Harrisburg Militia SC Concept (Update 7-7)

Jake88

This concept started when I was asked to do a logo that a team in the NAHL will use starting next year (that's the most I can give away at this point). At the time, I made the logo using Paint.net, which as I'm sure most of you know, is not a vector program. When I sent the logos in, I was asked to include vectors because that's what the jersey company uses to produce the images. I really didn't know how to convert the files to vector at the time so I just copy pasted and saved the files as .svgs. So when I got some free time a week or so later I started to try to learn how to work in Inkscape since vector seemed to be how you got around as a designer. Lucky I found this great tutorial by Raysox which definitely helped me learn the program. I also learned how to properly convert bitmaps (I did redo those files by the way). And so to further hone my skills, I decided to make this concept.

As of now the Harrisburg City Islanders use one of the worst logos in professional sports. Although I could work with the name (the team plays on an Island), I decided to go full rebrand with the look. I decided to go with Militia since militias originally protected the colonies as makeshift armies (perfect for a USL team...) and it ties them in with their affiliates the Philadelphia Union.

Harrisburg%2BMilitia%2BSC%2BLogo%2BConce

The horses in the logo where found in the Pennsylvania state flag, along with the colors. The font I used for this was Straight Block made by Conrad. Its a pretty simple logo so I don't really have much else to say

Harrisburg%2BMilitia%2BSC%2BKit%2BConcep

For the home kit I went classy and pretty simple, with the only added feature being gold stripes on the sleeves. For the clash I did a transparent triangle design that I think Raysox used on one of his US Soccer 2030 teams. For the sponsor I went with Sheetz which was founded where I live and has a nice logo I wanted to use as a sponsor. Also thanks to Raysox for the template (As if I hadn't credited him enough)...

Any C&C is helpful, as well as any comments about tricks that I can use in Inkscape as well (Coloring in Transparent areas comes to mind) would be great too.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Really solid concept here! Great colors, name, logo, and uniforms.

My only nitpick is the horse mane. I love how you took the horses from the flag, but the portion of the mane that goes up and around the head looks a bit odd as a silhouette. I think eliminating the hair in front of the ears will clean it up a little. Just my two cents.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

I loved the uniforms and the colors! I have to agree with S. Tom P on mane part on the horses, try to have some hair on backs so it doesn't look funny or odd in a way. But overall good going!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

I loved the uniforms and the colors! I have to agree with S. Tom P on mane part on the horses, try to have some hair on backs so it doesn't look funny or odd in a way. But overall good going!

Really solid concept here! Great colors, name, logo, and uniforms.

My only nitpick is the horse mane. I love how you took the horses from the flag, but the portion of the mane that goes up and around the head looks a bit odd as a silhouette. I think eliminating the hair in front of the ears will clean it up a little. Just my two cents.

Thanks guys, the tail originally was also really puffy but I fixed that, I'll clean it up and see how the mane looks

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Sure beats the palm tree "City slanders"! Good job.

I like that the horses come from the Pennsylvania arms- how about replacing the generic soccer ball in the centre with the keystone from the city flag, or the state capitol dome from the flag/seal? Or a sword or rifle relating to the militia?

us-pahrb2.gif

Harrisburg-PA-City-Seal.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

This is great! Nice logo and kits. This is definetly an ungrade! lol

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Fantastic color selection. Maybe blue would look better on the arms of the away kit than gold does.

Tried that originally, it fits better with the gold chest stripes with the striping that way

Sure beats the palm tree "City slanders"! Good job.

I like that the horses come from the Pennsylvania arms- how about replacing the generic soccer ball in the centre with the keystone from the city flag, or the state capitol dome from the flag/seal? Or a sword or rifle relating to the militia?

I had a flag in there originally, but couldn't get it to look good. I also considered a rifle but I figured it would be too controversial. I also sketched a few keystone designs but it didn't flow as well.

Heres the updated version with hairless horses and a new font.

Harrisburg%2BMilitia%2BSC%2BLogo%2BConce

I really struggled on the ears so if anyone has suggestions to fix those please comment, the font is still "choppy" but a smooth font didn't look good at all, and this fits the classy theme.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

How about you keep the soccer ball, but replace the one central pentagonal panel with a keystone shape? The shape is similar, but it would be another subtle Harrisburg/Pennsylvania touch.

The horses do need manes.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived