Uniforms With Different Colored Helmets, Jerseys and Pants

Eichs15

Socks away from being a decent look....miles away from being a decent team.

matthew-staffordjpg-bf17cf11cebd9f0b.jpg

These were I believe brought up, but worth mentioning again...

photos.medleyphoto.2352056.jpg

And while I think orange pants do look better, this is perfectly fine

ncf_u_taylor_300x300.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gators have only worn blue jerseys/orange pants twice, to my knowledge. 1999 Florida State game, and the Sugar Bowl against Louisville in the 2012 season. And I can't understand why that combination isn't seen more often. 

gettyimages-158884490.jpg

Frankly, it might be an unpopular opinion but the "standard" home set for the Gators has never been my favorite because of the mismatched elements. This isn't a hard and fast rule (the Falcons fauxbacks would be an exception to it, for instance), but I'm not a huge fan of having different colored helmets, jerseys, and pants when you're not going from darkest color at the top down to the lightest color on the bottom. I mean, I'm not a big fan of mismatched sets in general (I'm a strict A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A type with my preferences...A-A-B-A is also ok more often than not as well), but I can go with it if there's some kind of gradual scale on the darkness-to-brightness scale (I agree 100% with BBTV that having white/gray as the helmet doesn't work in any cases, period). But, in the Gators case, the blue is obviously darker than the orange they use, so they don't fit the parameters.

There were plenty of things I hated about the Jim MacElwain era, but he did embrace the orange jerseys more than any Florida coach since the '80s and I liked it. They look better in orange, as far as I'm concerned. But Mullen appears set on making blue the dominant color again, if this season (where the only orange game was a non-conference game against Colorado State) is any indication. I'm sure I'll appreciate plenty of other more important things with Mullen but this is the sacrifice I suppose.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The Gators have only worn blue jerseys/orange pants twice, to my knowledge. 1999 Florida State game, and the Sugar Bowl against Louisville in the 2012 season. And I can't understand why that combination isn't seen more often. 

Hide contents

gettyimages-158884490.jpg

Frankly, it might be an unpopular opinion but the "standard" home set for the Gators has never been my favorite because of the mismatched elements. This isn't a hard and fast rule (the Falcons fauxbacks would be an exception to it, for instance), but I'm not a huge fan of having different colored helmets, jerseys, and pants when you're not going from darkest color at the top down to the lightest color on the bottom. I mean, I'm not a big fan of mismatched sets in general (I'm a strict A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A type with my preferences), but I can go with it if there's some kind of gradual scale on the darkness-to-brightness scale (I agree 100% with BBTV that having white/gray as the helmet doesn't work in any cases, period). But, in the Gators case, the blue is obviously darker than the orange they use, so they don't fit the parameters.

There were plenty of things I hated about the Jim MacElwain era, but he did embrace the orange jerseys more than any Florida coach since the '80s and I liked it. They look better in orange, as far as I'm concerned. But Mullen appears set on making blue the dominant color again, if this season (where the only orange game was a non-conference game against Colorado State) is any indication. I'm sure I'll appreciate plenty of other more important things with Mullen but this is the sacrifice I suppose.

When you say "mismatched elements" regarding Florida's standard home set, what exactly are you referring to?

2 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

@WavePunter - If I'm butchering terms, I'll apologize, but "mismatched elements" was just another way for me to say that the helmet, jersey, and pants were all different colors. 

Ah, I see.. I was assuming you meant inconsistent variations in striping patterns or something..

Not necessarily butchering terms, but it's tough to argue that those elements don't "match".. they're all school colors, feature the same striping pattern, and feature a similar style.. they just differ in base color... But they certainly match..

Although, I can understand preferring helmet and pants or helmet and jersey to match

Archived