Help With Red Sox Throwback Cap

soxkrazy

Hi, everybody. I was just wondering if any board members had more information on this cap.  I know the Red Sox wore this against the Braves in 1997 for two games. What I don't know is what was stitched on the back of the cap. I have searched on the Internet, but I have only been able to come up with photos that show the cap from the side or front.  Any help would be much appreciated!

image.jpeg

Henderson has 3 pics from that series.  Two of them are of Nomar batting & a different guy baserunning (regular blue batting helmets), but the third pic is of Nomar in the field.  He's wearing the red/blue 1975 throwback hat.  So they might not have even worn the same hat for the whole series.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

All hats in 1997 were New Era.

And batterman logo doesn't mean it's a New Era cap.  Sports Specialties hats had batterman logos. 

Pretty sure it was the batterman logo.  MLB didn't allow too much else on a hat.  

Since you don't know what it is, I'm not sure how you possibly can declare "It's definitely not xxxx".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There are very few pics from those games out there. This is only from a video game but it would presumably have been made using the official graphics. It shows the batterman. 

fetch?id=335595

Edit - of course it shows the wrong pants and wrong jersey Type (buttons vs laces) so who the f knows. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

All hats in 1997 were New Era.

And batterman logo doesn't mean it's a New Era cap.  Sports Specialties hats had batterman logos. 

Pretty sure it was the batterman logo.  MLB didn't allow too much else on a hat.  

Since you don't know what it is, I'm not sure how you possibly can declare "It's definitely not xxxx".

I can say it's definitely not New Era because I actually went to one of the games when they wore the hat. I remember sitting in the bleachers close to the Sox bullpen and trying to see what was on the back of Bill Haselman's cap. I could tell it wasn't the batterman logo. It was either letters or numbers.

You can find a video of one of the games here:

http://www.aparchive.com/search?startd=08%2F29%2F1997&endd=08%2F31%2F1997&allFilters=29%2F08%2F1997-31%2F08%2F1997%3ADate&query=braves&advsearchStartDateFilter=29%2F08%2F1997&advsearchEndDateFilter=31%2F08%2F1997&searchFilterHdSDFormat=All&searchFilterDigitized=All&searchFiltercolorFormat=All&searchFilteraspectratioFormat=All

There is a very good clip at the 36 second mark showing the back of the cap, it is definitely not the batterman logo, but I can't tell what it says. I went frame by frame and the clearest I can get is this, and I still can't tell what it says...

braves.png

It's a little fuzzy but as soon as I saw the picture I also read it as "1908".

The 1 and 0 are pretty clear.

White hat with cream jersey is a bad look.  I'm a fan of cream jerseys so I'd go with a cream hat - I woudl imagine the real ones probably looked cream after a couple of games anyway.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived