"World" Championships that aren't

DJSpeedy

The Stanley Cup has never been officially referred to as the WOrld Championship--but the Super Bowl has, even if it's not in the name.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Of the big four, the NHL champions are the only ones that I haven't heard of as being refered to as the World Champions by any team or the league.

I've always thought it was a stretch to say that the NBA, NFL or NBA champions were the world champions. Yes, these leagues do have great players, some of hte best in the world, but in the Big 4, they only play other North American teams. They do not play teams from Japan in a championship series, or Europian teams do they?

A question for anyone who knows; do Europian leagues name their champions "World Champions"? Just like players come to NA to plpay Pro-sports, some players go to the Other side of hte pond to play as well. What is stoping them from assuming they have the best players int eh world, or that their teams are the best ing hte world?

Of the big four, the NHL champions are the only ones that I haven't heard of as being refered to as the World Champions by any team or the league.

I've always thought it was a stretch to say that the NBA, NFL or NBA champions were the world champions. Yes, these leagues do have great players, some of hte best in the world, but in the Big 4, they only play other North American teams. They do not play teams from Japan in a championship series, or Europian teams do they?

A question for anyone who knows; do Europian leagues name their champions "World Champions"? Just like players come to NA to plpay Pro-sports, some players go to the Other side of hte pond to play as well. What is stoping them from assuming they have the best players int eh world, or that their teams are the best ing hte world?

There aren't any leagues in Europe who calll there champuions world champions, but it is a bit different- most european leagues of irtually any sport are sports that they play in other countries.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The NFL is the premier league in the world. It's champions are the best team in the world. Therefore, the are "World Champions".

Same with Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Ok, but see MY point of all this is that the American teams do not play other non-American teams, except for those cities already established in the leagues, and even then, it doesn't count. :P

The ONLY team that can truly consider itself a "World" champ is the USA Olympic basketball team, because that team truly DOES play the "world". The other leagues DO NOT.

It's not a matter of a countries best PLAYERS in the American leagues - it's a matter of the American TEAMS not playing other, foreign teams.

How do we KNOW the Super Bowl or World Series champs are the best in the WORLD? We really don't - because they don't play other world teams! :D

sig1.gif

It's not a matter of a countries best PLAYERS in the American leagues - it's a matter of the American TEAMS not playing other, foreign teams.

Yes, it is. As far as professional sports goes the American leagues are the best in the world and thusly their champions are the best in the world. When players from foreign countries come over to play here that makes those foreign teams and leagues minor leagues. Think about it, one of the top qb's in the CFL last year is now a backup of the New York Jets a team under .500 last year. The CFL a high-quality unofficial minor league of the NFL. The Stanley cup champ doesn't play the AHL champ but there is no doubt who would win. The same thing applies here, there is no doubt that the American team would win because the American team has the far better talent. To sum up the foriegn leagues are just unofficial minor leagues to the big 4 leagues, thus why the best players coming over does matter.

The NFL is the premier league in the world. It's champions are the best team in the world. Therefore, the are "World Champions".

Same with Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey.

Considering it's the only country that takes that brand of football seriously (aside from Canada), of course they would be 'world' champions. Do you expect one day a team from Kenya will beat the Dallas Cowboys? C'mon. Yes, I would also say the same for basketball, baseball and hockey.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived