App Startup Logo

pr17ch

Let me start off by saying that I'm very new to design. I've been working on an app. startup and I needed a logo.

I really wanted an R to be the main logo and wanted to incorporate a star somehow without being a rip off of the Rockstar games logo. I wanted to keep it simple but make a logo that can standalone even in black and white.

I am by no means an expert. I did these in a paint on a Macbook. I have no experience with photoshop or any graphic design programs.

I've always been a fan of the site and figured why not give it a go. I understand that this is very rough work but I'm just looking for some feedback on the general design of the logo and where I can improve. 

The app name is Ringers if that helps.

Which one is the best of the 4?

R.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.09.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.10.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 11.13.02 PM.png

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say your second option is the best choice at this stage. The R in the first logo looks a little too playful and childish, I think, sort of clashing styles between a straight-edged star and a curvy R. In my opinion, the other options are much stronger. Though the reason I would pick the second one is because the little space between the R and the star might suffer when being viewed at small sizes, especially for something like an app icon (if thats what you're doing). If you like the space between the R and the star then I would suggest to make it a little more noticeable or thicker. 

11 hours ago, alicejackson said:

Logo design that you created looks average.

<MOD EDIT>

Don't buy into this. You can make logos yourself that are unique, professional, and good-looking without resorting to some scam like this. Logo generators generally only produce templated, boring logos.

Regardless, I think what you have is a good start. In my opinion, number four is the best out of all of them. I think the font matches the star.

I also think that it'd help for you to match the sizes of the 'R' and the star, to give it some consistency.

I hope this goes well!

Something I forgot to add: I would put in a splash of color. Usually, something bright, like a pastel-ish rainbow, works well for apps. I think it gives it a bit more of an identity.

If you can't find anywhere in the logo to implement some color, I'd put it in somewhere on the app icon.

Thanks for the feedback!

I appreciate the constructive criticism and took some of your ideas into account while I was working on it again tonight.

Any thoughts on the updates I've made below? 

V1 has the star bigger than the R..

V2 has the star and R at the same height..

V3 I used a more condensed R to try and make the star/R closer in size width wise

VII.png

V3.png

V4.png

You're doing great for a newbie! Here are a couple of my suggestions:

• Do a LOT more iterations. It may seem tedious, but it will help you come up with the best possible product. Try changing the shape of the star, the typeface on the R. Scale, orientation, skew, other graphic design buzzwords. The more times you change it, the better designer you'll become. 
  • Though I like that shade of blue, I wouldn't start playing with color until you've picked a final logo. The general principle is that the logo should first work in black/white, then in color later. If you make too many changes on the color version now, it might be hard to translate to black/white.
  • If you're going to continue with the current shape, I would definitely suggest using a thicker R. If you were to scale this one down to the size of an app icon, It would start to get pretty small.

Keep up the good work.

So help me understand why you want to have a star in your logo?

No matter how you lay it out, an "R" and a Star, screams Rockstar.

Why not some sort of bell, a desk bell as the top f the "R", of a Fire Alarm bell like these:

(obviously, the desk bell would need to be re-drawn, this is clipart I used in the interest of time).

Ringer 2.jpg           Ringer Logo1.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• 4 weeks later...

Archived