- I still haven't come around to getting any good at doing jersey concepts via templates so I decided to do my project on NHL '18.

- Due to the limited amounts of jersey styles, not all of these designs are 100% how I would have them if I had complete control over those aspects.

- I have things pretty close to where I'd like them, and I will leave notes explaining any instance in which I would have liked something a bit different.

- I didn't do every team in the league, only those that I felt had really bad jersey layouts, or needed a color change / tweak.

- I tried to eliminate white from most of the uniforms because I wanted to do things a bit different and white just seems like too easy of a security blanket to use.

- Teams are in alphabetical order

- - - - -

ANAHEIM DUCKS

(Edited 4/29/18)

* Lightened the green / changed alternate to have more orange in it.

* Made the lines thinner so that the away jersey wouldn't have a different thickness compared to the other two.

(Edited 5/1/18)

* Gave the alternate green in the glove, and on the helmet for the manufacturer name.

(Edited 5/4/18)

* Added white.

* Due to adding white, I darkened the green.

NOTES:

- I have seen at least 2, maybe more concepts for the Ducks that have used green and orange. I tried to run with that, and create a new identity for Anaheim.

PROBLEMS DUE TO THE LACK OF OPTIONS IN THE GAME:

- The teams original logo is not available to use in customization, so I wasn't able to play around with that and was forced to use their current "Webbed D".

- I tried implementing white into the Home and Alternate, but just couldn't really find the right fit. This may have been due to the limited jersey styles, and I couldn't quite get the thickness of the white lines that I wanted.

w7bkv6.png11t5x7d.png2i1p01e.png

ARIZONA COYOTES

(Edited 5/1/18)

* Added more of the dark red to the home with thin lines.

* Gave the alternate a logo with the sand colored outline.

(Edited 5/4/18)

* Added white.

NOTES:

- I wanted to go with the sand color as the primary to give the Coyotes a unique look and go outside the norm. Some will probably argue that the alternate should be the home, but I like it this way.

- As with the Ducks, the teams original logo (the standing coyote) isn't available to customize, but I actually think the current logo fits nice with the way the jersey is set up here.

2wd7xqb.png1ie8n5.png212br80.png

BUFFALO SABRES

NOTES:

- For the Sabres, I wanted to create a new identity with the color scheme, while using the original logo to keep the team grounded in their history. 

- The colors of the "San Diego Rampage" were used. Dark blue, grey, and white.

1zcfrww.png316ai38.png2uqp1s7.png

CALGARY FLAMES

NOTES:

- I brightened the red, and mellowed the yellow.....

- The home jersey now features a yellow C

- I wanted to alter the Flames because I hate the fact that they have now gone with a black C, and while I love the original jersey design and colors from the 80's (and before via the Atlanta Flames) through early 90's... I wanted to give my own spin on this classic look with different shades of the teams colors.

68srcw.png2krcw1.png

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

NOTES:

- I'm not a fan of the Blue Jackets current logo, jersey or color scheme (becoming the 5th team in the league to use red, white and blue), but since NHL 18 has this jersey (the old Might Ducks layout?) I thought it would fit their logo pretty well.

- I smoothed out the logo some, trying to make it a little better. Maybe it's better? It's definitely different than before.

- There is only the one logo to chose from, and none of the custom logos made for a good Blue Jackets theme. Would have loved to use the cannon logo, but at the same time, that one wouldn't go so great with the jersey style.

(Edited 5/4/18)

* Revamped the entire jersey with more white on the home, thickened the lines on away to match.

* Lightened the blue.

wr9u.png33ucok7.png

FLORIDA PANTHERS

NOTES:

- Not a fan of the new 'Montreal-type' jerseys they went with, so I started messing around and found a style that I really liked.

- I wanted to switch over to orange for the Panthers because well.... Florida Oranges!

- I may go back and swap out the orange for the red that they use, I mean the Islanders and Oilers already use blue and orange,  but I couldn't help myself here, I just love the shades I used, could just be me though.

eb3bqb.png2rmnt03.pngr1kec1.png

LOS ANGELES KINGS

NOTES:

- Pretty obvious here that I implemented purple back into the color scheme and changed the jersey style from the current one the team uses.

2j84fa.png14t6j3t.pngnygsy8.png

MINNESOTA WILD

NOTES:

- Nothing to really say except since I don't really like the Wild's new "Montreal Style" jersey, I tried to give them a better, more balanced look.

a2x307.png2zow1z8.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

NOTES:

- There is just something about the Devil's uniforms that I don't like so I wanted to put my spin on things.

- I went with the white logo on the home because I feel it balances out the entire uniform the way I have it set up... I'm not sure how this is going to go over though.

- The alternate jersey feature a brighter red than the home and away. This jersey went over really well with Devil's fans on the Facebook hockey group I'm a part of.

- Back to the logo. I went with the white logo because of the balance. I wanted to have a thicker outline around the RED devil at first, but the game just didn't allow it. The outline that they do allow is just way too thin, and I couldn't find any look that was balanced.

33yl3wk.png2h7jsk8.png1087dki.png

OTTAWA SENATORS

NOTES:

- I wanted to go for a look that would say the Senators are trying to be taken seriously from here on out, and want a brand refresh. I also didn't want to have more bright colored red (New Jersey, Calgary, Carolina, Detroit, Montreal, Chicago already have that *I left out Florida and Washington, because in my universe I have changed their colors), so I decided to go with a black home, and have the dark red as an alternate.

- I chose the "O" logo because I felt it completed the overall look that I was going for.

w0ntpk.png2vk1f2o.png308l7js.png

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

NOTES:

- I'm a Flyers fan, and while I respect the fact that the team likes to pay homage to the old school Flyer teams, and manage to keep their jersey styles in that same sort of tradition... I don't think they use nearly enough black, especially for a team that the local media and fan-base call by one of their nicknames "the orange and black". Here is my take on what I would personally like to see...

- I love the alternate I came up with, but I can also see if it doesn't go over too well due to the alternation of the logo.

- I also changed the shade of orange, it's now less "traffic cone orange"...28tc5me.pngiog31t.pngf4r29t.png

SAN JOSE SHARKS

NOTES:

- For the Sharks look, I went outside the norm here. For me, I love it. For probably most traditional people, they will probably hate it.

- The jersey now becomes the background of the uniform, and the pants, gloves, helmet, and some of the logo become the focal point of the entire thing. This might bring jersey sales down, but I'm sure they could come up with some way to counter-balance that....

fve5v9.png9bepvr.png

ST. LOUIS BLUES

NOTES:

- I really was just messing around with different combinations of blue and yellow, and this is what I settled on. I'm not a fan of the real life blues jersey, and I feel that these ones compliment the logo better, but I could be wrong.

v2r3fn.png257g4rl.png2wcpco1.png

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

NOTES:

- I wanted to get the Lightning away from the (pretty much) same shade of blue as the Maple Leafs. Not to mention they both only use blue and white.

- Personally, the the blue might seem too "soft", but the way it's displayed in the game, it really pops.

- I kept the jerseys as close to the same exact ones they real club uses.

2hreowp.png1zqsshv.png1zgeszl.png

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

NOTES:

- Added a little more white to the uniform, and had put green around the logo, plus switched the jersey up a bit.

- I kept trying the other logos and dark blue pants but ultimately decided this setup looked the best.

1532q75.png2ag6l34.png

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

NOTES:

- Got rid of the overused red white and blue scheme and took the Capitals back to the days of when they had blue and gold.

- The "Weagle" didn't look right, and although the flying eagle has its flaws (only one leg) it still evokes movement and looks the best out of the game-supplied logos. 

2pr9vky.pngzno2lg.png

I think it's a start, but it needs some tweaking. The logo needs to have some white on it, the little stripe on the bottom of the D and the outline should be white to keep it from getting lost on the home jersey. I would also change the color of the D on the Alt jersey, not enough contrast. The green should be brighter too, a dark green is good, but this is too close to black IMO. The home jerseys need white to break it up some. Number outlines and a yoke outline would be a good start if you don't want to/ dont like having the orange stripes with white. 

Also, you might get some grief on here for not "making them yourself" and instead using NHL 18 to make them. It doesn't bother me, because I like seeing what other people come up with in the game and it gives me ideas for my own game, but just be prepared for that.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, GDLions said:

I think it's a start, but it needs some tweaking. The logo needs to have some white on it, the little stripe on the bottom of the D and the outline should be white to keep it from getting lost on the home jersey. I would also change the color of the D on the Alt jersey, not enough contrast. The green should be brighter too, a dark green is good, but this is too close to black IMO. The home jerseys need white to break it up some. Number outlines and a yoke outline would be a good start if you don't want to/ dont like having the orange stripes with white. 

Also, you might get some grief on here for not "making them yourself" and instead using NHL 18 to make them. It doesn't bother me, because I like seeing what other people come up with in the game and it gives me ideas for my own game, but just be prepared for that.

I took your advice and changed the green to a lighter shade, but I'd like to stick with not using white, I wanted to try my best with each team to use white as a last resort.

Also with the alternate jersey..... there isn't much I can do to make their primary logo contrast with the orange (changing the webbed foot to green just didn't look right) and if I could use the original duck mask logo for this, I'd love to. But since I can't, them I'm afraid I'll just have to take it as a loss and keep it as is.

The ducks look better with the lighter green for sure. The logo on the home still gets a little lost though, maybe try an orange outline if you are trying to stay away from white. Also I think the Alt should habe green gloves and helmet. It would make for more contrast and would be so harsh on the eyes. 

Arizona is nice, don't know how the sand jersey would stand as a home set. Might have to see some color vs color games, which is fine. I personally still like a little bit of white or black to break it up a bit, but that just my preference. I think I'd like to see some of the sand color on the away set though.

I actually really like buffalo, their current look is pretty classic, but this is a solid look. Couple little things I would change though. I think the home set needs blue helmet and gloves and the away set needs blue pants and maybe shoulder logos just to add a touch more blue to it. Other than that they look nice! 

I'm excited to see what other teams you do.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:24 AM, GDLions said:

The ducks look better with the lighter green for sure. The logo on the home still gets a little lost though, maybe try an orange outline if you are trying to stay away from white. Also I think the Alt should habe green gloves and helmet. It would make for more contrast and would be so harsh on the eyes. 

Arizona is nice, don't know how the sand jersey would stand as a home set. Might have to see some color vs color games, which is fine. I personally still like a little bit of white or black to break it up a bit, but that just my preference. I think I'd like to see some of the sand color on the away set though.

I actually really like buffalo, their current look is pretty classic, but this is a solid look. Couple little things I would change though. I think the home set needs blue helmet and gloves and the away set needs blue pants and maybe shoulder logos just to add a touch more blue to it. Other than that they look nice! 

I'm excited to see what other teams you do.

Well I have some new teams up!

I tried each and everyone of your suggestions....

- The orange line around the webbed "D" took away the overall boldness of the other lines in my eyes.

- I put green gloves and helmet on the alternate, but it just didn't have that pop anymore that I want to put forth with it being an alternate or "special occasion" jersey, it just took some wind out of the sails for me.

- When I switched the Sabres helmet and gloves to blue, it really just started to feel like the Maple Leafs to me. I feel like the grey helps the overall look stand out from the pack more.

- I do agree that the away set needs blue pants.... The thing with that is, from what I found through searching is teams use the same color pants for home and away, so that kind of ruined that for me because I based all my uniforms on that principle.

- I did add elements of the dark red to the Arizona home, and I added more sand color to the away.

Trust me, I understand completely where you're coming from with the things you pointed out, and I tried them, so I greatly appreciate your input.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

One question: why did you eliminate blue from the Blue Jackets' color scheme?

I didn't. I think it's a case of my tv showing different shades of colors than my computer. On the tv, that is a dark blue. I'm assuming it looks black to you? If that's the case, I will lighten it up tomorrow.

I understand man, I just give my opinion, it's your concepts do what you want ya know ☺. I mean if your doing these more for fun than realism than it's fine, most of my suggestions were just from the perspective of trying to make them more realistic. That being said I will try to give C&C based on them being more for fun.

Calgary is nice, pretty simple, but nice. Maybe add a red yoke to the away set?

Columbus is actually really good. That jersey style really works with that logo and adds a lot more red which is nice.

Florida is by far my favorite. The gold and orange actually work pretty well together. It's clean and has good color balance. I wouldn't worry about there being too many blue and orange teams. These don't look anything like those other teams. Good work on these ones man.

Also I really like where you added the manufacture name on the glove and I think you should do that for every team.

2 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I feel like every jersey is missing something 

Most likely white coloring. I wanted to try my best to stay away from white but it seems that my personal taste doesn't agree with others in this situation. I'm going to work on different versions that include white and see how it goes over.

White will make them look more realistic for sure, but if you don't like the white at all or are just trying not to use it as like a challenge then maybe try a color rush NHL ya know. Just a suggestion. I've like the series so far though, keep it up!

On 5/2/2018 at 2:10 PM, GDLions said:

White will make them look more realistic for sure, but if you don't like the white at all or are just trying not to use it as like a challenge then maybe try a color rush NHL ya know. Just a suggestion. I've like the series so far though, keep it up!

I've updated teams with the addition of white, and I can finally say... they look better to me now.

Also uploaded the rest of the teams that I have done in the game.

I may go and do more, but for now this is it. Definitely looking forward to some advice or ideas from people willing to help out!

I think Columbus has become my favorite, and that's saying a lot since I'm tired of the red, white and blue color schemes in hockey and other sports.

• 2 months later...

Archived