Fixing the NCAA (at least the 4 big sports)

waj287

I don't know if anyone cares about this, but to me, the NCAA is very screwed up to me. Well, at least what I consider the Big 4 sports (football, basketball, hockey, and baseball).

With that in mind, I've decided to overhaul everything in the NCAA pertaining to these sports - regular season and playoffs.

-FOOTBALL-

This is probably the sport that will get the most overhaul. 

-REGULAR SEASON-

• 12-game season
  • 8 conference games
    • Each team rotates between teams, stadiums, and divisions over the years. For example:
      • In 2015, Alabama would play divisional games against A&M, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State. The A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss games would be at home, and the other 3 would be away. Two games would be held against opposite-division opponents: Missouri and Tennessee. The Mizzou game is at home.
      • In 2016, the schedule would be reversed. Every game that was a home game the last year is now an away, and vice versa.
      • In 2017, the divisional schedule would be identical to that in 2015, but the non-division opponents would be South Carolina and Kentucky. SC game is at home
      • 2018--same thing. The Kentucky game is at home now.
      • Throughout the next 4 years, the entire East Division is now covered, and the cycle would reset in 2022 when they play Georgia (the last team in this cycle) and Missouri (the first team in this cycle).
      • Opposite-division cycles are decided on by the conference.
  • 4 out-of conference games
    • Every conference has a "priority" list - a list of conferences that will be first in line to host games against the conference.
    • The SEC priority list:
      • Big Ten
      • Pac-12
      • Big 12
      • ACC
      • American
      • Mountain West
      • C-USA
      • MAC
      • Sun Belt
    • This means that if this started beginning in 2018, then Alabama would play more Big Ten games in the first year.
      • 3 games against the conference at the top of the list (examples: Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin)
      • 1 game against the conference next on the list (example: Stanford)
      • Out of conference games do not require home and home series

With all these rules in mind, the Alabama 2018 schedule would be:

@ Texas A&M

Auburn

@ LSU

Arkansas

@ Ole Miss

Mississippi State

@ South Carolina

Kentucky

Michigan

@ Nebraska

@ Wisconsin

Stanford

Sound good?

-PLAYOFFS-

Okay, this is where things may get controversial. I am dramatically upscaling the importance of polls.

While the AP and Coaches' polls will still remain, they will be more of a ranking system rather than a straight-up system to determine a national champion.

To determine the playoff field, then a new, NCAA-owned poll will be established. I'll call it the Playoff Poll. Like the others, it will rank the top 25 teams, which determines the playoff field.

• Top 25 teams will be in the playoffs
  • Bottom two teams (#24 and #25) will play a play-in game to determine the #24 seed
  • Top 8 teams will get a first-round bye
  • First and second rounds will be held at campus sites 
  • Elite Eight rounds are held at predetermined neutral sites 
  • Semifinals are 2/6 of the NY6 bowl games
  • Final is held at a predetermined site

Does that work?

Well, this has been the longest write-up ever. I'll wait a bit to do the other three sports.

"Hi, everybody!" - Dr. Nick Riviera

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

25 teams in the playoff? Nah... I prefer 12 teams myself. As for the scheduling, it seems overly complicated. Here's how to make this easier.

-8 to 9 games in conference play. Conferences with 14 teams (ACC, Big Ten and SEC) would have 6 divisional games and 3 non-divisional games. They would have one permanent cross divisional opponent and rotate between the other six teams on a home-and-home basis. This is done to assure that each school plays one another in a six year span.

-The Pac-12 already does a 9 game conference schedule, so there isn't any big need to fix that.

-The conferences with 12 teams (American, Conference USA, Mid-American and Mountain West) can do either 8 or 9 conference games.

-The Big XII and the Sun Belt, as the only 10 team conferences here, would have a round robin format.

As for non-conference games, teams are given three or four games. These are region based so as to avoid potential disastrous match ups.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

25 teams in the playoff? Nah... I prefer 12 teams myself.

I did 25 for a few reasons:

1. 25 is a nice, round number in the terms of polls and it seems like the further down the ranks you get, the more similar in skill you are. It'd seem strange that not every ranked team gets a playoff berth, and because the #24 and #25 teams are arguably equal in skill, it would be a nice precursor to the main postseason.
  2. The FCS playoffs already have 24 teams, so it makes sense that the FBS would be able to so the same.

As for the schedule, I wanted to have every team play the same amount of games. If a team with 9 games played 4 non-conference game, they would play 13, more than the 8-game conference teams.

I like the new ideas you had, though.

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

25 doesn't work because it adds one extra round for that play-in.

Ideally, 12 is best and most fair, which is why it would never be allowed. Can't have the smaller conferences getting automatic berths in the playoffs. So, with that in mind, eight is probably the most we'll ever see. Get the Power 5 champions in, ONE Group of 5 champion (chosen by some metric determined by the Group of 5), and then 2 at-large from the entire pool of teams. That includes Notre Dame, Power 5, and Group of 5. First round hosted at the higher seed's home venue (wherever that is). Semifinals and finals at neutral site after Christmas. Let first round losers be bowl eligible (four bowls would pick QF#1, QF#2, etc to have their pick of teams bowing out of the playoff to fill in their NYD or NYE bowls).

I'd be here for a 5-team playoff, and using the format the format that the NFL used to determine its conference champs in the 80s.  You could even reserve that last spot for a Group of 5 team since they'd be the road team in the play-in game in most years.

11 hours ago, Kaz said:

At this point it's either 4 or 8 teams for playoffs; anything over 8 becomes overkill, because how you spread out the games is limited because of the physical nature of football versus basketball and other sports with large tournaments.

Division III play 15 games, knock regular season back to 11 games and quit using BS reason of affecting exams when every other sport deals with it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I kinda like your regular season schedule. Having a more regimented non conference schedule with more schedule integrity and fewer cupcakes would be nice.  25 is too many.  I like 16 with 11 conference champs and 5 at large.  And most think that is too many.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

-BASKETBALL-

I have very little changes for this, but these are the most important:

• Remove the First Four from the postseason
  • Try to lessen the amount of true at-large bids by prioritizing teams that won the regular season but not the tournament, teams in average conferences that had good records, etc.

-REGULAR SEASON-

• 36 games total
    • Split 50/50 between in-conference and out of conference
    • In-conference games
      • Like the football out-of-conference games, a priority list exists for a team to determine the teams that they will play
      • Example list for Alabama:
        • Auburn
        • Georgia
        • LSU
        • Tennessee
        • Mississippi State
        • Ole Miss
        • Texas A&M
        • Arkansas
        • Kentucky
        • Missouri
        • Vanderbilt
        • South Carolina
        • Florida
      • 9 home-and home series against the top 9 teams in the list
      • Repeat the next year
    • Out of conference games
      • The 32 conferences are broken into 4 "tiers" to help determine the out-of-conference game
        • Tier I: American, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, C-USA, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC
        • Tier II: MAC, Sun Belt, Big Sky, CAA, Big East, Ivy League, SoCon, Summit League
        • Tier III: Patriot, Big South, NEC, Southland, MEAC, Ohio Valley, SWAC, Missouri Valley
        • Tier IV: America East, A-Sun, A-10, Big West, Horizon League, MAAC, WCC, WAC
      • 10 games against Tier I opponents (1 game per conference in addition to 3 more games against the conferences; rotates every year)
      • 4 games against Tier II and III (1 game per conference; 4 conferences faced switch every year)
      • 4 games against Tier IV (1 game per conference; 3 conferences faced rotate every year)

-POSTSEASON-

Aside from the proposed ending of the First Four, I want to put a sort of regional system currently used in the D1 baseball tournament. Instead of four geographic regions of 16 teams each, there are 16 regionals hosted at camous sites (for example, Boise State would host a regional at Taco Bell Arena). With that, the tourney becomes similar to the baseball tourney, but it is not double elimination.

Thoughts?

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

23 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I kinda like your regular season schedule. Having a more regimented non conference schedule with more schedule integrity and fewer cupcakes would be nice.  25 is too many.  I like 16 with 11 conference champs and 5 at large.  And most think that is too many.

This is the most fair model that I can think of. You're allowing Group of Five teams somewhat equal representation in a playoff and you'll get the top teams 1 to 2 more home games unless someone tries to use the bowls as a way of evicting 5-7 teams from making the post-season, which I'm against using bowls for anything other than the last two rounds.

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

Pay revenue-generating players

They will run afoul of Title IX unless they find a way to pay all athletes. If they didn't have to deal with this I think you would see teams doing this already. Also, most Group of Five schools can't afford cost of attendance bonuses that Power Five schools can offer now, so the gap will get even bigger. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived