Vintage Getty, SI and other NFL photos

9 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Officially, no - but black players were still a distinct minority up until the 1970s. Many teams had unofficial quotas limiting the number of black players, and they were usually confined to certain positions (defensive back, running back, receiver).

The AFL also had distinctly more black players than the NFL, so there's a spike in the number of black NFL players after the merger.

As with baseball, certain teams were more welcoming of black players than others. 

Given Green Bay’s relative whiteness, it’s ironic that the Packers were one of those. But Vince Lombardi was truly a man ahead of his time, had a great empathy for the struggle of others, and was very welcoming of both black and gay players on his teams.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Here's a weird one...

We've all seen the old Broncos helmet a bunch of times;

spacer.png

But check out this blue horse version...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was the subject of a years-long conversation on Uni Watch.  The decal was only worn for a couple games before it was replaced with the white version. We didn’t have color photos of those games until recently, and all the sources said that bronco logo was brown.

There was one reader who remembered watching the games as a kid, and who insisted for literally years that all the databases and websites and sources were wrong. The bronco was blue.

Finally somebody got around to scanning these photos and voila.  Don Quixote got his windmill. 😁 That always makes me happy when I see these photos. 

Where are they playing that there's a big wall right behind the players and not fans?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yup, the New York Titans were the home team there before they moved out to Shea and became the Jets.

The Polo Grounds was an odd building and there don't seem to be many color photos of it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived