The Fields of the USFL

SFCOM1

48 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

Was the turf color just washed out or unusually light for this field? It's probably one of the lighter turf fields out there.

The Breakers at least did a good job making the field really feel like a home field with a full helmet logo at midfield and fully painted endzones. I'm hoping we see more of what the AAF was able to do in terms of field designs in the XFL.

Yes the field was very worn and washed out. The darker green around the turf was actually real grass. Very odd set up for a Professional Team...that was not half bad. 

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

OK...Here is the best shot I can get for the 1983 USFL Championship Game at Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO (I could not match the 3% axis change on the skinned part of the field, so I got it as best as possible).

Michigan Panthers 24 Philidelphia Stars 22

KcXnofD.png

Edited by SFCOM1
New updated field post in place of
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now, The Arizona Wranglers from Sun Devil Stadium, on the campus of Arizona State University

ymIysWi.png

And 1984

TOB3Q1R.png

Edited by SFCOM1
Added stadium name
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Next up the Oakland Invaders 1983 to 1985 at the Oakalnd Alameda County Coliseum

3aHtyP0.png

TszVVGP.png

Edited by SFCOM1
Added stadium name
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, SFCOM1 said:

Next up the Oakland Invaders 1983 to 1985 at the Oakalnd Alameda County Coliseum

3aHtyP0.png

TszVVGP.png

I seem to recall some of the Raiders preseason games had the field orientated this way. An end zone ticket for the regular season game would get you a 50 yard line seat for the preseason, albeit very far away. 

iq5b7nF.png

@jc...

Yea this was the orientation of the field before the Raiders moved to LA. After they returned, the current orientation was created. (With "Mt. Davis" in the outfield). 

No problem, I did some digging as well. The orientation has changed much over the years. It has been both ways. I believe the orientation for the Invaders was chosen so the stands did not have to move so early in the season which would have killed the outfield grass. And they never expected crowds rivaling what the Raiders had.. I think even the most rabid USFL fans (Michigan, Philly, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Arizona) never expected a full house anyway.

The latest pic from pre-LA I was able to find, was a Getty photo from a preseason game in 1981. This had Al Davis with QB Steve Plunket warming up in the background. The pic had a clear shot of the outfield at the coliseum, there where no bleachers, so the orientation of the gridiron had to be Home Plate to Center field. 

2 hours ago, SFCOM1 said:

The latest pic from pre-LA I was able to find, was a Getty photo from a preseason game in 1981. This had Al Davis with QB Steve Plunket warming up in the background. The pic had a clear shot of the outfield at the coliseum, there where no bleachers, so the orientation of the gridiron had to be Home Plate to Center field. 

Do you mean QB Jim Plunkett? Steve Plunkett was the lead singer for Autograph, but I like the way you think:P

• Like 1
PersonDivided-2-1.png

10 hours ago, pokecat12 said:

Do you mean QB Jim Plunkett? Steve Plunkett was the lead singer for Autograph, but I like the way you think:P

Yea Jim Plunkett. My brain is a bit addled with training at work. LOL Not to mention I have High School 7 man officials training all this week at Sun Devil Stadium, on the Campus of Arizona State University. Lots of fun! 😄

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just a bump and FYI. I am still here and working on the USFL fields. Running into some problems with source material with Orlando, Portland, Jacksonville, and Memphis. I would be very happy!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI. I apologize on the delays on this thread. I just started my annual training for HS Football as a referee. This will be my 29th season in Arizona and 34th over all. I will update periodically as time permits. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did any teams change their fields for playoff games, as they do in the NFL? For example the Steelers will add the AFC logo to the left side of their endzone for the playoffs.

In the 1980s in the NFL, some teams would make changes, and changes were more likely to occur during the conference championships (sometimes with the opposing teams name in one of the endzones).

Also, I should note, I've been loving this thread, and I specifically re-built the USFL Uniforms Database website so that I can get the fields on there. I know you're busy now, but I'm looking forward to future updates!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, pitt6pack said:

Did any teams change their fields for playoff games, as they do in the NFL? For example the Steelers will add the AFC logo to the left side of their endzone for the playoffs.

In the 1980s in the NFL, some teams would make changes, and changes were more likely to occur during the conference championships (sometimes with the opposing teams name in one of the endzones).

Also, I should note, I've been loving this thread, and I specifically re-built the USFL Uniforms Database website so that I can get the fields on there. I know you're busy now, but I'm looking forward to future updates!

Not that much, There was some coloring added for the LA Express end zones. And a couple of fields added a USFL logo on "K's" restraining line. That would be about  it.