New Evidence - Pete Rose Bet on Baseball (& the Reds) as a Player

Gothamite

Pete Rose will be put in the HOF as soon as he's dead enough not to profit from it. Same goes for Barry Bonds.

Barroids maybe, depending on how opinions change on dopers in the next 40 or so years. I don't think Rose'll get in posthumously. He bet on baseball as a player and manager, then lied about it for 30 years. Joe Jackson was banned for life, and remains banned 64 years after his death despite the fact that he never took any money, supposedly tried to tell Comiskey about the fix, and the other seven players maintained that they used Jackson's name only to gain credibility among the bookies. Sure, Rose is more of a popular cause, but I don't think he'll get in.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but Rose is the all time hits leader, you don't keep something like that out of the hall

Sure you can. They've done it for the last 30 years. Shoeless Joe has the third highest lifetime batting average and they've had no problem keeping him out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah. Comiskey was cheap as hell, but a good amount of the stuff in 8 Men Out was either lies or sensationalized. For instance, I think they made a big deal about players having to pay to launder their own uniforms, but that was actually pretty standard in baseball at that time. I also believe the players weren't paid less than their contemporaries, on average. The thing with sitting Eddie Ciccotte so he couldn't pitch his final game to win his 30th and get a bonus is plenty sleazy, but that's not even really confirmed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

but Rose is the all time hits leader, you don't keep something like that out of the hall

Sure you can. They've done it for the last 30 years. Shoeless Joe has the third highest lifetime batting average and they've had no problem keeping him out.

Besides, they're not keeping that out. Rose's record is on full display at the Hall. He's just not eligible for induction himself.

Besides, they're not keeping that out. Rose's record is on full display at the Hall. He's just not eligible for induction himself.

Then there's really not a problem. It's not like Chris Benoit where the WWF has to be like "and the main event was Shawn Michaels and HHH losing to another person."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You know people have opinions different than the masses, or is that illegal now. It seems if you don't agree with the crowd you need to be silenced that is the new way in Amerika.

Good series.

America_Poster.jpg

I think putting him in the Hall will get him out of the spotlight.

The only time he's in the spotlight is when people dredge his old ass out to talk about the HOF. He's like Sarah Palin - if you ignore him, he'll go away. And his dying will take him out of whatever 'spotlight' you've placed him in in your mind as well.

nav-logo.png

Archived