Bayerische Eishockey Liga 1989-90

JCRGraphix

The year is 1989, and we find ourselves in Bavaria for this next small project. I've created a six team hockey league, each team with local sponsors (using the name and logo of the time) and a light home and dark road uniform. I decided not to go overboard with the sponsors, but to use team colors for them.

map.png

Up first, we will take a look at Bergsteiger Garmisch:

Bergsteiger Garmisch

Name Translation: Garmisch Mountaineers

Sponsor: BMW

For Garmisch, I decided to use the Bergsteiger moniker since the area is a major ski resort in the Alps with the famous Zugspitze mountain used as a striping design. The logo comes from the coat of arms of Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

garmisch.png

9 hours ago, NiagaraConcepts said:

those uniforms of bergsteiger are amazing!

Thanks!

Next we travel a little further north for Munich. 

Mönche München

Name Translation: Munich Monks

Sponsor: Siemens

For Munich, I decided to use the monk from the city coat of arms as the basis for their branding.

munich.png

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

LOVE the heraldic feel to both of these concepts, JCR!

The Munich Monks sweater is really striking.

Would like to see Vegas Knights do something similar with an alt, using a big, bold heraldic pattern.

Nice little project. Looking forward to the rest.👍

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun!

Up next we head a little further north and west for Augsburg:

Steinmänner Augsburg

Name Translation: Ausgburg Stone Men

Sponsor: KUKA

For Augsburg, I used the the Stony Man, a life-sized stone figure on the eastern Augsburg city wall, as the basis for the team's name. It is considered good luck to touch the statue's nose. The colors and main logo come from the city coat of arms. 

augsburg.png

Next we go up to Ingolstadt for the Monster...

Monster Ingolstadt

Name Translation: Ingolstadt Monsters

Sponsor: Audi

For Ingolstadt, I went with a very traditional look using the colors from the city's coat of arms. The team gets their name from both the monster on the coat of arms and the fact that Ingolstadt was the setting for Frankenstein by Mary Shelly where Victor Frankenstein created his monster.

ingolstadt.png

27 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I like the project! It’s always nice seeing your work around here. I think the goalie template is an upgrade on the idea that you had when presenting the college teams in your previous series.

Thanks! Each goalie is hand drawn. I had 8 hours on a plane recently. 

On 2/9/2020 at 5:21 PM, JCRGraphix said:

The team gets their name from both the monster on the coat of arms and the fact that Ingolstadt was the setting for Frankenstein by Mary Shelly where Victor Frankenstein created his monster.

Clever connection there!

I love this project and I'm digging your goalies. All the logos feel pretty european in taste, not a simple thing to achieve.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Up next is something a little different... 

Legio Castra Regia

Name Translation: Castra Regia Legion

Sponsor: Osram

For Regensburg, I decided to go with the ancient Roman name of Castra Regina which was built for the Legio III in 179 AD. They also get their team name from the Legion.

regensburg.png

9 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Your goalie illustrations are great...in fact, the whole thread's got a nice feel to it.

I hafta ask...are the goalie names of any significance?

Not really. Just used a random name generator to make a more realistic looking product.

3 hours ago, NiagaraConcepts said:

really cool vibe on Legio Castro Regina

is Nuremberg next?

Thanks, our last one is actually Baureuth...

Walküre Bayreuth

Name Translation: Bayreuth Valkyries

Sponsor: Stäubli

For Bayreuth, my music nerd is showing. Bayreuth is famous for being the home of the composer Richard Wagner, whose most recognizable piece is ride of the Valkyries ("Kill the Rabbit"). The logo uses a strong Germanic letter with a Valkyrie wing.

bayreuth.png

Archived