Relocation/Rebrand: San Diego Clippers

bnjmnmorse

As a college student a few years ago, one of my school projects involved rebranding the Los Angeles Clippers and moving the team to San Diego. I recently visited the proposal and reworked it a bit. Here is the mark I created when I initially did the project;

bcfdfe18933609.562d1cef4b9a0.jpg

And below is my refined concept. The look is meant to be an ode to all eras of the Braves/Clippers franchise, while maintaining a modern, clean feel. The uniforms are inspired by this, and the City edition pays homage to the San Diego Zoo.

PRIMARY.jpg

SDC_BILLBOARD.jpgSDC_UNIFORMS.jpgSDC_SHIRT.jpgSDC_SHIRT_2.jpgSDC_TICKET.jpgSDC_IPHONE.jpgSDC_PENNANT.jpg

I like the sails but the bottom wave is a bit awkward... Perhaps try the outline of a hull of a sailboat, or just a more consistent wave.

Also, it feels a bit empty on top where the sun was in the old SD logo. Maybe try bringing that back?

Colors are really nice, and I love that powder blue jersey, especially the sleeve and collar striping. The wordmark is a good compromise of the current and old fonts.

Definitely an improvement from your original attempt and the team's current logo!

Glad you changed that first concept a little bit, first thing I saw was a sinking ship (then again, it is the Clippers...)

Great start though! Thinking realistically, you'd have to throw in a logo with a basketball in it due to dumb NBA rules, but I really like where this is going.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I like the logo and colors, however I think Navy should be removed and it should only contain Powder Blue, Orange, and White.

I think white numbers on the powder blue away jersey would pop more. And instead of that navy jersey and orange jersey alternate with powder blue numbers with a white outline would look great.

Overall great execution definitely better than what the current Clippers have by a mile.

I'm going to echo the concern about moderately visible sails on waves. While a sinking ship is apt for the Clippers, this may be a little on the nose. 

After adding the ship I think this a good start, I like the Set Sail branding idea. I think the whites would look better if the shorts matched the sides of the powder and navys. 

I get the idea behind the SD Zoo as a inspiration point but that clashes hard with the other three uniforms. 

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived