New Evidence - Pete Rose Bet on Baseball (& the Reds) as a Player

Gothamite

The HOF has baseball WRITERS vote for who is elected into it. They are a bunch of frustrated, never-were athletes who will hold grudges until they die, or even after the player dies!

Oh no no no. The baseball nerds, Bill James et al, would never allow an injustice like not having Buck Leonard or Gil Hodges NOT in the HOF. Writers are just frustrated non-athletes.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he is a scumbag. He'll probably continue to lie about this for years to come.

I don't want to get completed roasted, but he was a great player. I think he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.

spacer.png

Yes, he is a scumbag. He'll probably continue to lie about this for years to come.

I don't want to get completed roasted, but he was a great player. I think he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.

And, while he bet on baseball, I don't think that he stole championships with his gambling like the Patriots probably did with what they were doing. Rose had the book thrown at him, while NE's transgressions are swept under the rug. That isn't right.

And, while he bet on baseball, I don't think that he stole championships with his gambling like the Patriots probably did with what they were doing. Rose had the book thrown at him, while NE's transgressions are swept under the rug. That isn't right.

Different sport, different transgression. What the Pats did, if they in fact did it, was equivalent to something like to the famous Pine Tar incident with George Brett or at worst Sammy Sosa's corked bat incident. The latter of which had a similar punishment.

Betting on the game like Rose did is betting on the game, it's the cardinal sin of sports crimes. And if you do it, history shows you get the book thrown at you, and continually thrown at you until you die. Shoeless Joe would attest to that as would the commissioner as his office wouldn't exist without it having happened. And it's as it should be. There is no higher crime against the game that calls the core integrity of the game into question than betting on games you're playing or managing. If Tom Brady had bet on football you can bet he'd be looking at a similar lifetime ban from football. First rule of playing professional sports is that you don't bet on professional sports.

The only reason I ever thought he should be in the hall because I feel like the player and the manager are typically separate. Example: Joe Torre the player: never a HOFer. Joe Torre the Manager: no doubt HOFer.

With this though, no doubt keep him out. Sucks for the fans the all time hit leader isn't in the hall but he doesn't deserve it.

The only reason I ever thought he should be in the hall because I feel like the player and the manager are typically separate. Example: Joe Torre the player: never a HOFer. Joe Torre the Manager: no doubt HOFer.

With this though, no doubt keep him out. Sucks for the fans the all time hit leader isn't in the hall but he doesn't deserve it.

That's fine, he and the all time HR leader can take a trip to Bermuda and commiserate on a beach together... But they'll never see each other in the HOF.

The HOF has baseball WRITERS vote for who is elected into it. They are a bunch of frustrated, never-were athletes who will hold grudges until they die, or even after the player dies!

IF he did bet while a player, then yes, he's ineligible.

Seriously, why the "IF"? What makes you think he didn't, since he's lied about everything else? He's even admitted to lying for decades about betting on games he managed.

What about this situation leads you to believe that he's telling the truth about this one thing after lying about everything else for so long?

...And any hope for the Hall of Fame is now toast.

I wonder if the Commissioner is going to retract the offer for him to be at the All-Star game in Cincinnati?

Good thing the ASG festivities aren't in Cincinnati oh wait.

As for the HOF, no way. I always hear the angle that the Baseball HOF is not the MLB HOF... when of course every single voter is an MLB affiliated writer yes? Soo...

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The Reds asked if they could include Pete Rose in their all-star game celebrations. The commissioner initially said yes (as Selig had before him on occasion), but we can hope this new evidence causes all parties to reconsider.

While we're at it can we add a 15th bat to this thing?

7425071.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

While we're at it can we add a 15th bat to this thing?

?

MLB wouldn't let the Reds officially retire Pete Rose's #14 so they snuck it in by putting 14 bats on the smokestacks.

BTW the only player to wear #14 for the Reds since Pete Rose was Pete Rose Jr for 11 games in 1997.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Stop making the Hall of Fame the Hall of Honor and put the great players in or remove Ty Cobb, Fergusson Jenkins and Orlando Cepeda.

C'mon, Francis, do you really believe that getting busted for weed is just as bad as betting on the game? :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

I feel bad for the city of Cincinnati.

They're one of the few cities that really loves baseball. The baseball universe will be in their town in three weeks, and celebrating the best the sport can offer is going to be dwarfed by these newly-announced Pete Rose findings. Now Rose wasn't going to be the centerpiece of the All-Star festivities, but he was going to be a part of it. This is an event the city and the team has been planning for years. If Rose stays a part of the festivities or not, he's now the main talking point when everyone arrives in Cincinnati.

ESPN really screwed over the city on this one. They really couldn't wait a month or during the offseason?

Archived