High School Logo Redesign

Coach_Drew

Working on a redesign of my High School Soccer Program's crest. We designed the old one eight years ago, taking the flying 'E' that the rest of the school uses and just incorporating it into crest form. Our mascot is the 'Engineers', not a common one by any means. In the past a train has been used as a logo, but we have had difficulty in finding a genuinely good looking train to use. With that said, we want to have the train aspect come across in some way.  

This image shows our old crest...
yCddVSD.png

This is the concept for the new logo...
0waIosO.png

Added the tracks to represent the mascot and train tracks that run all through our county.
The star is for the regional championship that both our boys and girls teams have won.
Looking to move away from the flying 'E' to a more clean look.

Not locked in on any of this, just looking for thoughts ideas and suggestions.

2 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

As a whole, that's a great looking crest. The blue tracks are a little hard to see but not a big problem, just take that hideous beveling off the star.

Agreed. I'd take the star off all together. It really adds nothing here.

At first glance the rails look more like ladders to me since they are vertical, but I can see why you positioned them this way since it'd be tough to get rails at a different perspective to fit within the logo. That would require a much more elaborate design. I'd also get rid of the star as others suggested. The 3D shades of gray in the star look very out of place next to the flat roundel below.

The train tracks would look better if they followed the same curve as the roundel. I also agree the star can be deleted. If you won a state championship and are using the star to signify that, then use a single color star with no 3D effects.

Totally agree with you guys. We were not crazy about the star, so it will be removed. We're also working on the tracks. Not only going to try to give it the same curve, but also a different design to give it a more distinct look. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something that does that without getting too messy and ruining it when it is scaled down to a smaller size. The other thing we aren't certain on at the moment is the font. We like it, we've just also considered going with a more modern look.

Thanks for the feedback, I welcome any suggestions.

It's getting better! Maybe thicken the black outline of the rail to give a little more definition between the rail and the ties.

Also, I am starting to see the BMW logo in your new roundel.

Have you thought about something like the inside of the new Columbus Crew roundel? Half is the checkerboard pattern (like your old crest) and I could see putting the EC over a diagonal train tracks on the other half where the Crew has diagonal stripes and the 96. Just something to think about. It might work.

The font is okay, but I would search all the free font websites to just try out others. I think you can find a better one that would interlock.

11 hours ago, Whitefoot said:

It's getting better! Maybe thicken the black outline of the rail to give a little more definition between the rail and the ties.

Also, I am starting to see the BMW logo in your new roundel.

Have you thought about something like the inside of the new Columbus Crew roundel? Half is the checkerboard pattern (like your old crest) and I could see putting the EC over a diagonal train tracks on the other half where the Crew has diagonal stripes and the 96. Just something to think about. It might work.

The font is okay, but I would search all the free font websites to just try out others. I think you can find a better one that would interlock.

Yeah, this was a rough draft of sorts on the tracks but definitely going to go in and sharpen it up and make it look good.
And you are totally right about the BMW logo, I had never thought of that. I love the Columbus Crew idea so I'll definitely play around with that idea. We had thought about doing something like that anyway using the diagonal checker (or whatever it's called) aspect on the Maryland flag.
I've been on Conrad's site looking at other fonts. I'd like something with a clean and distinct look but it's been tough to find the right look.
Still in search of a good looking interlock design. I'll keep working on it.

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

The first design was great! The only change needed is making the tracks assume the curve of the roundel, as someone else mentioned. Adding white highlights or black outlines on the tracks is entirely too distracting and unnecessary. Don't make it complicated or gimmicky.

Archived