The Fields of the USFL

SFCOM1

Thanks, I will check. My copy of the old footage was very poor. And RFK stadium was a mud pit 3/4 of the year too.

OK I found a good clear pic of RFK as the Federals where playing the Gunslingers. The helmets where silver ans the helmet opening was grass green. Will make adjustments when I get home. Thanks! 🙂

9 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Are you sure about that late season field? In 1984, the Federals helmet was silver. 

• Like 1

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

6 hours ago, MSO94 said:

I think the Panthers failed then. They should have made them bigger. BUT if thats what they did. great job on recreating them. 

Good job Sir

The Lions helmet logo was the same size as well (The Silvedome used the same template for both teams)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MSO94 said:

Thought you may like this field I found. 

yx7Nb4p.png

Thanks, I am working on the profile for Mile High Stadium this weekend. For both the Denver Gold and the 1983 USFL Championship game.  

11 hours ago, MSO94 said:

2 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

Is this the same font the Bears used in their endzones for the same time period? It looks similar, but I can't tell for sure.

It is (but i think I need to "round out" the two "C's" They look a little "Flat"). Just no "Wishbone C" at midfield. I think that was either added during the NFL season or a couple of years later. This would work as the Bears field for the same time period till about Approx 1985 when I can verify the "Wishbone C" was added and the spacing for the yard lines on sideline was changed to 8"

Edited by SFCOM1
Clarification

Updated Chicago Blitz field (Matching the font in the end zone. Which was the same font used at Soldier Field from 1980 till the Bears moved out for the remodel of the stadium at the end of the 2001 Season)

gSK61fQ.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Superdome's helmet logo of the era was so small (About the the size as the one used in the Astrodome for the Oilers). And I believe they used either a small helmet or a small Saint's logo for the NFL team. And something entirely different for Tulane's logo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay real life (and completing my 28th season of High School Baseball umpiring this past week) kind of popped up. I will have fields for the Denver Gold and the 1983 Championship game (Also in Denver) completed shortly. Then I will move on to Jacksonville, Birmingham, and Memphis.

Edited by SFCOM1
Spelling and grammar

On 4/14/2019 at 12:57 AM, SFCOM1 said:

1983 Boston Breakers (Nickerson Field)

25fGg0b.png

Was the turf color just washed out or unusually light for this field? It's probably one of the lighter turf fields out there.

The Breakers at least did a good job making the field really feel like a home field with a full helmet logo at midfield and fully painted endzones. I'm hoping we see more of what the AAF was able to do in terms of field designs in the XFL.