SCHOOL LOGO REDESIGN

Whitefoot

My son who has cerebral palsy attends a school for students with special needs ages 3-22. It is an amazing place and we are lucky that my son has this type of educational opportunity. There are no athletic teams, so the school's logo is primarily used in print materials (letterheads, flyers, etc.) and staff shirts. As you can see the current logo is a basic paw print. When I decided to try and redesign the school's logo I was surprised to learn the school mascot is a bear. I had assumed for 4 years that it was a wolf or wildcat or some animal like that.
I have created 3 redesigns for the school using a roundel with the school name and motto,

The first design is a paw print for a grizzly bear. Please give me some feedback on ways to improve the design.

miller_01.png

I think the claws/nails are far too long and should be "trimmed" (hehe). Also I think the pads for each finger (for want of a better word) should all be the same size. It looks too human at the moment.

Definitely fix the claws though.

I commend you for doing this for your kid as well as the others who attend. It will hopefully bring them a sense of pride for their school. As our mascot did for our school.

As some others already pointed out the paw print looks a little disproportionate and the heavy outline should be thinned out a bit.

It's a good starting point however. I like how you included the school's motto. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you for the feedback on my bear paw redesign. I tried several ideas for modifications, but most looked worse. When researching bear paw prints logos online I noticed many are designed so symmetrical that they no longer have realistic features. I understand that symmetry is eye pleasing, but I would like to keep the shape as true as possible (making it stand apart from the clip art) .

I based the design on a photo of an actual grizzly bear paw, so in this update I did my best to modify the shapes to be more ideal and less exact to the photo. I changed some the spacing and thinned the outline as suggested. I also used an alternative to the school motto, but I am not sure if it is better than the school motto.

Jaha32 can you give me more details on what you mean by "cleaning up"? I see this phrase used on these boards a lot, but as an amateur to logo design to me the phrase has very broad and vague meanings.

miller_01_2.png

Hmm... I would agree that you have gone by correcting the paw print, but to me it looks very much as an adult bear, since it is an elementary school. I was just looking up for a bear cub paw print which I liked your approach to the logo. But somehow i bumped into one of the images which i thought might help out with your idea of logo. here is the image i found, but clearly you gotta make it your own. It is only an idea. I liked where you are heading into. This one got a cub's head inside the paw, however it is only an idea. Keep it a kid-friendly cool logo!

089483051e5910ee81b24f145e6d3137.jpg

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Here is my latest update. I found a new photo of a grizzly bear paw that I liked and redrew the paw print. It is more symmetrical and I matched the outline thickness to the roundel outline thickness. I also increased the shading slightly.

The school is not an elementary school, but a special education school that serves a population K-12.

I would appreciate any feedback on this latest update.

miller_01_3.png

Archived