CFL Scoring

Nate15

Only in Canada, eh? I can't think of his name, but there was a guy for the Jets who booted a 98-yard punt in the NFL.

How much of a wind did he have behind him? This kid (a Bomber, cannon for a leg, only knock against him is he's from Saskatchewan) had NO BREEZE, and the punt still sailed 60+ before hitting the ground.

He's only 23. Give him time to mature and get used to the speed of the Canadian game.

Are you sure it wasn't a Winnipeg Jet? ;):flagcanada:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of weird scores, always kinda wondered if anyone had heard of this elsewhere. We were playing our rivals in HS about 6 years ago, and we won on a safety. Final score 2-0. Has anyone else ever heard of a played game ending like this? I'm sure its happened but probably not often.

This really makes me feel old, but I remember back in 1978 the Bills beat the Bengals 5-0. The Stadium was about half full (The Bills were coming off of two years of 2-12 and 3-13 or somewhere around there. They were already like 2-5 that season) the fans were trying to keep themselves from slipping into a coma. I was only 13 so I don't remember too many details, but It certainly wasn't that low scoring because the teams were such great defensive teams.

Longest punt:

CFL - 108 yards - Zenon Andrusyshyn, Tor - Tor@Edm - Oct 23, 1977

NFL - 98 yards - Steve O'Neal, NYJ - NYJ@Den - Sep 21, 1969

Personally, I am in favour of scrapping the single point in instances where the team giving up the point has no part in the play. For example, a punt through the endzone would not receive a point. A punt where the receiving team does not bring it out of the endzone would condede the point. Of course with 20 yard endzones and high scoring games this doesn't come up/affect games too often.

Longest punt:

CFL - 108 yards - Zenon Andrusyshyn, Tor - Tor@Edm - Oct 23, 1977

I remember that game...watched on CBC Sunday when I was 7. My dad was swearing all over the place about Andrusyshyn, but wow.

One more story about Jon Ryan, our new rookie punter- he's only 23, yes, so a punt over 92 yards is probable in his career (I can see him going to the NFL in the next few years, since he's got the length but his accuracy is a little wonky)...against Saskatchewan, in the rain, he bobbled a snap, so it was esentially a broken play...while he was running out of bounds, he decided to give the ball a little kick downfield, off-balance...and it still went 41 yards before it bounced out-of-bounds...Just amazed that a rookie like that had the presence of mind to 1. try that, and 2. that it went that far, without setting up and giving it a good hoof.

Back to the scoring.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The CFL field ... has always been bigger than the NFL field.

American field used to be bigger (Canadian size roughly), except at Yale, because they had a small field in the old Yale Bowl, so when the sizes were standardized, they went with the size everyone could use. Oh, i guess that was pre-NFL...anywho. And i only know that because i had to do this large report on the history of football once.... ^_^

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Speaking of weird scores, always kinda wondered if anyone had heard of this elsewhere.  We were playing our rivals in HS about 6 years ago, and we won on a safety.  Final score 2-0.  Has anyone else ever heard of a played game ending like this?  I'm sure its happened but probably not often.

strangely enough, when i was a senior at Case i'd heard the freshman team had beaten Tremper 2-0 :D (it was a road game, which is why i remember). unfortunately, it was their only win of the year which was one more than the varsity :cursing:

The Bears beat the Packers in a pre-season game in 1971 by a 2-0 score. The legendary Frank Patrick was sacked for a safety.

Also, a safety can be worth one point in the NFL. I saw this in an "Ask the Referee" column in the Chicago Tribune last year. On an extra point attempt, if the kicking team were to lose possession of the ball, and the defending team were to knock the ball backward and out of the end zone, the ruling is for a safety, and one point is awarded to the kicking team. Of course, if the defense just picks up the ball, it's dead (as has already been pointed out).

It's where I sit.

The CFL field ... has always been bigger than the NFL field.

American field used to be bigger (Canadian size roughly), except at Yale, because they had a small field in the old Yale Bowl, so when the sizes were standardized, they went with the size everyone could use. Oh, i guess that was pre-NFL...anywho. And i only know that because i had to do this large report on the history of football once.... ^_^

yeah, that was. interestingly enough, the NFL used college rules in the 20s and early 30s before they got around to making some changes

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

yeah, that was. interestingly enough, the NFL used college rules in the 20s and early 30s before they got around to making some changes

I can't remember, who used the goalposts at the back of the endzone first, NFL, NCAA, or AFL?

I wish the NFL would use nice, wide hashmarks like the NCAA and CFL. It's kinda silly to make the poor college kickers take those extreme angles if the pros dont have to. Crazy angles make for fun kicks! (and fun lopsided running and passing plays) :D

And could we get American football to implement the rouge? Thats a great idea you Canucks had up there, trying to get the receiving team to actually return kicks. Basically, could we get your entire rule set? Please? :flagcanada:

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Longest punt:

NFL - 98 yards - Steve O'Neal, NYJ - NYJ@Den - Sep 21, 1969

that was in DENVER

Thus the "@Den" part, yes, we noticed.

Might your last name happen to be Craven?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived