NHL Discussing "More Offense"-ive Rules

agentrygraphics

Eliminating the two line pass would be horrendous, horrendou I say! If anyone thinks we live in a defensive age now, just wait! Coaches would not allow their defenseman to even leave their end! I could even see some coaches telling a forward to make sure they stay in the neutral zone whenever the puck is in the offensive zone.

I respectfully disagree! I, for one, think it would open up the play far more than forcing the goalie to stay in front of the net!

If you look at an international game, the defensemen aren't waiting for the other team's forwards in their own zone. They're taking chances and sometimes a big break happens. That's how it should be...

They have removed the two line pass in minor hockey and it has been far more interesting that way! Advantage is given back to fast players who, currently, can't get past all hooking and interference. In my rec league, we don't have this rule and it makes a game faster. Sure, sometimes passes aren't directly on the stick, but an icing or two is not that big of a deal. How does it compare when you can skate almost half the ice in a breakaway and score???

Also, I'm for the touch-up offsides and no touch icing. That's just plain good sense :D

And for goalie equipment, if they reduce pad size, they should eventually forbid one-piece composite sticks... It helps a lot of players to have a devastating shot. I know that some of the defensemen still use wooden sticks, but forwards use mainly one-piece. So reducing goalie equipment could bring them more injuries...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Additional scoring is definately a must in the NHL. For every exciting 1-0 game there are a lot more 3-1 duds (third goal scored into the empty net).

The problem now is such a huge majority of games are already decided after two periods. You see it during the broadcast of every game. At the beginning of the third party they show a stat for each teams record when leading or trailing after two periods. It's usuall something like 23-1-3-1 when leading and 2-17-2-3 when trailing. If your team starts the third period down a goal (or god forbid more than that) you have forty minutes (real time) of trapping, icing and delays. The intensitiy rarely approaches an elevated level until there are two minutes left in the period and the team goes all out double and triple shifting their first line forwards and pull the goalie with 45 seconds left.

To those who say the sanctity of the game would be damaged by enlarging the nets, I disagree. The game played today does not even resemble the game of the first half of the past century, equipment has changed drastically as has the size of the players themselves. If changing the size of the nets is wrong then uncurve the players sticks, take out the carbon fiber and get back to all wood sticks, remove the helmets and masks for the players.

Will the record books change? Certainly, but that happens in every sport. Technology will alway create challenges to those in control to try and balance between progress and the integrity of the sport.

The NFL has dealt with this pretty well, and I think the league that does this best is NASCAR. They are constantly addressing issues that arise that might shift the balance of power too much towards one manufacturer (Dodge, Ford, Chevy etc...) then they alter rules to try and make sure that EVERYONE has a chance every week to be successful. Of course in NASCAR some moves have to be made in the name of driver safety.

One last rant, I don't believe in no touch icing. There are far more times where a forward beats the defenseman to the puch than there are injuries. They could just make it illegal to hit the defensemen that goes back to touch the puck. It seems to me that a guy skating all the way from his own blue line and hitting the defensemen is clearly guilty of a "charging" penalty anyway. There is no reason to hit the guy unless the icing is waved off anyway, the forwards job on this play is to try and touch the puck not hit the defensemen into the private boxes.

Eliminating the two line pass would be horrendous, horrendou I say! If anyone thinks we live in a defensive age now, just wait! Coaches would not allow their defenseman to even leave their end! I could even see some coaches telling a forward to make sure they stay in the neutral zone whenever the puck is in the offensive zone.

I respectfully disagree! I, for one, think it would open up the play far more than forcing the goalie to stay in front of the net!

If you look at an international game, the defensemen aren't waiting for the other team's forwards in their own zone. They're taking chances and sometimes a big break happens. That's how it should be...

They have removed the two line pass in minor hockey and it has been far more interesting that way! Advantage is given back to fast players who, currently, can't get past all hooking and interference. In my rec league, we don't have this rule and it makes a game faster. Sure, sometimes passes aren't directly on the stick, but an icing or two is not that big of a deal. How does it compare when you can skate almost half the ice in a breakaway and score???

Also, I'm for the touch-up offsides and no touch icing. That's just plain good sense :D

And for goalie equipment, if they reduce pad size, they should eventually forbid one-piece composite sticks... It helps a lot of players to have a devastating shot. I know that some of the defensemen still use wooden sticks, but forwards use mainly one-piece. So reducing goalie equipment could bring them more injuries...

You know why this occurs in international play?? This is because the North American players are more used to North American rules, so they in effect get "caught" to far forward. I do not how many interviews I have seen with guys saying this. For instance, I remember shortly after Canada lost, what was it, 5-0 to Sweden at the 2002 Olympics interviews some of the defenseman saying they forgot about the absence of the red line on Mats Sundin's breakway goal. Trust me on this one, it will get much more defensive, if they can take a system such as the trap, and make it defensive, because we all the know the trap was originally designed to increase offense, non? Bonus points to anyone who can tell me by whom and where the trap was invented. :) Back to my point, if they can take that system and make it defensive, then without the red line it will many times worse.

i believe that this is jsut a trend, althought it will not fix itself, i believe that you would see much better play if the salary cap was introduced and lineups were shrunk. this would make everyone try harder for their positions and you would have guys that are passionate about playing and not about money. what would the league be like with everyone making less than 2 million. you would have guys that paly for the game. also dont take away from defense just add to offence

You know why this occurs in international play?? This is because the North American players are more used to North American rules, so they in effect get "caught" to far forward. I do not how many interviews I have seen with guys saying this. For instance, I remember shortly after Canada lost, what was it, 5-0 to Sweden at the 2002 Olympics interviews some of the defenseman saying they forgot about the absence of the red line on Mats Sundin's breakway goal. Trust me on this one, it will get much more defensive, if they can take a system such as the trap, and make it defensive, because we all the know the trap was originally designed to increase offense, non? Bonus points to anyone who can tell me by whom and where the trap was invented. :) Back to my point, if they can take that system and make it defensive, then without the red line it will many times worse.

to add to this, the international games are all-star tournaments. They feature the top players in the world at their respective level weather it be the junoir tournaments or the olympics. The level a play is very high. Look at the NHL All-Star game it features much higher scoring than a regular game (granted, some of that has to do with no checking) but still the level of play is very high and their is more scoring.

to add to this, the international games are all-star tournaments. They feature the top players in the world at their respective level weather it be the junoir tournaments or the olympics. The level a play is very high. Look at the NHL All-Star game it features much higher scoring than a regular game (granted, some of that has to do with no checking) but still the level of play is very high and their is more scoring.

I have to admit that I did forget one major point... I think they should go with a bigger ice surface ( international ). This will certainly help fast players as they will have more open ice to play.

However, I understand that International tournaments feature all-star players. But then again, shouldn't the NHL be an all-star league? I tend to believe that there are too many teams, so talent is spread too widely, but that's completely another issue.

I do think that the All-Star game might be somewhat of a good example, but let's face it... Overpayed players in a game where there is no benefits at the end (except the DODGE truck).

I do believe that removing the two line pass will at least accelerate the play (less stoppage time) and give more chances for a player to get a breakaway, but not that many more chances. :P

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Now don't get me wrong I love hockey now, the way it is. It's great but if NHL doesn't want to fold they need to bring fans in and create "superstars." The NHL doesn't have "superstars" like they had in the 90's. People like Ray Bourque, Mario Lemieux and of course Wayne Gretzky. Making these rules will make more goals, more goals will create in more records, and more highlights, and more "Great goals." Even though I love hockey the way it is, this needs to be done. I don't like it but there is no other way.

I never ever trust any administrators who want to make there game more exciting! If you like the game so much, if you are excited by it so much- why make it more exciting?? hockey desperately needs a hockey man in charge of it! Someone who can sell the game as is, not mess about with it!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I never ever trust any administrators who want to make there game more exciting! If you like the game so much, if you are excited by it so much- why make it more exciting?? hockey desperately needs a hockey man in charge of it! Someone who can sell the game as is, not mess about with it!

agreed completely. The problem with the NHL is PR. Rule changes won't bring ratings up because your non-hockey fan won't know what the rule chages mean. The NHL needs to sell the game as is, run commercials on tv during non-hockey games and programming. Run commercials during a basketyball game saying how much better hockey is to basketball. Say that all 60 minutes of a hockey game matter whereas only the final 2 minutes of a basketball game are better. Run ads saying how Hockey players are more athletic than basketball players. The NHL needs to run an Ad Campaign much the same way Pepsi does their commercials saying how they are better.

Run more commercials selling the clean hits, sell the goaltending. Basically sell the defense, the NFL is able to do this why can't the NHL. Think of how many great defenses you can remember in football history and think of how many great offenses you can remember in football history. I bet you think of more defenses. The NHL needds to do the same thing. Give the trap a catchy nickname that puts it in a more positive light. The reason why the NFL is so popular is becuase they have always had good PR. The NHL needs to take a page from them and start having good PR. No one should be alowed to talk bad about the game. An announcer complains about how the game in general is being played he's fired. A player complains about the league and how the game is being played he's suspended and fined most of his paycheck.

The league needs to get aggresive in thier marketing and needs to stop the trashing of the league from within.

I'd institute no-touch icing, just to cut down on injuries.

If memory serves the North American Hockey League (US Junior "A") has flip-flopped on the no-touch icing and I prefer the touch icing. The puck goes in towards the in boards, everyone backs off, the whistle blows and they all skate to the other end. Boring. I prefer to see the foot race (skate race?) into the corner with the offensive team trying to salvage the attack and the defensive team trying to earn an offensive face-off. In the games I went to last season - the first without no-touch icing - I didn't see any injuries.

Maybe the injuries are a bigger problem than I realize. I just think that last burst to the puck to try and get/prevent icing is more fun to watch.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

I'd institute no-touch icing, just to cut down on injuries.

If memory serves the North American Hockey League (US Junior "A") has flip-flopped on the no-touch icing and I prefer the touch icing. The puck goes in towards the in boards, everyone backs off, the whistle blows and they all skate to the other end. Boring. I prefer to see the foot race (skate race?) into the corner with the offensive team trying to salvage the attack and the defensive team trying to earn an offensive face-off. In the games I went to last season - the first without no-touch icing - I didn't see any injuries.

Maybe the injuries are a bigger problem than I realize. I just think that last burst to the puck to try and get/prevent icing is more fun to watch.

I could not agree more, touch icing is more exciting, but I think the point here is not so much that injuries are a common occurence. It is that when someone does get injured, it is potentially career ending; see Pat Paek, Marco Sturm (although his career is not over .... yet.)

Since we are on the topic of changes .... I would not mind seeing them get back to the basics, so to speak. By this I mean, more along the lines of Shinny. Less structure, it would more than likely be more enjoyable for the players to play and in theory more enjoyable for the fans to watch. That is just my opinion though....

Hockey is not a game of skill

It isn't? :therock:

I understand about the will....the team that wants it gets its. Thats the mentallity that I tell the kids that I help coach, but hockey does require skill and god-given talent.

Shooting a puck down the ice is not talent...any mentally handicapped person could shoot it down to the opposite side of the ice surface! That's prolly how my brother can make the all star team

goalies are the only ones with talent when it comes to hockey :wacko:

Hockey is not a game of skill

It isn't? :therock:

I understand about the will....the team that wants it gets its. Thats the mentallity that I tell the kids that I help coach, but hockey does require skill and god-given talent.

Shooting a puck down the ice is not talent...any mentally handicapped person could shoot it down to the opposite side of the ice surface! That's prolly how my brother can make the all star team

goalies are the only ones with talent when it comes to hockey :wacko:

So skating, stick handling, passing, etc. are no longer considered skills? :huh:

Additional scoring is definately a must in the NHL. For every exciting 1-0 game there are a lot more 3-1 duds (third goal scored into the empty net).

What those 3-1 one type of games are exciting. If the third goal is an empty netter that means there was a 1 goal differential for most of the game. Close game are exciting.

Archived