8BW14

8BW14's MLB Redesign: Portland Athletics and Seattle Mariners

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

 

Got an update to the Cubs road alternate uniform, with different sleeve stripes based on the road jersey from the 80's. Thanks for taking a look. stay tuned for the St Louis Cardinals later today.

 

5919a176a4b83_chicagocubspresentation2.png.79e5fc1d4a49a5a4296a6dcfeff93018.png

Much better! I kind of wish you had kept the '80s neckline piping too, but this is still an improvement. 

For the Pirates, I once again failed to notice the yellow jersey is for batting practice. It just looked strange paired with gray pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Much better! I kind of wish you had kept the '80s neckline piping too, but this is still an improvement. 

For the Pirates, I once again failed to notice the yellow jersey is for batting practice. It just looked strange paired with gray pants. 

I think it would look better with the neck piping, too. Looking at it now it looks like it's missing the neck striping.

 

As for the Pirates, I definitely see what you're saying. The yellow does look odd paired with the gray pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new team on tap for today is the St Louis Cardinals. I'm a little biased as a Cardinals fan, but I think the Cardinals have some pretty great uniforms anyway, but they took a huge hit when they introduced the cream alt and demoted the blue caps. My solution was a bit of a fauxback look. I brought the blue caps back on the home and road, added the yellow eyes back to the bird logos and brought back the pant stripe, just like the 1967 uniforms. I also modernized the Sluggerbird logo and used it as a sleeve patch. I've always been a fan of the home Sunday alt cap with the Bird-on-Bat, but now the Sunday cap is all red like the current BP cap. I threw it back a little bit with the pullover style Batting Practice/Spring Training jersey based on the 80's uniforms and the red STL cap makes its appearance with the BP jersey.

591aec2c16fa6_stlouiscardinalspresentation.png.fbb6560713ac915ab95719d5476716af.png

591aec2a246df_stlouiscardinalspresentation2.png.3bb5a58b4964138113f80dc8ca045752.png

 

Wel, there's the Cardinals. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and  C&C is always appreciated.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This hasn't been moving along as quickly as I thought it would, real life comes first I guess. Finally, though, I have time to get the last team in the NL Central posted. My Cincinnati Reds concept is pretty straight forward, I dropped the black and updated the logo to feature the Reds' custom font. 

5921a61e91330_cincinnatiredspresentation.png.57ff4995d2ce12d89643d9df99e1ca96.png

5921a61c4b3ab_cincinnatiredspresentation2.png.39b99324b4b0770bfd853d469367477e.png

 

I added some old-school piping that crosses over itself at the collar and added sock stripes that mimic the stripes on Mr. Redlegs' cap. Mr. Redlegs is featured as a sleeve patch as well as on the Batting Practice/Spring Training Caps. I chose to go with a vest alternate uniform and a white cap that was inspired by historical Reds looks. The Batting Practice/Spring Training jersey is a simple red jersey with the REDS script across the front.

 

That's it for the NL Central, thanks for taking a look and I would appreciate some feedback and C&C. Hopefully some updates and the first of the NL East will be posted later today. Thanks again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on the Reds. Looking forward to the start of the NL East!

Just curious, have you finished any of the AL, as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2017 at 9:48 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice job on the Reds. Looking forward to the start of the NL East!

Just curious, have you finished any of the AL, as well?

I have a few done but the AL isn't 100% finished. Thanks for the feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 8BW14 said:

I have a few done but the AL isn't 100% finished. Thanks for the feedback

 

Good to hear. Looking forward to the NL East!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've got the first team from the NL East ready to post today, the Philadelphia Phillies. IMO, the Phillies are stuck in the 90's with their uniforms everything from the bubbly numbers and script, to the huge sleeve cuffs- is stale for them, especially when they have some great historical looks to draw some inspiration from. The first thing for the Phillies was change the primary logo. My new logo features the classic Phillies script over the Liberty Bell. I also adjusted the color scheme. The red has returned to a deeper cherry red which is unique to baseball, especially paired with royal blue. The script and cap monogram are tweaked versions of the marks used in the 50's and 60's. The home uniform has the classic pinstripes and single color numbers with a liberty bell sleeve patch. The road uniform is basically a gray version of the current cream alt, paired with a cherry red cap.

59239874c28ee_philadelphiaphilliespresentation.png.c2ff024bae9083eec77cfb0d73f5edc2.png

 

The new alternate uniform is cream and is paired with an alternate blue-billed cap. On the Batting Practice/Spring Training uniform, the cap is blue, featuring the Liberty Bell alternate logo and the jersey is cherry red with white numbers/script.

59239876959b0_philadelphiaphilliespresentation2.png.8881f425803ce061fe2a822046d815fa.png

 

 

Once again, thanks for taking a look and feedback is always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this take on the Phils, however, I feel you need a lighter shade of blue to contrast better with the darker red. You could lighten up the shade you used, or go full retro and use powder blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2017 at 9:59 AM, coco1997 said:

I like this take on the Phils, however, I feel you need a lighter shade of blue to contrast better with the darker red. You could lighten up the shade you used, or go full retro and use powder blue.

You're right. I could see how that could be an issue. A lighter blue could definitely help. Thanks for keeping up with this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 8BW14 said:

You're right. I could see how that could be an issue. A lighter blue could definitely help. Thanks for keeping up with this thread.

 

My pleasure! I look forward to seeing future teams. 

 

P.S. Any plans to go back and add that neckline piping to the Cubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

 

My pleasure! I look forward to seeing future teams. 

 

P.S. Any plans to go back and add that neckline piping to the Cubs?

Ask and you shall receive. I've got a Cubs update, the Phillies and a new NL East team to present.

5925ae4296f79_chicagocubspresentation2.png.d9c202a03a9c82c0b11dac7e4dd42605.png

I decided to go full retro fauxback here with a big matching pants stripe and a pullover jersey on the 80's inspired alt, thanks to Coco1997, for the suggestion.

 

Next, I have an update to the Phillies with a lighter, not-quite-powder blue and I think it works really well.

5925ae4072f20_philadelphiaphilliespresentation.png.a14b1df1bbb2c8f3c89823ff92748d15.png

5925ae3e9eaa5_philadelphiaphilliespresentation2.png.00724fdc46bd051eba9e11a692cfedc8.png

 

Lastly, I've got the Atlanta Braves, who have some of the best home and away uniforms in the league. My major problem with the Braves is the crappy alternate uniforms and the over-abundance of piping competing with the large, detailed chest wordmark and tomahawk. I also brought back the red bill for the road cap and vertically arched NOB.

5925ae3b060cc_atlantabravespresentation.png.ad1e73a164271932cec1af18338c75bc.png

5925ae3ce1397_atlantabravespresentation2.png.55ed3fab68820d5ba634ed285b1f87c0.png

I removed the outermost outline on the tomahawk so it matches the wordmark better and changed the placket piping to collar piping only, which I think helps clean up the front of the jerseys quite a bit. The alternate uniform features the tomahawk A on the chest as well as the cap and the Batting Practice/Spring Training jersey is where I decided to have some fun. I brought back the classic sleeve feathers, which are such a unique feature that I couldn't leave them out all together. The cap also features the lower case "a" logo from the same era.

 

As always, I'd love to get some feedback and C&C. Thanks for taking a look.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work, all around. The updated Cubs road jersey looks as good as I hoped it would, and the lighter blue on the Phils' unis is much more effective. I also love everything you've done with Atlanta, especially the BP jersey--although it might be more appropriate if you used a pullover template.

 

Looking forward to the rest of the NL East!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random teams I felt like commenting on...

 

Padres ("Brown only"): I think you are really close, but I'd like to see more integration of the brown and blue.  I think they look great together, but despite making them both key team colors, you seem to be keeping them apart on the uniforms.  Blue outlines on number and wordmark would make this great (and an easy winner over the second option with the gold).

 

Pirates: Nice.  I really like the white-free alts, though I don't think I'd prefer a yellow hat to go with that yellow uniform.

 

Brewers: It would still be one of my least-favorite uniforms in MLB, but an upgrade from the current look.  I don't think the Wisconsin logo looks good on a hat or on the chest.  I could see it as a sleeve patch (though I really like the patch you designed).

 

Cards: I think the red hat needs to be the home primary. And I say that as a HUGE fan of their blue hat...I'd go with the blue hat (sans red bill) on the road.

 

Phillies: Similar comment to the Padres.  I have always liked the idea of the Phillies incorporating some light blue (A bit lighter than this).  Some outlining of numbers/wordmark would go a long way to better color balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Random teams I felt like commenting on...

 

Padres ("Brown only"): I think you are really close, but I'd like to see more integration of the brown and blue.  I think they look great together, but despite making them both key team colors, you seem to be keeping them apart on the uniforms.  Blue outlines on number and wordmark would make this great (and an easy winner over the second option with the gold).

 

Pirates: Nice.  I really like the white-free alts, though I don't think I'd prefer a yellow hat to go with that yellow uniform.

 

Brewers: It would still be one of my least-favorite uniforms in MLB, but an upgrade from the current look.  I don't think the Wisconsin logo looks good on a hat or on the chest.  I could see it as a sleeve patch (though I really like the patch you designed).

 

Cards: I think the red hat needs to be the home primary. And I say that as a HUGE fan of their blue hat...I'd go with the blue hat (sans red bill) on the road.

 

Phillies: Similar comment to the Padres.  I have always liked the idea of the Phillies incorporating some light blue (A bit lighter than this).  Some outlining of numbers/wordmark would go a long way to better color balance.

Padres: I tend to agree with you. I really want the brown to work on it's own but I think you're right. It needs some more blue.

 

Pirates: I agree with the sentiment about the yellow cap, it doesn't feel right and I just haven't gotten around to updating it yet. The black cap with the yellow bill would probably do the trick.

 

Brewers: What about it makes it one of your least favorite? I don't like the ball glove logo at all and I think there is too much going on with the current scripts and the colors aren't particularly exciting when the gold isn't actually metallic. Would royal blue make this better?

 

Cardinals: I'm torn on using the red cap at home. I like it but I've found myself being drawn to the blue cap with the red bill. I definitely understand where you're coming from, though. I think maybe I've just gotten sick of seeing the red cap on the road so I don't want to see it at all.

 

Phillies: outlines couldn't hurt the color balance, I suppose, and it would probably help with legibility on the pinstripes to boot.

 

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

Padres: I tend to agree with you. I really want the brown to work on it's own but I think you're right. It needs some more blue.

 

Pirates: I agree with the sentiment about the yellow cap, it doesn't feel right and I just haven't gotten around to updating it yet. The black cap with the yellow bill would probably do the trick.

 

Brewers: What about it makes it one of your least favorite? I don't like the ball glove logo at all and I think there is too much going on with the current scripts and the colors aren't particularly exciting when the gold isn't actually metallic. Would royal blue make this better?

 

Cardinals: I'm torn on using the red cap at home. I like it but I've found myself being drawn to the blue cap with the red bill. I definitely understand where you're coming from, though. I think maybe I've just gotten sick of seeing the red cap on the road so I don't want to see it at all.

 

Phillies: outlines couldn't hurt the color balance, I suppose, and it would probably help with legibility on the pinstripes to boot.

 

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

For the Brewers, I realize that while I acknowledged the upgrade my statement was kinda...jackassy.

 

So let's see whether I even believe it by listing what I hate about the current look:

  • The wheat underline on the "M":  IMPROVED
  • The number font: IMPROVED
  • The drab colors:
    • Home: NOT IMPROVED.  I think the domination of the yellow lacks a bit of contrast against the off-white jersey.  The same problem may exist on a white jersey, too.  My gut reaction was to flip the blue and yellow colors on the script and number, but I suppose the outline would show up poorly.  I'd still give it a shot.
    • Road/Alts: PUSH.  I think I'd still prefer blue-on-yellow on the gray road jersey, though it's not as egregious there.
  • Wordmark: Slightly improved: As I understand it, the short tail on the existing uniform prevents it from crossing the button area.  You use a short wordmark here, but it crosses.  That said, I'd just go with a long one.  While I hate the loopy letters on the current script, I struggle with this one...it's partly the tail.  Also, for some reason, the road wordmark immediately reminded me of Milwaukee Tool.  Of course with the exception of the tail at the beginning of the "M," it's not that close.  I think the very sharp tail reminded me a bit of a bolt.  I think the main thing is the short tail (and maybe the way the "bottom" is so close to the middle.  I guess It's like the Twins underline, but connected).  I could also argue that the "M" does not go with the rest of the letters on the wordmarks.  It's a little more rigid, while the rest is curvey, overall. 

I think a big thing is that I don't think the current color scheme (which you are fairly close to) gives you much to work with.  Both royal and yellow and the blue/gold/green schemes of the past are far better.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 11:43 PM, OnWis97 said:

For the Brewers, I realize that while I acknowledged the upgrade my statement was kinda...jackassy.

 

So let's see whether I even believe it by listing what I hate about the current look:

  • The wheat underline on the "M":  IMPROVED
  • The number font: IMPROVED
  • The drab colors:
    • Home: NOT IMPROVED.  I think the domination of the yellow lacks a bit of contrast against the off-white jersey.  The same problem may exist on a white jersey, too.  My gut reaction was to flip the blue and yellow colors on the script and number, but I suppose the outline would show up poorly.  I'd still give it a shot.
    • Road/Alts: PUSH.  I think I'd still prefer blue-on-yellow on the gray road jersey, though it's not as egregious there.
  • Wordmark: Slightly improved: As I understand it, the short tail on the existing uniform prevents it from crossing the button area.  You use a short wordmark here, but it crosses.  That said, I'd just go with a long one.  While I hate the loopy letters on the current script, I struggle with this one...it's partly the tail.  Also, for some reason, the road wordmark immediately reminded me of Milwaukee Tool.  Of course with the exception of the tail at the beginning of the "M," it's not that close.  I think the very sharp tail reminded me a bit of a bolt.  I think the main thing is the short tail (and maybe the way the "bottom" is so close to the middle.  I guess It's like the Twins underline, but connected).  I could also argue that the "M" does not go with the rest of the letters on the wordmarks.  It's a little more rigid, while the rest is curvey, overall. 

I think a big thing is that I don't think the current color scheme (which you are fairly close to) gives you much to work with.  Both royal and yellow and the blue/gold/green schemes of the past are far better.

 

 

 

I didn't get jackassy from your post, it was just an honest opinion and I appreciate that. I was just curious as to why you felt that way. all if your gripes are legitimate gripes, I hadn't even noticed the similarity of the M in the script before you pointed it out and I own Milwaukee tools. Anyway, thanks for the rundown, it definitely has be re-assessing some aspects of my Brewers concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Washington Nationals, a team that doesn't  look bad at all, but their current look does have way too many alternate uniforms and just doesn't feel right. I totally get that they were going for a historical look with the loopy "Walgreen's"  W and very traditional uniforms. I do think they were onto something with their original uniforms after moving from Montreal, so I borrowed a lot of design ques from those uniforms as well as the old block W logo used by Washington baseball teams of the past. My Nationals concept uses Navy, Red and Gold with minimal white in the uniforms. The primary logo and cap logo is inspired by the old W logo used by Washington baseball teams, with a nod to the Washington Monument. The home uniform is predominately red accented and the road uniform is predominately blue. the sleeve and pants striping is a tri-colored gold, red, blue pattern, which is featured on every uniform. I also brought back a DC logo which is featured on the sleeve as well as the BP/Spring Training cap.

59281df40f9bb_washingtonnationalspresentation.png.fedd1c5816f5f174b93b1b472cab6de3.png

59281df5baf55_washingtonnationalspresentation2.png.6b1d74262a6a6d441611786bc122df4f.png 

Again, thanks for taking some time to have a look and I always appreciate your feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.