My attempt to make good team logos

Matthew24

Hello folks, I decided to do a concept thread again to help my logo making skills. I doubt this will be spanning onward to a league or anything. I just trying to get use to making logos. It also something i can do till i can finally get back to do my story on the fan fiction section. I just moved BTW and it is crazy. Anyways..

This is a logo for a team I made for a fictional American football league called the IGFL (International Gridiron Football League). This is the Boston Minutemen based in Boston, Massachusetts.

OxpXKLH.png

The drawing was original as it a redo of my CSFL team Brooklyn Liberty (Made on my old Matthew25 account before Twitter locked me out from login in to it)

I redrew it and traced over the original drawing on PaintDotNet and added colors to help match the Patriotism of this team. The Original drawing is based on the logo in All Pro Football 2k8 and not on the unused New England Patriots team logo.  

Anyways, this is something to help me get better. Feedback is welcome and thank you for reading.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

Funny wow. Today I just started drawing up a concept for a football team named the Boston Minutemen. Wild how things can be sometimes. As to the design, I definitely could see it as a logo in the past. Good work. 

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Matthew24 changed the title to My attempt to make good team logos

Not bad for your first attempt. Thicken up the lines! Do that and this logo will appear a lot more professional looking. Another thing would be to switch the eye to navy, and add a pupil. It’ll look more uniform

without a random bit of light blue, and it looks like a mask without the pupil. Like I said it’s not bad for an early idea, make sure you’re looking at professional logos based off human faces to see some other things you can improve on.

Just now, TheBW91 said:

i really like the design of the logo but that eye just looks god awful no offense

None taken. the eye looks awful to me anyway. May try to update it soon. Doubt it will be today though, i got painters working my house.. Till the weekend.

2 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

None taken. the eye looks awful to me anyway. May try to update it soon. Doubt it will be today though, i got painters working my house.. Till the weekend.

Never mind, I actually had some time this morning to re-edit the logo.I follow @sleuthpanther advice and changed the eye color and gave it a pupil to make it look more official.

okl9HVu.png

I also found the time to change the color of the outline to Navy Blue and thicken up the outlines. To be honest it looks better then before and could pass for a logo during the 1950s or 1960s? Maybe 1970's but that could be pushing it. Then again the Patriots had the old logo from it inception to the 1990's so idk? I may try doing another logo i scanned the other day for you guys. Feedback is always welcome.

The base is fine, very classic profile silhouette. I think you should focus on much thicker shapes and then try to build the features inside of them with purposeful lines and choices. Don't think of sports logos as drawings, but think of them as heavy shapes conveying an image. 

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

8 minutes ago, DawgPacPBH said:

The base is fine, very classic profile silhouette. I think you should focus on much thicker shapes and then try to build the features inside of them with purposeful lines and choices. Don't think of sports logos as drawings, but think of them as heavy shapes conveying an image. 

I took your base silhouette and made something quick to show what i mean. In theory, mine is really just a big navy blue blob with one silver shape on top, and one on the outside. Obviously it may be hard to get it right the first or second time, but keep pushing yourself to use shapes more, logos should be bolder and simpler than a drawing or illustration. Don't focus on the lines that are part something, try and focus on that shapes that build it. 

dvK8JCn.png

Dribbble!

I see what you mean. The lines help me point where things should go. But I should focus on the shapes as I move onward. 

I'm gonna move forward from the minutemen for now and do another team. I want to do a new base sketch for the minutemen anyways. 

Thank you for the advice @DawgPacPBH

For sure, the lines are definitely key, but use them as a guide. 

Here's an example of something I worked on a while back. You can see I used lines at the beginning to sketch the basic idea, but then moved onto shapes and refined and refined until it looked right. The lines are a great starting point, but use them almost as a skeleton. 

DL1zKNr.png

Dribbble!

Pete's advice is way beyond mine, but I'd add that simplicity of colors is always good. Don't think beyond three colors at the most until you are done. Have one blue, a gray or white for the face(skin tones rarely work in logos), then the red trim. The other thing to note is how his eyebrow/ eye socket is more important than having an eye/ iris/ eyeball. THat's because, as he said, logos are not lines to make a drawing, they're shapes to convey some idea. Show he's angry, furious or something similar with his angular eyeball.

Again, Pete's advice is awesome, so everything he said.

39 minutes ago, dakotapalm said:

Pete's advice is way beyond mine, but I'd add that simplicity of colors is always good. Don't think beyond three colors at the most until you are done. Have one blue, a gray or white for the face(skin tones rarely work in logos), then the red trim. The other thing to note is how his eyebrow/ eye socket is more important than having an eye/ iris/ eyeball. THat's because, as he said, logos are not lines to make a drawing, they're shapes to convey some idea. Show he's angry, furious or something similar with his angular eyeball.

Again, Pete's advice is awesome, so everything he said.

Honestly I like simplicity designs as long as it works for a sports team. It the main reason i love the Scottish Claymores logo. Simple and gets to the point. I want to at least get better at making my logos look good enough to pass as something from it time period. Boston Minutemen looks good to me but can always be improved on. Like this next logo!

vVlxLda.png

This is the Seattle Angels, an team from my dormant OOTP Baseball league called the CBL. To be honest, i originally drew the S tried to traced it to make a logo and it didn't look good to be honest.. I then decided to do this one instead. Feedback is welcome and always nice to hear opinions to do this better.

Spoiler

WkBk9E7.png

This is the original if anyone was wondering how it looks.

Alright time for something different. I decided to recreate the PSFL Football League Logo. Never heard of it? Neither did I until years ago. This was a failed league that almost started in 1992. Sad to see it failed to launch bit at least the league and team logos survived. Might do it here for consistency but if people want to I will make a new thread for it. Anyway here is the League logo.

FhrauvV.png

And here is my version:

pf7qY6z.png

Pretty much a upgraded version of it with the green (Astroturf color) as the background instead of white.

Here the logo itself:

spacer.png

Any feedback will be nice. Honestly wished this league survived a lot longer then they did. Thanks for reading.

Archived