Story of the North American Basketball League (Hand-drawn)

PrimalCookie

A few days ago, I finally decided to join the boards after lurking for months. After seeing both the AFA and PHL, I was inspired to create a fictional basketball league. However, I have no Photoshop or Illustrator skills, so I am doing this hand-drawn with colored pencils. This league starts in 1947, and is the first organized basketball league since the war. I will not include logos in this series, and the main reason for that is because I am horrible at drawing animals. The inaugural 10 teams are: Cleveland Bulldogs, New York Knights, Washington Eagles, Pittsburgh Smokies, Richmond Steamers, Philadelphia Colonels, Boston Minutemen, Baltimore Admirals, Chicago Lions,and the Detroit Warriors. I am looking for feedback and criticism so I can not only show off my personal league, but get help on my drawing.

ExJworW.png

CLEVELAND BULLDOGS

I made the colors white, black, orange, and red. I kept a plain design, with BULLDOGS and CLEVELAND arched (well, now that I look at it more, it's not really arched). The home jersey is white with orange lettering and red trim, while the away jersey is orange with white lettering and also red trim. C&C appreciated!

image.jpeg

ExJworW.png

Pretty cool idea kinda messy though. You should really reconsider your choice of not drawing logos, you might be suprised with what you might create. (Looks like you have some sort of logo on the shorts though)

I have the same problem like you, absolutely no computer design experience either

Excellent!

Couple things, I think you might want to figure out a new name for Pittsburgh and Boston. 

Boston Bears, just draws too many parallels to the Bruins.  The Miners are the exact name of the Pittsburgh team in the AFA.

That being said, I like the choice of colors for Cleveland, and I feel it fits the city itself.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

13 hours ago, Darknes said:

Couple things, I think you might want to figure out a new name for Pittsburgh and Boston. 

Boston Bears, just draws too many parallels to the Bruins.  The Miners are the exact name of the Pittsburgh team in the AFA.

That being said, I like the choice of colors for Cleveland, and I feel it fits the city itself.

Yeah, I couldn't think of any other names for Pittsburgh. I didn't think about Bears being close to Bruins, I will change that. How about Pittsburgh Bobcats, and Boston Lobsters? (I know it's bad but yeah)

ExJworW.png

NEW YORK KNIGHTS

For the Knights, I had to make the colors black and gold (I live a few miles from UCF). I tried my hand at a logo, and I am pretty pleased with it, as I feel that it fits the time period well. However, should I inverse the colors so the armour is primarily black with gold accents, or should I keep it the way it is? Anyway, the home jersey is Lakers-ish with gold as the main color, with white lettering and black trim. The away uniform is black with white lettering and gold trim. I am currently working on the Eagles, and they should be up by tonight. Sorry for the bad image quality. C&C appreciated!

image.jpeg

ExJworW.png

WASHINGTON DC EAGLES

Apparently when I said "by tonight", I meant "in an hour or so". Anyway, the colors are red, white, and blue (are you really surprised), but tell me if you want me to change the colors to the brown, white, and yellow from the logo. Speaking of the logo, it is my best attempt at a swooping eagle, with an American flag behind it. On the home jersey, I have a primarily white jersey with a blue word mark and red numbers. The "A" in "EAGLES" is meant to be an abstract representation of a wing. Also on the shorts are wings. This may be a bit modern for the time period, but I can guarantee this look will last for a while (unless I change the colors). The away jersey is mainly blue with white numbers and red trim. WDC is on the front, mainly because "Washington DC" or just "Washington" wouldn't fit on the jersey. I will probably be done for today, but tomorrow I will make the Pittsburgh Smokies! (Thanks to Darknes for giving me the idea). C&C appreciated!

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

15 hours ago, Jvhn177 said:

I really like the idea, but that being said a lot of the jerseys are extremely modern for 1947

Ive been trying to avoid that, but the Eagles I tried to make modern. The others I tried to fit for the time period. 

ExJworW.png

Guest darkpiranha

Good start so far.  One thing that might help, as far as C&C goes, is in your first post, edit it to reflect some of what you're personally shooting for with this league.  Specifically as it matters here, what are your design goals?  I know you aren't concerned (yet!) about making great logos or learning Photoshop/Illustrator, but where do you hope to be by the end of this series?  Do you want to be unveiling better and better designs and to push yourself in the logo/branding/jersey design realm?  Or are you mostly just interested in having some fun and getting this stuff out in the world in whatever form it may be?  This will dictate the kind of engagement and feedback you receive.  If you WANT harsh/honest feedback, then ask for it as plainly as you can.  As you've probably seen from lurking, this is a great community, willing to help anyone who sincerely seeks and implements that feedback.   Secondly as far as the league itself, make it plain at the top if you're (at this time) concerned with being time-period-accurate.  As you've probably already seen, some of the feedback is indicating that your designs are a bit too modern for the eras.  If you don't really care about that level of authenticity, that's perfectly fine, you just need to let people know so they don't waste THEIR time giving you feedback you have no intention of using.  

Something that may make this is a lot easier for you is if you find and print out some blank basketball uniform templates, even if they are super-basic (Google can be your friend here).  Or take a little more time, get a ruler and a nice pen, and draw up a good template for your series.  Then print it out a million times and use that to draw on.  It'll save you time in the long run, make your series look uniform (pun halfway intended), and allow you to focus more on designing cool stuff than drawing up the empty uniforms each time.  

But welcome aboard, and great start!  

