The Fields of the USFL

SFCOM1

As an offshoot the the NFL Fields and NFL Super Bowl Fields. I present! THE FIELDS OF THE USFL

First off the Michigan Panthers 1983 season

jAszQUN.png

And The Michigan Panthers 1984

Uwl0HoD.png

Edited by SFCOM1
Spelling
  • Like 3

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Awesome! I haven't seen much of USFL fields, so I'm going to be really interested in this thread.

I see the typical extra point line is at the 3 yard line, so I'm guessing the USFL took extra points / two point conversions from the 3 and not the 2? I never knew that.

Michigan though did have some of my favorite logos from the USFL. Not all the teams went this far painting the field. One of the best things about the AAF is that they put a lot of effort into each teams logos and really good field designs where possible (Salt Lake of course can't paint over a sown in field). 

25 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

Awesome! I haven't seen much of USFL fields, so I'm going to be really interested in this thread.

I see the typical extra point line is at the 3 yard line, so I'm guessing the USFL took extra points / two point conversions from the 3 and not the 2? I never knew that.

Michigan though did have some of my favorite logos from the USFL. Not all the teams went this far painting the field. One of the best things about the AAF is that they put a lot of effort into each teams logos and really good field designs where possible (Salt Lake of course can't paint over a sown in field). 

Yep they used the college rule for extra points and fieldgoals. Several teams did a lot of field work (Michigan, Memphis, Tampa Bay, LA Express) Some did very little (Philly, Oakland, and Chicago used the existing field template with minor tweeks like replacing the Eagles logos with USFL in the endzone and the stars logo helment in the center of the field). Some added new elements. Arizona was the first pro tenant in Sun Devil Stadium, Washington put no logos down at RFK, and in 84 Houston did not even put the turf coverings on the Astrodome dirt cutouts.

1984 Divisional Playoff June 20, 1984. Philadelphia Stars 28 New Jersey Generals 3 (Played at Franklin Field the former home of the Eagles and home to the Penn Quakers of Division 1 college football, as the Vet was not available due to a Phillies homestand)

DlyEOoA.png

Edited by SFCOM1
Spelling
  • Like 1

1984, 1985 Houston Gamblers Early season

l0qLjQR.png

Late season, during a long road trip for the Astros

rrkjiFb.png

Edited by SFCOM1
Field Clarification and spelling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MSO94 said:

Sorry the Michigan Panthers was the first one I saw. But I think they all could be a little bigger center logo wise

No problem. I made the logo based on the fields created for the Gridiron Fields Database (which I drew the Lions and several other NFL team fields for). The profile was created with exhausting research, and several photos from the archives of the Detroit News and Free Press showing the field being painted (they used new rolls of astroturf for the Panthers Logos and end zones, compared to the ones they used for the Lions at the Pontiac Silverdome). I feel very confident it is accurate rendition given the available photographic angles at the time, but I am always happy to receive constructive criticism. So I will take a look. 😀

Edited by SFCOM1
Missing word

14 hours ago, MSO94 said:

Sorry the Michigan Panthers was the first one I saw. But I think they all could be a little bigger center logo wise

One other thing I noticed as I was working on the USFL fields. Most teams did not use a logo in the middle of the field. So far only Michigan, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Washington (only for the opening game) Memphis, and Pittsburgh used a logo (helmet or team) first year. In the second and third year only a couple of teams did center logos, Most did end zone markings but very limited (Arizona, Tampa Bay). Oakland, Houston, and Denver had the baseball diamonds down Philadelphia and Pittsburgh covered the cut outs, while Houston did not. Chicago just did the end zones (as they where permanent on the astro turf and had soccer markings down as well (The center "Wishbone C" was Bears only and was painted only for the NFL season). And a couple only had the standard field markings (Houston, Washington 2nd year, and New Jersey as examples). Very odd, but most likely a cost cutting measure for the rent of the stadiums). 

Edited by SFCOM1
Clarification
  • Like 1

1984 Early Season Washington Federals

sepDSsV.png

1984 Late Season Washington Federals

V1r2aoF.png

Edited by SFCOM1
updated field graphic