NBA Tweaks (2/30 Los Angeles Lakers)

MJD7

NhQE8F5.png

Hey there, 

So now that all of the new City Edition sets have been released for this year, I figured now would be a good time to start showing some designs I've been working on over the past year or so. Given my past ventures into the MLB and NFL, I decided to take a stab at the NBA to see what I could do. This process admittedly did make me realize that most of the NBA sets are actually already pretty good, so I didn't feel the need to make too many changes. Here's how things are going to go:

• Each team will have 4 different uniforms with the designated Nike name: Association (home), Icon (road), Statement (Alternate), and City Editions. In my ideal world, white would still be most commonly worn at home (besides the Lakers, of course), with color-on-color match-ups only occurring when they would yield the best-looking results. The Classic Edition sets are out, as they would just be recreations of already-existing sets.
  • Teams would not be required to change their City Edition every year, but each team would be able to if they would like.This is so that teams that have created iconic City Edition looks that enhance their brand can keep them in the rotation, while teams that want to try different things out can do that as well.
  • If you have any ideas of anything you'd like to see yourself, especially with the Statement and City Editions, please feel free to let me know.

We will be going through the league in randomized order, so with that, we will start with . . . 

. . . the defending NBA champion Toronto Raptors!

pYhw81A.png

lJ5xIIT.png

Wj9Exjx.png

Qr6UWbO.png

• Purple makes its way back into the primary color scheme, acting as a pair opposite to red on the primary home uniform. The radially-arched wordmark is taken from the original raptor primary logo, mirroring the arch on the team's current set, with the striping taking inspiration from that inaugural uniform set
  • The dino logo doesn't make any appearance on the uniforms, but I imagine it would return as a secondary logo in this iteration. 
  • Purple returns as the primary away option, though red would be worn quite often as well, to commemorate the recent championship.
  • Since purple & red are close shades that can tend to bleed into each other, I used that to my advantage on the Icon and Statement Editions, using the opposite color as an outline to the wordmark in each of the jerseys. Said color also forms an inline to the black in the striping on each jersey to allow it to effectively "pop."
  • I kept it simple with the City Edition jersey, modeling it off of the original iteration, with the updated font. The chevrons on all the other jerseys now match this one, pointing to the north.

Thanks for checking this out, let me know what you think!

I low-key want to use your template for my very own basketball concept. May you allow it?

By the way, I like the inspiration from Toronto's inaugural uniforms WITHOUT directly copying it. It feels like a uniform set for the Raptors' identity with a tinge of Canada's Team shtick to it. I know not everyone go home satisfied, but hey at least there is a happy medium here.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:58 AM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I low-key want to use your template for my very own basketball concept. May you allow it?

By the way, I like the inspiration from Toronto's inaugural uniforms WITHOUT directly copying it. It feels like a uniform set for the Raptors' identity with a tinge of Canada's Team shtick to it. I know not everyone go home satisfied, but hey at least there is a happy medium here.

Sure, feel free to use it, I just found it in the Paint-users template thread.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Drop the “The North” alt. Make a black base version of your red and purple jerseys with Toronto on the chest. Otherwise really good! I like the first 3 uniforms a lot, adds a lot of needed character to their current set. Maybe even add one of the old alternate raptor logos to the shorts to pair with the ripped ball.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 12/4/2019 at 10:26 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Drop the “The North” alt. Make a black base version of your red and purple jerseys with Toronto on the chest. Otherwise really good! I like the first 3 uniforms a lot, adds a lot of needed character to their current set. Maybe even add one of the old alternate raptor logos to the shorts to pair with the ripped ball.

I don't think I'd want to drop the "North" alternate for the purposes of this series, since the City Editions are intended to be different. Here's a look at a black version of the main set though with the "Toronto" wordmark from the City Edition (which I never noticed wasn't actually used on the uniforms back in the 90's):

UTyxWAm.png

What do you think?

Alright, moving on to the next team in the order, the Los Angeles Lakers:

jw9ifY1.png

DDuINn9.png

LT64FKA.png

4wdSvOw.png

• Overall, I love the Lakers' new uniform update. Not much changes in the main set.
  • The Lakers are the one exception where, although the white uniform is the Association, the gold Icon uniform will be the main home uniform, save for Sunday games. The Statement and City Edition purples will be the main aways.
  • Speaking of the Statement Edition, it will probably be the most controversial uniform in this set. I tried to incorporate black, but in a more tasteful way than the team actually did. I can't think of an example where black, white, and two other colors can work, and this was no exception. Instead, since gold works as such a great shadow color on the white uniform, since the colors are close together, I basically did the opposite with this Statement uniform, with purple acting as the base, and black the shadow. This takes advantage of the two shades being in close proximity, and prevents the problem of the white & gold blending, since that is the most common "problem" with the purple Lakers uniforms.
  • As a compensation, as much as I enjoy the idea of the Lakers' "Lore Series" designs (save for last year's Magic Johnson uniform), I decided to go a much simpler route, and have a "throwback" as an extra purple option for the team that has a more "classic" feel. If it matters, I guess this could be the Kareem Abdul Jabbar edition in the Lore Series for the Lakers.

I'd love to hear what you think about the Lakers, and the Raptors as well, if possible!

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, MJD7 said:

Alright, moving on to the next team in the order, the Los Angeles Lakers:

jw9ifY1.png

DDuINn9.png

LT64FKA.png

4wdSvOw.png

• Overall, I love the Lakers' new uniform update. Not much changes in the main set.
  • The Lakers are the one exception where, although the white uniform is the Association, the gold Icon uniform will be the main home uniform, save for Sunday games. The Statement and City Edition purples will be the main aways.
  • Speaking of the Statement Edition, it will probably be the most controversial uniform in this set. I tried to incorporate black, but in a more tasteful way than the team actually did. I can't think of an example where black, white, and two other colors can work, and this was no exception. Instead, since gold works as such a great shadow color on the white uniform, since the colors are close together, I basically did the opposite with this Statement uniform, with purple acting as the base, and black the shadow. This takes advantage of the two shades being in close proximity, and prevents the problem of the white & gold blending, since that is the most common "problem" with the purple Lakers uniforms.
  • As a compensation, as much as I enjoy the idea of the Lakers' "Lore Series" designs (save for last year's Magic Johnson uniform), I decided to go a much simpler route, and have a "throwback" as an extra purple option for the team that has a more "classic" feel. If it matters, I guess this could be the Kareem Abdul Jabbar edition in the Lore Series for the Lakers.

I'd love to hear what you think about the Lakers, and the Raptors as well, if possible!

as a member of the anti laker blazer club, he did that set some justice dumping that black side panel. Salute to you! 

Archived