Question about Hockey and Baltimore

BaltimoreFan

And let's not forget the Clippers and the short-lived Blades (nee Michigan Stags).

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Baltimore was supposed to get the final NHL expansion team in the 1967 expansion but Norris wanted the team in St. Louis (so it would be easier to sell St. Louis Arena, which he then owned) and somehow basically forced the league to put the team there.

Not that it has anything to do with teams in Baltimore today, just a little history lesson.

I believe Bill Wirtz of the Blackhawks was the one who owned the Arena.

Really? I always thought Vancouver was the one left out.

The Seals tried to move to Vancouver during their inaugural season but the NHL blocked them. Everything I've always heard before that season was that Baltimore got passed over for St. Louis.

I believe Bill Wirtz of the Blackhawks was the one who owned the Arena.

I thought it was the other owner with an interest in the Hawks, I'm fairly certain of it but I'm looking it up to be certain. I'm pretty sure it was Norris who at one time had some bit of control of the Black Hawks, Red Wings and Rangers, and owned the arena in St. Louis. The Wings and Hawks played a few regular season games in St. Louis in 1955 and 1956, with the Hawks as the home team, so you might be right.

EDIT: A couple good articles on it from the time, pulled from the archives of the Hockey History Yahoo!Group...

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/hockhist/message/28928

I don't know if you have to be registered to read them, if you do let me know and I'll post them here.

I had season tickets to the Bandits and Skipjacks. While the fans that came were as good as any hockey fans around, the numbers were always lacking.

One night I took my son, I think he was 3 or 4 at the time. It is one of my fondest memories. The Bandits used to have an eight Racoon for a mascot who would walk around and skate between periods. He comes skating out one time, and the conversation went something like this:

"Hey, dad."

"Yeah, Josh."

"He's not a real racoon!"

"Oh really, what makes you say that?"

"Everyone knows racoons can't skate."

He was so serious, forget the size of the racoon, he just knew a racoon couldn't skate. I about fell out of my seat laughing.

The Arena, formerly Civic Center, is ancient. Area is horrible, but getting much better. I think as the inner city continues to improve they may build another venue. But for the moment, they know they aren't getting NBA or NHL and they have a Convention Center so it's at the bottom of the list.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I'm not sure minor league, it seems it would be a good place for one maybe at the AHL level.

I'm not sure what you mean--but it sounds like you're saying they should have an AHL team, instead of a minor league...

The AHL IS a minor league...

If I have misread you, my apologies...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

a baltimore team really couldn't survive in the nhl, especially with the caps.

as for hockey in the south, put a decent team on the ice and the fans will follow. you're not going to get much of a fan base with constant losing teams. I'm one of the few down here that will put up with a piss poor team year after year. In all fairness, the thrashers have been putting pieces down for a potentially dangerous team in the future.

however i would rather see a team in Quebec or Winnipeg.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Archived