Oldschoolvikings NFL Concepts - Added new Chargers, 12/21/16

oldschoolvikings

I’ve had an NFL Concept thread going for a few years now.  You can find it here;

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/95410-oldschoolvikings-nfl-concepts-new-packers-and-steelers-added-5316-home-road-alts-and-color-rush/?page=1

It started out as my ideal concepts division by division, but now it’s become sort of a junk drawer thread for any ideas that pop into my head… some just crazy ideas I want to get out and see what reaction I get. (For instance, my all-gradient Titans’ uniform.)  And, invariably, when I do post something weird just for fun, someone will jump in to say how much they’d hate it if a team actually did it.  And I think, yeah, me too.

Anyway, since that’s what’s happened to that thread (and, I’m sure, will continue to happen) I thought I’d start another NFL concepts thread for my one-time, absolute, definitive versions for all 32 teams.  In other words, if I was given complete control, with one and only one chance to put each team in what I consider their best look, all at the same time, this is what I’d do.

I’m designing one home, one road, one alternative/throwback, and one color rush uniform for each team. As usual, I’m limiting myself to NFL rules.  Which means only one helmet shell (although I’m occasionally changing decals/stripes), all non-throwback alts use current team colors, all throwbacks are based on actual historical uniforms (dates will be noted), and Color Rush uniforms are a single color from neck to toe (believe me, I wouldn’t do it if it weren’t the rules).  Also, Color Rush uniforms can use historical colors (example, royal blue for the Patriots).  Most of these are pretty conservative in terms of the amount of change.  About half fall into the category of what we call around here "tweaks", and very few are radical departures.  Also, I’ve refigured my template again… based somewhat on the new Nike Vapor Untouchable. At least for most of these… some are leftover from my last template.

Anyway, I’ll try to post them by division, and get them up in a timely fashion. As always, feedback is very much appreciated.  It’s even nice to know if you’re just looking.

Thanks.    

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Eagles 1979 Alt is beautiful...it should be the basis for the primary.  Those colors just look so good together.

I like that Giants color rush uni too...not that I'd want to see a lot of it, but given that color rush exists, I like it (and the gray decal).

Only two things truly bug me:  The Washington number font and their asymmetrical helmet stripe...if you want to match, I'd change up the pants and jersey rather than the helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^ I'm not the biggest fan of the redskins helmet stripe, and the number font isn't the best.

Also on the Eagles green and black pants I think it would look best if the colored stripe was in the middle of the white and grey.

Lastly I'm not sure about the grey on the giants color rush.

These are just small details though, these are all great and I hope all the other divisions end up this well! Can't wait for the Falcons!

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Only two things truly bug me:  The Washington number font and their asymmetrical helmet stripe...if you want to match, I'd change up the pants and jersey rather than the helmet.

The number font was just kind of a quick pick.  I wanted something similar to a traditional block, but with a unique feel.  I could certainly try a different one.

As for the helmet stripe... its a little weird, but I always wanted to see it.  I've done this same basic concept with the jersey and pants striping matching the helmet, like you suggest, and it looks really nice, but my only concern is that it looks a bit like a Packer rip. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The number font was just kind of a quick pick.  I wanted something similar to a traditional block, but with a unique feel.  I could certainly try a different one.

As for the helmet stripe... its a little weird, but I always wanted to see it.  I've done this same basic concept with the jersey and pants striping matching the helmet, like you suggest, and it looks really nice, but my only concern is that it looks a bit like a Packer rip. 

Do you happen to have or know where I can find that font

28 minutes ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Do you happen to have or know where I can find that font

I'm sure I got it from Conrad's uber-thread of fonts, pinned here in concepts.  I can't remember if I modified it, or just used it straight up.  When I get a chance, I'll look for the source.

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm sure I got it from Conrad's uber-thread of fonts, pinned here in concepts.  I can't remember if I modified it, or just used it straight up.  When I get a chance, I'll look for the source.

Ah! Got it (I think).  The Calgary Flames Alt. which i must have gotten from Conrad, because i can't imagine where else.

ff_2440231_full.jpg&w=245

Giants are good. The throwback is too weird for me but that's understandable. I like the color rush, but if I was changing the helmet decal for it I'd make it red as well.

As for the Eagles, I'm really glad you kept black in the scheme. All of those uniforms are good.

The Skins are alright, the only things that bug me are the helmet stripe and the number font. (Also, where are the white pants?!)

Thankfully the Cowboys use the same shades of blue and silver. The alternate feels like a wasted opportunity in my opinion, I feel like switching the alternate for the Color rush makes more sense.

On 6/11/2016 at 11:48 AM, ahowe6464 said:

. The Cowboys' alternate feels like a wasted opportunity in my opinion, I feel like switching the alternate for the Color rush makes more sense.

You know what?  You're absolutely right.  I don't know why I didn't see it.  I guess I was just stuck on the idea that the Cowboys would be the "white" Color Rush team.  But this works much better.

cowfinal_zpskaz4wtjb.png

Updating...

Here is everybody's favorite division, the NFC North.  Obviously, there is very little change needed for the Vikings, Packers, and Bears... all top tier NFL uniforms, although I did have fun working with their throwbacks and color rush looks. The Lions get a little more of a fix... this is a uniform I recently came up with and like quite a bit.  Feedback appreciated.

VIKEFINAL_zpsss8gufrc.pngbearfinal_zpsn2g2vs5u.pnggbfinal_zpswlxqt0kc.pnglionfinal_zpsipjuavs3.png

The Vikings, packers, and bears all relatively stayed the same which I like, and those are some great alts, especially the Vikings color rush. On the lions I really like the striping and the blue pants on the road, but the font looks like a cheap version of the Vikings. My only really problem with it is how thin it is, I think if you changed to a different front or even just widened that one it would be a big improvement. Great job though, keep it up!

Vikings:  I really like the yellow jersey, you know, if the NFL is going to do that "color rush" thing. I am not feeling the reverse horn though.  It's kinda jarring.  Also, I don't think gray would be the way to go on the color rush facemask.  I'd make it purple on the primary and this (or, if you want to leave the primaries totally as is, just keep with the black).

Packers: Given the few changes you are making to the primaries (outside of the team desperately in need of it), I don't quite get the sleeves on the white jersey.  I realize that, like the home, it has five stripes, but I think the current is a better match.  My gut reaction to the TNF blue shoulders was negative. But the more I look, the more I like it.

Lions.  Shows how unnecessary the black is.  I agree with the above about the Lions font, but I know you are working to an extent with what the team is using.  In terms of color balance, this is close to perfect (blue mask, blue pants on road, silver at home). Historically, I've favored white numbers for the darks, but this looks pretty good.

The Lions sleeves are kinda Viking-like.  But on the white, a better match would be either blue-white-gray or gray-white-blue.  I wonder if you did it this way to protect the gray from being lost in white (I wonder if the Vikes should do the same).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Vikings:  I really like the yellow jersey, you know, if the NFL is going to do that "color rush" thing. I am not feeling the reverse horn though.  It's kinda jarring.  Also, I don't think gray would be the way to go on the color rush facemask.  I'd make it purple on the primary and this (or, if you want to leave the primaries totally as is, just keep with the black).

Yeah, the reverse color horn is weird looking, but I liked the idea of reimagining some of the helmet decals to better match the Color Rush unis they go with.  I think so jarring mainly because we're so used to the usual one.

As for the facemask... well, my thought was the yellow Color Rush, obviously being based on the 70's and 80's road uniform, wouldn't look right with the black mask. And since I already used the gray for the Throwback (and since gray masks are  awesome!) I just used it there.

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Packers: I realize that, like the home, it has five stripes, but I think the current is a better match. 

I've never liked the stripes on the current Packer road.  I don't like the narrow white separations.  Plus, that's the stripe from the 60's.  And since both, as you pointed out, are 5 stripes, I thought I could get away with it.  They're even the same width spacing.

I'm an Eagles diehard, but the midnight green unis have really been my favorite for the last 20 years. I literally didn't own any Eagles paraphernalia as a kid/teenager in the '80s because I didn't like the kelly green. That said, I love your 1979 alternate Eagles uniforms -- beautiful look! Makes me nostalgic...

I'm not a big fan of the NFL's insistence on giving us awful "color rush" uniforms, but I don't mind some of them, like the Eagles...

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

13 hours ago, NY_CFL_fan said:

I'm an Eagles diehard, but the midnight green unis have really been my favorite for the last 20 years. I literally didn't own any Eagles paraphernalia as a kid/teenager in the '80s because I didn't like the kelly green. That said, I love your 1979 alternate Eagles uniforms -- beautiful look! Makes me nostalgic...

I'm not a big fan of the NFL's insistence on giving us awful "color rush" uniforms, but I don't mind some of them, like the Eagles...

I agree with you, the midnight green fits the Eagles better, kelly green is for the Jets and only the Jets

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I agree with you, the midnight green fits the Eagles better, kelly green is for the Jets and only the Jets

IMO, it's odd to see this much love for the Eagles' dull and depressing navy teal, um, I mean midnight green.  And for that matter, right now the Jets don't wear it either.  But don't worry, when I post my Jets concept, they'll be in kelly green.

I love Kelly green... pretty much any team wearing green would look better in that shade.  (Wait til you see my Seahawks concept.)

Archived