IceCap said:

So is money but that somehow doesn't make the twenty-seven consecutive seasons in the red and millions upon millions lost any easier to justify. 

I mean it's not our money 🤷‍♂️

I mostly just don't want to see the Kachina go, I think it'd enter into Whalers and Nordiques nostalgia territory if they moved away and rebranded. And while both are wastelands of urban sprawl, Phoenix > Houston. 

2 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I mean it's not our money 🤷‍♂️

It's someone's money. Millions of it from Arizona taxpayers. 

3 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I mostly just don't want to see the Kachina go, I think it'd enter into Whalers and Nordiques nostalgia territory if they moved away and rebranded.

I'm tired of this failure of a franchise and failure of a market getting pass after pass, either from the league and their Sunbelt infatuation, the fans who buy into that narrative because it makes them feel smarter than everyone else, or because they had/have quirky uniforms. 

4 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

And while both are wastelands of urban sprawl, Phoenix > Houston. 

Here's the problem with that. Unlike the Phoenix metro area Houston hasn't spent close to thirty years discrediting itself as a NHL market. 

Now I'll be frank, I think Houston is a bad idea for reasons I talked about earlier and and in a just world they'd go to Quebec City because enough with propping up Sunbelt experiments at the expense of the sport's most loyal fans. 

But if you must reduce this to Arizona vs Houston then Houston wins easily simply by virtue of Arizona's total and complete and indefensible failure as a market. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's someone's money. Millions of it from Arizona taxpayers. 

I'm tired of this failure of a franchise and failure of a market getting pass after pass, either from the league and their Sunbelt infatuation, the fans who buy into that narrative because it makes them feel smarter than everyone else, or because they had/have quirky uniforms. 

Here's the problem with that. Unlike the Phoenix metro area Houston hasn't spent close to thirty years discrediting itself as a NHL market. 

Now I'll be frank, I think Houston is a bad idea for reasons I talked about earlier and and in a just world they'd go to Quebec City because enough with propping up Sunbelt experiments at the expense of the sport's most loyal fans. 

But if you must reduce this to Arizona vs Houston then Houston wins easily simply by virtue of Arizona's total and complete and indefensible failure as a market. 

What's your dream 32 for the NHL?

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

Time is a social construct my guy 

Everything is a social construct if you break it down, thus, that term has no meaning. What is true, is that time has an effect on other people and Canadians like @IceCap are tired of being treated like second-class fans.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Everything is a social construct if you break it down, thus, that term has no meaning. What is true, is that time has an effect on other people and Canadians like @IceCap are tired of being treated like second-class fans.

So what sun belt teams are acceptable and what aren't?

16 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

What's your dream 32 for the NHL?

What we have now just swap out Arizona for Quebec City. Hartford is intriguing but they need a new rink before that can ever be considered. 

The ones that are acceptable are the ones who don’t need to be on life support to succeed. So basically every team but Arizona and until very recently Florida and I’m not even sure they’re out of the woods yet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

The ones that are successful are acceptable. 

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker. NOWHERE in this sprawling thread, a monument to the NHL's habitual buffoonery, have I, or anyone else, said that every sunbelt team needs to be gotten rid of. Nowhere. You can check.

I've ALWAYS said teams like Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, even Vegas, have proven the Sunbelt experiment could work.

But teams like Arizona that have utterly failed need to move. And they need to move to some place with a loyal, dedicated fanbase. Up north.

I really don't like that I had to repeat myself to assuage your hurt feelings but whatever. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Just now, IceCap said:

The ones that are successful are acceptable. 

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker. NO WHERE in this sprawling thread, a monument to the NHL's habitual buffoonery, have I, or anyone else, said that every sunbelt team needs to be gotten rid of. No where. You can check.

I've ALWAYS said teams like Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, even Vegas, have proven the Sunbelt experiment could work.

But teams like Arizona that have utterly failed need to move. And they need to move to some place with a loyal, dedicated fanbase. Up north.

I really don't like that I had to repeat myself to assuage your hurt feelings but whatever. 

Dude I'm just asking questions. I don't have hurt feelings. I've only started paying attention to hockey the past two years since I started going to Kings games. The hate on sun belt teams is intriguing to me as someone who is new to the sport and also lives in the sun belt (I think?). I've always thought Carolina and Florida were weirder NHL fits than the Coyotes, but that's just my west coast bias.

• Yawn 1

10 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Dude I'm just asking questions.

Questions that have been answered over and over again. 

You were acting like it was unfair a team that's failed to draw fans or a profit in thirty years was unfairly picked on and then asked "well what Sunbelt teams are acceptable?" like you were put upon. 

Anyway I answered both of your questions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

Questions that have been answered over and over again. 

You were acting like it was unfair a team that's failed to draw fans or a profit in thirty years was unfairly picked on and then asked "well what Sunbelt teams are acceptable?" like you were put upon. 

Anyway I answered both of your questions.

I don't read everything you post.

This is was my whole "argument" to keep the Coyotes:

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

I mostly just don't want to see the Kachina go, I think it'd enter into Whalers and Nordiques nostalgia territory if they moved away and rebranded. And while both are wastelands of urban sprawl, Phoenix > Houston. 

I like the logo and Phoenix as a city more than Houston. That's why I don't want to seem the Coyotes move. That's me acting like its unfair? I'll give you illogical but idk about acting unfair. 

46 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

And this is just an honest question. Maybe acceptable wasn't the right wording but I was just curious. I mean weren't Carolina and Florida train wrecks too not that long ago?

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I mean weren't Carolina and Florida train wrecks too not that long ago?

They're still not looking super great business wise. 

I like the logo and Phoenix as a city more than Houston. That's why I don't want to seem the Coyotes move. That's me acting like it's unfair? I'll give you illogical but idk about acting unfair. 

That's a terrible reason to keep a team in a market that's been failing for 30 years. 

5 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

I don't read everything you post.

Coming in midway through an ongoing conversation to demand people repeat crap they've been saying for years for your benefit isn't a good look. Read some of the older posts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

That's a terrible reason to keep a team in a market that's been failing for 30 years. 

Yeah I know

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Coming in midway through an ongoing conversation to demand people repeat crap they've been saying for years for your benefit isn't a good look. Read some of the older posts. 

Demand? Cmon man don't be dramatic. 

The dream NHL 32 is a fun question, could of been a good discussion. 

19 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

The dream NHL 32 is a fun question, could have been a good discussion. 

I'm sorry my answer to that was is boring then. 

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about you asking "which sunbelt teams are acceptable?" 

We've been litigating that this whole time. And it's not even something you have to have read every post in this thread to get. 

"The Sunbelt markets that work are acceptable the ones that are failing aren't" isn't some crazy take. 

4 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I'm sorry my answer to that was is boring then. 

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about you asking "which sunbelt teams are acceptable?" 

We've been litigating that this whole time. And it's not even something you have to have read every post in this thread to get. 

"The Sunbelt markets that work are acceptable the ones that are failing aren't" isn't some crazy take. 

Okay yeah but opinions vary, I was just asking. Carolina and Florida in addition to Arizona could be considered "unacceptable", you even said yourself they still aren't great business wise. Wasn't someone in this thread just defending Dallas having a team too? Maybe you think the Ducks are unnecessary? It was just a question, you don't have to reply if you don't want to.