On June 19, 2016 at 0:28 AM, darkpiranha said:

Good start so far.  One thing that might help, as far as C&C goes, is in your first post, edit it to reflect some of what you're personally shooting for with this league.  Specifically as it matters here, what are your design goals?  I know you aren't concerned (yet!) about making great logos or learning Photoshop/Illustrator, but where do you hope to be by the end of this series?  Do you want to be unveiling better and better designs and to push yourself in the logo/branding/jersey design realm?  Or are you mostly just interested in having some fun and getting this stuff out in the world in whatever form it may be?  This will dictate the kind of engagement and feedback you receive.  If you WANT harsh/honest feedback, then ask for it as plainly as you can.  As you've probably seen from lurking, this is a great community, willing to help anyone who sincerely seeks and implements that feedback.   Secondly as far as the league itself, make it plain at the top if you're (at this time) concerned with being time-period-accurate.  As you've probably already seen, some of the feedback is indicating that your designs are a bit too modern for the eras.  If you don't really care about that level of authenticity, that's perfectly fine, you just need to let people know so they don't waste THEIR time giving you feedback you have no intention of using.  

Something that may make this is a lot easier for you is if you find and print out some blank basketball uniform templates, even if they are super-basic (Google can be your friend here).  Or take a little more time, get a ruler and a nice pen, and draw up a good template for your series.  Then print it out a million times and use that to draw on.  It'll save you time in the long run, make your series look uniform (pun halfway intended), and allow you to focus more on designing cool stuff than drawing up the empty uniforms each time.  

But welcome aboard, and great start!  

First off, thanks. Anyway, I am working to improve my designs as this series goes on. As for templates, I might try doing that and see how it turns out. I do want to try and be time-specific, but there's always that one team that jumps ahead in the trends (in this case, the Eagles, which I'm sure I will keep this look until at least the late '70s. On a sidenote, I can't wait for the '90s so I can roll out the craziest designs. I already have the 90s look for the Knights in my mind). I do want honest feedback, as I've gotten it from a lot of people when I show off my designs, so I'm kind of used to it. Sorry for no designs since the Eagles, I was and will be very busy the next few days, but I will put up as much as I can. The 1947 results are almost done, too. Smokies coming up soon (hopefully)!

ExJworW.png

PITTSBURGH SMOKIES

Sorry for the wait, the Smokies are finally here! The colors are white, grey, and black (to induce the connection to coal mining in Pittsburgh, and to make a small connection to my original name for the team, Pittsburgh Miners). The logo is a P that doubles as a smokestack. The home jersey is white with a black stripe down the left side, grey wordmarks, and black trim. The away jersey is black with a grey stripe down the left, white wordmarks, and grey trim. I'm not going to use a template printed out yet, although I probably will in the future. Sorry again for horrible image quality, I'm not sure why it's doing this. Anyway, C&C appreciated!

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

1947 Standings

The first season of the NABL tipped off with the Pittsburgh Smokies taking on the Philadelphia Colonels, in the first game of the 27-game season. In the spoiler is how the scheduling and playoff system works. When I find a good season simulator, I will use it, so I don't have records yet. I will provide scores for all the playoff games. (Plus, you get to see the drafts of Boston and Baltimore before I come up with the final version!)

Spoiler

The league starts out with 10 teams, so I created a 27-game season where each team plays each other 3 times. Home/away was random this year, (although I'm not actually simulating every game, that would take way too long) but next year it will be determined by this year's standings. The playoffs are and will be very small until 1956, when the league is big enough to have a normal bracket-style playoff. The way it works right now, it is a best-of-5 series in the semifinals, and also best-of-5 in the finals. Seeding: 1v3, 2v4 in semifinals, and then winner of those series in the finals. In 1956, the league will expand the playoff system to include a wild card single-game series, similar to the MLB's wild card system.

1. New York Knights   

2. Boston Minutemen 

3. Baltimore Admirals

4. Cleveland Bulldogs

5. Detroit Warriors

6. Philadelphia Colonels

7. Pittsburgh Smokies

8. Richmond Steamers

9. Washington DC Eagles

10. Chicago Lions

(Bold means made playoffs)

PLAYOFF SEMIFINALS: 

1. New York Knights vs 3. Baltimore Admirals

2. Boston Minutemen vs 4. Cleveland Bulldogs

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the MVP was Charles Wreath (NY)

ExJworW.png

1947 SEMIFINALS: NEW YORK KNIGHTS VS BALTIMORE ADMIRALS

Coming into this series, the Knights were heavy favorites, despite losing the season series to the Admirals. Game 1 was close until the final minutes, when the Knights brought home the win in front of a sold-out New York Colosseum. Game 2 was arguably the most exciting game ALL SEASON, when both sides were even at the end of regulation, 98-98. In the regular season, this game would end as a tie. However, this is the playoffs, so the teams enter a sort of cross between hockey shootouts and Super Smash Bros "sudden death". The game goes on as normal, except when one team scores, the other team has one possession to tie it up again. If the team does tie it up, the team that scored first gets another go at it. If the other team fails to score, the game is over and the team that scored wins. Baltimore won this game because of that rule. Game 3 was an absolute blowout, with the Admirals getting up 12-0 before the Knights scored. Coming into Game 4, the Knights knew they had to win to stay alive in the series. And...they did everything but win, as Baltimore heads to the Finals (in the 50s it will be named something, probably the Wreath Cup, because Charles Wreath won MVP this year).

image.jpg

ExJworW.png

Archived